DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-13-2013, 08:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:18
rango88 is on a distinguished road
Default my 2011 Ram 1500 Review

I did this for my 2011 Ranger and got a lot of positive feed back so I will do it here. I regularly update my review as time progresses.

*Truck: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500, Crew Cab, 4x4, 5.7L Hemi, 5 spd auto, Big Horn, 3.55 open diff. White in colour. 98L/26 gallon tank.

*Bought: Used
*Bought date: Feb 24 2013
*Mileage when bought: 60,000 Kms/37,500 miles
*Review date: Apr 14 2013
*Mileage when reviewed 62,000 Kms/38,700 miles

*Mods by previous owner: 2 inch lift, bilstein shocks front and rear, BFG ATKO stock size on 20' rims
*Mods done by me: Roll up tonneau cover, front window tint, K/N drop in air filter

***Initial thought when purchased (first drive home):

Coming from a small '11 Ford Ranger, 2wd, Manual, with the 4L SOHC, my initial thought was how improved the
-interior materials
-design
-the seat comfort
-ride comfort
-power
-luxuries

were in the ram. The Ram is a much nicer and more comfortable place to sit. Once I got the seat adjusted just right (took a few days with the power settings) I never complained about the seats to date. The ride when empty is a much improved and less jumpy then the Ranger was. Power is great and immediate but it took some time to get use to all that power under my foot. Braking performance is about the same but consider the Ram is about 2,000 lbs heavier then the Ranger, the brakes are quite better then I thought. The turning radius and the how wide the truck was prob the thing I liked the least. Fuel consumption was amazing on the ride home on the highway. I was concerned of the standard mirrors size (I wanted the towing mirrors but did not get them).

***After 2,000 Kms, my thoughts:
I love the truck, When I first purchased the Ram I liked it but I still missed the Ranger's size and fun to drive aspect. I also missed the smaller tank when it came to fill ups. The Ram costs about $30 more per fill up.

The Ram is smooth on the highway and once you get used to the throttle and power it merges on the highway effortlessly. I scared my fiance the other day when I gunned the throttle and went from 40 Kmh to 110 kmh in no time. I am still not a fan of the 5 spd auto, it is slow to kick down and the shiftronic (+/-) mode is slow to respond. I also feel like the 5 spd isn't that good for city driving. It gets in top gear to quickly and then when the MDS kicks in, ECO mode on and you hit a small hill, it jerks a little to summon the power and then there's too much power (still getting used to driving the truck so that could be the issue).

As for fuel consumption for those who care. I get worse MPG then the Ranger on average in every condition. I average 15L per 100/km on the highway and about 19L per 100/km in the city. Not bad for a large 4x4, but it makes me drive as conservative as I can (Didn't buy it for MPG, but trying to stretch every MPG without complaining). I still manage better MPG then my brother's 2010 Ram 2wd single cab so I am proud of the truck in that respect.

Headlights are much improved over dodges of old (2001 Ram 1500 and a 2003 Dakota were/are in the family). The foglights and low beams are great, some of the brightest I have experience with but the high are just adequate, not an issue, but I was expecting a little more.

Convenience is amazing, I like how the headlights and puddle lights in the mirror come on to ease entry. Step is a little high, but it doesnt bother me enough. Dials are bright and easy to read. Even the Evic is simple to use. I like the audio control placement and use, plus the evic buttons are easy to use. I am not a fan of the cruise toggle, but they changed it in 2012(?) to have it on the steering wheel. I don't use cruise that much, but the toggle is a bit of a pain.
Stock sound system is amazing. I would have liked the ALPINE set up, but the 6 speaker is great and meets my needs. Storage front and rear is amazing, I was able to stow all my tools away from sight (love the under rear seat storage the most).

Styling is still the best of all fullsize trucks (i even prefer the 2009-2012 Ram styling over the '13 models inside and out) but I wish my interior was all black like the Sport (dash and seats but no leather, I dislike leather). I love the look of the Ram and didn't think I'd like the chrome but if I were to buy new the Big Horn would still be my favourite choice.

I can't review reliability either but will do so over time, I keep thinking about the transmission issues of the past, but Seeing my brother's truck tow regularly with no issues, I will try to be more confident in the tranny's reliability. The interior so far is holding up, although the rubber mat in my center console near the HVAC system is loose but my brother has the same issue (twice he went to dodge and it's still doing it). No rattles or squeaks.

I can't review dealership experience as I have yet to go for maintenance or issues but based on my fiance's experience with her '12 Wrangler at our dealership, my experience should be great.

Overall the Ram is a better truck then the Ranger but that's like comparing low salt magarine to caviar. The Ram is a better performing, more comfortable and better looking truck then the Ranger. My only real issues are the steering feel (lacking a little and vague on center) and the transmission response. Mirrors are a non issue now, I prefer my mirrors over my brother's tow mirrors, they are more then adequate for the size of the truck when not towing. I have reviewed my truck as my DD. I barely use trucks for what they are designed for so I can't review towing, payload, bed space, etc but will when the time comes.

As a truck driven like a car it impresses me, I didn't think I would love it so much. Comparing it to the '13 Sierra 4.8L crew cab 4x4 I drove for a weekend, the Ram is better in every respect. It's still the only full size I see myself driving.

Next review will come at a later date.

