DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram – 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-07-2013, 08:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.9l
Trim Level: sport
Color: yellow
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
partsmore is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb anyone ever bypassed the ECM voltage regulator and ran on 16 volts?

Electrical
installing New Starter paint yellow

HELP!:
Installing new alternator paint yellow but,

– 16 volt upgrade (need help)
- HAS anyone bypassed the regulator in the ECM and used an EXTERNAL
regulator - so I can install an Adjustable regulator to charge my 16 Volt
battery. (The my battery has a 12v and 16v terminal.
The Oem neg cab has three wires, one small one to frame, and two other very small body grounds.
Im going to ground my 16v battery with a large ground to frame, and to medium grounds to the body / engine.
The Oem POS cable has two wires, one to the fuse box / power supply, and one larger one going across to starter terminal.
Im planning to run a Larger YELLOW fine strand cable to the starter from the 16 volt battery terminal.

Im planning to run a MED RED fine strand cable to the power supply from the 12 volt terminal on the battery.
(once I confirm the ECM & injection system can handle the 16v+ - I’d like to convert the whole truck over.)

All of the electric motors, etc will handle it, just need to worry about other things……. first
I know the starter will be faster, and last longer…… I know if I can run the ignition on 16v I’ll get more power and performance….
SO, any ideas on getting an alternator mounted on this truck, to charge the 16v AGM battery ?????
Approx 19.25v max is idea. Im thinking 110 – 130a will be enough, even with amps, and added lighting.
Current load will be OEM, but will add a stereo amp on the 16 volt side in the future.
Looking then for instructions to wire in a Transpo911-02r adjustable regulator….
Im ok if the battery light comes on and stays on….)
Sponsored links
Old 05-07-2013, 09:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I'm having some trouble understanding what you wrote, but WHY would you want to do this? Everything on the truck is designed to run on 14v(that's what the charging system puts out). You're starter, etc will not last longer, and you won't get more power/performance...You'll just burn up a lot of electronics in your truck faster.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:54 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Exclamation why

Because:

I invented a 12/16 volt battery for high performance audio and racing.

Most drag racers use and love 16v.

Many manufacturers are considering a change to 16v or 48v.

I want to use my pickup to promote the batteries, and install a HP sound system. I also know that the hotter spark will increase hp by 20-40....
or atleast get better milage.

So, the question is, can someone help me bypass the ECM voltage regulator and install an adjustable regulator (Transpo 911-02r) so I can charge the battery at 18.75 volts approx?
Old 05-07-2013, 09:54 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

You don't know enough about what you're talking about. There is no "ecm voltage regulator". The voltage regulator is almost always part of the alternator. You will burn up the pcm. You will most likely burn up just about everything electronic on the truck. More voltage does not necessary mean more power. If that's all it took to get 20-40hp then every manufacturer would have done it by now. The charging system puts out ~14v, not 12v. Everything is designed to run on 14v.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:04 AM

Vehicle: '12 ram 3500
Trim Level: laramie limited
Color: mineral grey
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:29
scrappy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
You don't know enough about what you're talking about. There is no "ecm voltage regulator". The voltage regulator is almost always part of the alternator. You will burn up the pcm. You will most likely burn up just about everything electronic on the truck. More voltage does not necessary mean more power. If that's all it took to get 20-40hp then every manufacturer would have done it by now. The charging system puts out ~14v, not 12v. Everything is designed to run on 14v.
The voltage regulator IS in the ECM, it is NOT in the alt. the alternator is externally regulated. I do not know if it is capable of being regulated by something other than the ECM though. is there an aftermarket 16v alt available?
since the battery has 12v AND 16V, you are talking about hooking everything in the truck up to the 12v terminal and running the Alt /starter @ 16V?
Old 05-08-2013, 07:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappy View Post
The voltage regulator IS in the ECM, it is NOT in the alt. the alternator is externally regulated. I do not know if it is capable of being regulated by something other than the ECM though. is there an aftermarket 16v alt available?
since the battery has 12v AND 16V, you are talking about hooking everything in the truck up to the 12v terminal and running the Alt /starter @ 16V?
Sean is clueless, every line is false....

I built a Nippendenso 16 volt (fully adjustable voltage) with 135a and internally regulated. It can be set at the low end of the range to keep the 12/16 volt battery fully charged. (18.25) -Wiring it is where I need assistance.

Id like to start by hooking the truck cab items to 12 and the alt / starter to 16 volt. The real benefits are getting the coil 16v, for hotter spark. (Will be using an aftermarket coil anyway.

Wiring the starter to 16v and the fuse box(es) to 12v appears to be relatively easy.

Then when I add the performance audio components, they will also all perform better on 16v.

I really have my doubts it the 16v+ will even hurt anything.

From our racing experience ohms law benefits us, and everything just runs 33% faster, and draws less amperage. A hotter spark, and wider gapped plug burns more efficient = more performance and mpg.

Any healp would be appreciated.

Beleiving that the OEMs, would do something because it makes sense is cray in and of itself!
Old 05-08-2013, 07:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
I'm having some trouble understanding what you wrote, but WHY would you want to do this? Everything on the truck is designed to run on 14v(that's what the charging system puts out). You're starter, etc will not last longer, and you won't get more power/performance...You'll just burn up a lot of electronics in your truck faster.
The starter WILL last longer, create less heat with less amperage draw, and we WILL get more power and performance. You DONT know what you are talking about
Old 05-08-2013, 08:02 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3872
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

If you know all this then why the thread?

You had no assistance until Sean posted on this thread and now you're picking him apart?

Not nice.

Grub out!
Old 05-08-2013, 08:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:1893
gonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubrunner View Post
If you know all this then why the thread?

You had no assistance until Sean posted on this thread and now you're picking him apart?

Not nice.
In his defense, there is a question in there he wants answered. How to bypass the ECM.

However, let's not let this get hostile Let's make it a learning experience for all involved.

It's seems to be a very complicated subject that I don't see discussed on here much, as most of us are just slightly mechanically inclined average joes. This electrical stuff obviously takes some know how.

Keep it civil!
JVC Arsenal KD, Bilstein 5100 adjustables [maxed], aFe Stage 2 Air Intake, Superchips 3865, Husky Floor Mats, Saddleman Camo Seat Covers, Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler SI/DO, 20 % Tint. 35x12.5x17 Federal Couragia M/T, 17x8.5 VTEC Warlord wheels, -12mm offest.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:42 AM

It's all good. Since more is better, why stop at 16 volts? I say run a 1000 volt battery, and open up the spark plug gap to about 3 inches. That should add about 300hp...