DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires

Notices

Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires General discussion related to wheels and tires.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-21-2013, 05:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl(Its effin Dark Red)
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:26
jdip is on a distinguished road
Default Tire wear and off balance. Is the dealer lying to me?

Just bought a 2012 Outdoorsman from a Chevy Dealership near me (was transferred from a Dodge Dealership in NC). I have had a few problems this week since (currently waiting on dodge to replace the ambient light sensor, and had to have the RHB updated due to some software issues) not to mention I am still fighting with the Chevy delaership since they owe me a back up camera as they sold me the truck with that listed as a feature, and alas it does not have one. Anyway Since I am new to trucks I took it up to visit my girlfriend in VA this weekend. Since I have had the truck I have noticed some rhytmic rubbing sound however it seems to have gotten worse (only noticed it next to another vehicle/when it echoed off a nearby object) and now its very obvious now. It does increase with speed, and slow down when I do etc. Had my girlfriend do some circles in the parking lot around me, no debris, no tire damage evident. Seems to be Front Driverside and maybe a little of the front passenger side. I dropped by a tire shop in VA and they said the tires were off balance, and had uneven wear. Considering the truck is a week old I took it back to the dealer where I am sure they were so happy to see me. I have the tire and wheel premium coverage, however this obviously isnt damage so it probably isnt covered. Its over there now getting a free alignment and rotation however they told me if its uneven wear it wont go away without a tire replacement.

Here is where my question comes in. Tech says he had a silverado with similar tires (stated they suck) and his did it too. He said even if the tires are replaced with similar All terrain ones they will eventually wear unevenly too due to the way the tread is. Is this true? He states only way to get rid of it is less aggressive tread and if i got the same tires it would happen again. It seems plausible, he states there are a few brands that do not do this but do to my inexperience with trucks I wanted to run it by you guys, until I get to be a better guru. Currently there are Goodyear Wrangler (not sure what version) 70r17 they appear relatively new as far is the tread goes.

Any direction would be appreciated, I really do not want to have to buy new tires but that noise is driving me crazy, and is a head turner. I find it hard to believe that its a natural thing considering I dont see every truck with oversize tires, and all terrain tires doing this.
Again thanks guys, you all have been the best helping me get acclimated into the world of owning a truck.
Sponsored links
Old 05-21-2013, 05:58 AM

I got it back from them with a new alignment and rotation at no charge. Problem still exists now just at the back of my truck.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:1900
gonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant future

I'm assuming you have the duratracs?? and not the stock wranglers HPs?

so it's just a rhythmic sound you hear? not an actual vibration or anything??
JVC Arsenal KD, Bilstein 5100 adjustables [maxed], aFe Stage 2 Air Intake, Superchips 3865, Husky Floor Mats, Saddleman Camo Seat Covers, Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler SI/DO, 20 % Tint. 35x12.5x17 Federal Couragia M/T, 17x8.5 VTEC Warlord wheels, -12mm offest.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:43 AM

Correct no actual vibrations just the sound. I have the truck at dodge today to have the light sensor replaced and they are gonna look at the problem for a second opinion and write it up for me so hopefully Chevy will replace the 2 tires assuming thats what it is. Dodge tech said now that the truck is properly aligned there is no reason it should happen again with the same tires as long as I keep up with allignments every 15000 and rotations every other oil change. He did confirm my drivers rear (formally drivers front before yesterday when they rotated the tires) is badly cupped on the inside. I believe him a little more but we will see what they find for me today. As for the tire I believe it is the stock wrangler HPs not sure the difference between the duratracs. I just want to be sure if I get Chevy to replace the tires they will probably do the same ones but I want to assure this wont happen again especially since I now have the allignment completed which it seems the truck didn't have when I received it.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

gonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant future

u kept saying an all terrain tire...pretty sure the stock wranglers are far from an all terrain tire. the duratracs are beefy and tready and look like a mix between a all terrain and a mud terrain.

if ur tire was badly cupped the. hopefully they'll give u new ones and ur problem will go away. as for the wrangler HPs. shittiest tire ever, I'd get rid of them as soon as u can
JVC Arsenal KD, Bilstein 5100 adjustables [maxed], aFe Stage 2 Air Intake, Superchips 3865, Husky Floor Mats, Saddleman Camo Seat Covers, Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler SI/DO, 20 % Tint. 35x12.5x17 Federal Couragia M/T, 17x8.5 VTEC Warlord wheels, -12mm offest.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:48 PM

Possibly is the duratrac they have some nice tread to them. And as for an update I'm really glad I asked dodge to look at it. They returned the truck to me today and advised me the issue is still in the front and after investigation it is the wheel that has some damage. They submitted a claim to dodge and said it should be covered under warranty but will take a week to find out. Either way I have the tire and wheel warranty with Chevy however I am still planning on attempting to get the rear tires replaced by Chevy considering i still feel a little screwed over
Old 05-21-2013, 03:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

that is some decent news!
Old 05-21-2013, 04:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

i would find a tire shop that has the Hunter Road Force Balance Machine
if you continue to have issues
In your area you have Discount Tire & Clark Tire, they both have that machine
enter your Zip Code & find other places near your location
http://www.gsp9700.com/search/FindLocations.cfm

once cupping is noticeable, i doubt that it can be corrected
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 05-21-2013, 04:29 PM

Thanks ill check that out. I know there isn't any going back on what's on the tires already which is my hopes that they will replace them and since I actually had an alignment which I would hope this wont continue. Only one way to find out. I'll be off to Chevy sales tomorrow.