Last edited by rango88; 04-13-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 04-13-2013, 09:00 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Express 5.7L 4x4
Trim Level: EXPRESS
Color: FLAME RED
Rep:27
letsjet is on a distinguished road

Traded my 2005 Ram 1500 4 x 2 standard cab for a 2011 slt 4 x 2 quad cab. The 2011 rides like my Challengers. Both had/have the 4.7L V8 but the 2011 has about 80 more hp. This is my 4th 1500. The 2011 is the best truck I've owned.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Blue
Engine: 2010-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 383hp 400lb/ft (2500/3500)
Rep:10
fatback99 is on a distinguished road

I went from an 07 Ram 1500 slt hemi to a 2011 Sport. I feel like I'm riding in a car now. My 07 had a different tone due to the resonator they had on it, but I'm amazed at how different the ride and interior is.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:17 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 4x4
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Rep:39
Porter_ is on a distinguished road

great review! sounds like you're really enjoying the new truck. a couple comments and things that hit home with me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rango88 View Post
Overall the Ram is a better truck then the Ranger but that's like comparing low salt magarine to caviar.
ha great analogy

Quote:
My only real issues are the steering feel (lacking a little and vague on center)
this is my biggest issue as well. there seems to be a lot of play in the on-center feel. i find myself making a lot of subtle corrections while driving down the highway. after almost 2 years of ownership i've grown used to it, but every time i drive my wife's Honda Civic i'm reminded of just how floaty the steering feels in my Ram.

Quote:
Comparing it to the '13 Sierra 4.8L crew cab 4x4 I drove for a weekend, the Ram is better in every respect.
i traded in an '08 Sierra 4.8L for this truck and i agree. i loved the Sierra but my Ram is a better truck as a DD.

Quote:
I have reviewed my truck as my DD. I barely use trucks for what they are designed for so I can't review towing, payload, bed space, etc but will when the time comes.
same here. i use my truck for truck-duty very rarely but it's damn handy to have when you need it. it does make for a fantastic grocery-getter
Old 04-18-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porter_ View Post
great review! sounds like you're really enjoying the new truck. a couple comments and things that hit home with me:

ha great analogy

this is my biggest issue as well. there seems to be a lot of play in the on-center feel. i find myself making a lot of subtle corrections while driving down the highway. after almost 2 years of ownership i've grown used to it, but every time i drive my wife's Honda Civic i'm reminded of just how floaty the steering feels in my Ram.

i traded in an '08 Sierra 4.8L for this truck and i agree. i loved the Sierra but my Ram is a better truck as a DD.

same here. i use my truck for truck-duty very rarely but it's damn handy to have when you need it. it does make for a fantastic grocery-getter
Thank You

-I do miss the vinyl floors my Ranger had, I just took up a side construction job and now I am worried about my carpet and Ram Floormats lol. But other then that I prefer the refinement the Ram brings over the Ranger

-My summer toy is a '90 Mazda Miata, so going from the direct feel of the miata to the ram will be a huge disappointment. I am getting use to the lack of feel but Miata season is coming.

-When I got the '13 Sierra it was a rental (Ranger was in the shop for minor hail damage) I was disappointed since they had a '12 Ram QC Hemi on the lot and I was hoping to get it, but I only had a choice between two Sierra, both the same just different colours. The Sierra impressed me, I normally not too keen on GM products but driving the sierra I'd have the 5.3L instead but overall, it's not a truck I would mind driving everyday but there are other fullsizes I would own first.

-So far the back seat has been used 3 times, twice for adults and once for 2 children in car seats and I am glad I got the crew cab instead of the Quad, the extra space is amazing
Old 04-18-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatback99 View Post
I went from an 07 Ram 1500 slt hemi to a 2011 Sport. I feel like I'm riding in a car now. My 07 had a different tone due to the resonator they had on it, but I'm amazed at how different the ride and interior is.
comparing my mother's '01 Ram 5.2L to my '11 really shows the decade of improvements made in the Ram market lol
Old 04-18-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsjet View Post
Traded my 2005 Ram 1500 4 x 2 standard cab for a 2011 slt 4 x 2 quad cab. The 2011 rides like my Challengers. Both had/have the 4.7L V8 but the 2011 has about 80 more hp. This is my 4th 1500. The 2011 is the best truck I've owned.
I don't use trucks for what they are designed but I grew up around trucks so it's what I prefer to drive, so i could have easily bought a Charger with similar powertrain but I love this Ram, and like you say, the extra oomph the hemi brings is a welcome bonus, but I have yet to use all 390 HP
Old 04-18-2013, 04:07 PM
"Just living the dream"

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn Rambox
Color: Prairie Pearl / White Gold Trim
Rep:1634
Chunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant future

Great write up....Thanks for the review....Looking forward to the next one......

Enjoy RamForumZ? Support your forum and become a SITE SUPPORTER today!

Please be sure you understand the Ram ForumZ RULES

"MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE SITE"
Old 04-18-2013, 04:30 PM

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:418
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice

Thanks for the review. You might find a better tire when these wear out that give better steering feel. I came out a 2000 Tacoma 4x4 extra cab to my 05 QC4X4 Ram. Within 2 weeks my back problems were over. Gas mileage has been about the same= 16 mpg or so. But the Ram handles way better on bad roads, sucks up the bumps where the Tacoma was hobby horsing and bouncing like a buckboard. Now we can go with 2 other couples in comfort.
Inertia Spartan Plus cam, Circle D 3,000 rpm stall converter,Sonnax line pressure booster, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Rancho 9000's,3:92's, extra rear leaf.Line-X Bedliner, 210,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW
Old 04-18-2013, 04:58 PM

Vehicle: Ram1500
Rep:14
moulin6801 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review. I got a new 2013 with 8 gears and I could see how not having it you would feel a greater jump on the gears...
Could you tell more about the Bilsteins shocks and the lift.
I choose not to buy the air ride. The 2013 have enough Eletronics on it to go wrong, did not think I need to add more potential problem. Plus, I though that I may want to lift it down the road. My ride is as good as the Air ride. ( test drove both quite a few times)
So, how do you like it?? Could you tell much of the difference between the Mopa and Bilsteins?
Do you think that the lift decreased MPG.??
Thanks!!!