DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-23-2013, 03:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Maximum Steel
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:39
tev9999 is on a distinguished road
Default When to Buy?

Hi everyone,

I am really getting that new car itch and am probably going to switch from the SUV/Crossover world back to a pickup. I really like the look of the Ram 1500, but am still in the research phase. I am currently driving a 2008 Saturn Outlook (paid off) and am not under any pressure to buy - other than that devil on my shoulder that keeps saying "Go Buy Now!"

I don't tow or haul much - I just really like the convenience of being able to throw a couch or yard of mulch in the back. For this reason I think the V6 would be fine. I also want a crew cab, so it looks like that limits me to the SLT. Looks like I will also go 4x4 as 4x2 seems impossible to find here in Michigan.

My other desires:
- Big Horn Package (what is the difference between SLT +BH vs. the BH base?)
- Remote Start package
- Luxury Group
- Uconnect 8.4
- Backup Sensors/Camera

Looks like this gives me a MSRP of right around $42,000.

When is the best time to buy? I'm thinking I should wait a few months until 2014s start rolling for better incentives, but don't really know the market status. Looks like $8-10K off of MSRP is typical today, so there can't be crazy demand.

I'm also really confused on Conquest incentives. I would be willing to trade in my Outlook, but not if they are going to lowball me $3000 to give me a $1000 rebate. I have no problem doing a private sale.

I'm also going to look at doing the PenFed 1.74% pre-approved loan unless the dealer can give me a reason not to.

Any other must-haves for a non-work crew cab?
Sponsored links
Old 05-23-2013, 04:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Copperhead Pearl/White Gold
Rep:67
Powerwagon 46 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tev9999 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am really getting that new car itch and am probably going to switch from the SUV/Crossover world back to a pickup. I really like the look of the Ram 1500, but am still in the research phase. I am currently driving a 2008 Saturn Outlook (paid off) and am not under any pressure to buy - other than that devil on my shoulder that keeps saying "Go Buy Now!"

I don't tow or haul much - I just really like the convenience of being able to throw a couch or yard of mulch in the back. For this reason I think the V6 would be fine. I also want a crew cab, so it looks like that limits me to the SLT. Looks like I will also go 4x4 as 4x2 seems impossible to find here in Michigan.

My other desires:
- Big Horn Package (what is the difference between SLT +BH vs. the BH base?)
- Remote Start package
- Luxury Group
- Uconnect 8.4
- Backup Sensors/Camera

Looks like this gives me a MSRP of right around $42,000.

When is the best time to buy? I'm thinking I should wait a few months until 2014s start rolling for better incentives, but don't really know the market status. Looks like $8-10K off of MSRP is typical today, so there can't be crazy demand.

I'm also really confused on Conquest incentives. I would be willing to trade in my Outlook, but not if they are going to lowball me $3000 to give me a $1000 rebate. I have no problem doing a private sale.

I'm also going to look at doing the PenFed 1.74% pre-approved loan unless the dealer can give me a reason not to.

Any other must-haves for a non-work crew cab?
Before ordering my truck it was my intent to order a SLT with the BH package and few other options. I wanted the V6 primarily for mpg but really wanted the Laramie package for looks and other creature comforts, which was not possible. However, when the 8 sp transmission became available the mpg's on the Hemi became so close to the V6 (1 mpg penalty in city driving) I decided to go with the Hemi/8sp combo. The end result is that I ordered a Laramie Longhorn CC, 4X4 with just about all the bells and whistle. Patiently waiting for it to arrive!

Regarding demand, it seems to be strong. I would be surprised if you could get $10k off of a $42 truck. Of course I could be wrong (again)!
Old 05-25-2013, 01:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Maximum Steel
Rep:39
tev9999 is on a distinguished road

Got a chance to test drive one yesterday. They didn't have anything on the lot similar to my desires, but they did have a V6 quad cab they let me take out. Seemed to have plenty of acceleration, nice ride, etc.

The sales guy didn't seem to know too much - I think I knew the packages better. Zero pressure thankfully, but almost seemed like he didn't want to bother with much of anything - fine for me since I really only wanted to get inside one. Wish they did have one a little better equipped so I could play with stuff. They did have a Laramie longhorn fully loaded in the showroom. The interior is hideous IMO on that one.