DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-24-2013, 10:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport Quad Cab
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:24
StuderCo is on a distinguished road
Question Interior Bad Smell in Sunlight

I've had my '13 Sport since Dec 31st, and ever since winter has 'ended' here, and the sun came out, my truck has smelled AWFUL after it sits in the sun. I mean like rotting fish smell. I have the cloth + leatherette trim seats, quad cab, black interior mostly. It never really goes away when I drive it, just gets lessened when I let the air system flow for a while.

It's directly linked to sunlight. If the truck sits in the garage, it's much less of a bad smell. But it's still there. Help please. This truck smells awful and it's pretty embarrassing. Also, let's just say my dealer is less than helpful.
Studs, Gaskets, EGR del, 4" Turboback, SCT X3 w/ SPD, PHP Hercules 100, 4.5" lift, S&B Intake, Coolant Filter, Black Bumpers, 35x12.5x20", Smoked Lights, 6000k HID's
Sponsored links
Old 05-24-2013, 10:49 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 CC
Trim Level: Laramie Crew
Color: Western Brown two tone (Hershey Bar)
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:12
jlc41 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you have a dead critter in there some where. Sorry for you, but it looks like you may have to pull the interior apart. Good luck.
tint, drop in bed liner, Avs window shades, Raptor bed rails, Dee Zee tail gate damper, Genos cabin air filter, Bak Roll-x cover, Weather tech mud flaps, Recon Xtrem tailgate bar, Moroso catch can, DoMore Slide Step, 5/16 Dual pin stripe, Reese lighted hitch cover, Master lock for hitch receiver.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc41 View Post
Sounds like you have a dead critter in there some where. Sorry for you, but it looks like you may have to pull the interior apart. Good luck.
I would be very surprised if there's a dead animal in here other than possibly a mosquito or two. I really do put effort in to keep the truck pretty clean. I dust it at least every week, vacuum out the interior every 2 weeks or so, wash the truck every week, etc etc. It's also hasn't been left alone for any period of time with the doors or windows open. The fish smell is slightly "synthetic", for lack of a better word. It's not as...well..."full" as a real fish smell. It's very close to it though.
Studs, Gaskets, EGR del, 4" Turboback, SCT X3 w/ SPD, PHP Hercules 100, 4.5" lift, S&B Intake, Coolant Filter, Black Bumpers, 35x12.5x20", Smoked Lights, 6000k HID's
Old 05-24-2013, 11:02 AM

Trim Level: Sport Crew Cab
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Rep:18
rjmlakota is on a distinguished road

I have a 2013 Ram Sport Crew Cab 4x4 with the black interior. I've had since Jan 3
I have a smell as well. However, I wouldn't say it's a dead critter in my circumstance. Mine is more of a plastic smell. I've tried air fresheners, opening the windows at 60. The smell does seem to be subsiding as time passes. It's definitely not that "NEW" car sent that everyone likes!
Old 05-24-2013, 11:05 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4362
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Did you install the Cabin air filter?, if not, sometimes stuff gets into like leaves and crap in the air intake for the cabin, they end up on the air conditioning unit and get moldy due to the humidity there. if this is the case, you would need to clean it out with a spray made for this and I would install the cabin air filter, the carbon one with fabreeze is nice. Cheap mod that take 15 min to do and keeps your interior nice and clean also.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:10 AM

Vehicle: 2010 dodge ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Brillant Black
Rep:168
scmedic09 has a spectacular aura aboutscmedic09 has a spectacular aura about

id say its probably chemicals leeching out of the plastics/trim, and leather, and glue from the carpeting etc. I could be wrong though, but to me it makes sense, the sun heats up these products, which in a sense "opens the pores" and allows the smells out. ive noticed it in my new vehicles in summer, but leaving the windows down a crack helped let them escape, and either i grew accustomed to them or they eventually all leak out/absorb your `personal scent`per say haha
Old 05-24-2013, 11:11 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport 1500 True Blue
Rep:91
nikeman will become famous soon enough

Is this not related to the hose thing others have talked about? Maybe the sun is causing the plastic to stink like the antifreeze does or what ever the problem is for the other guys.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:17 AM

This is good info. I agree...it's somewhat of a plastic smell...but it's like a plastic dead fish, for lack of a better description. It's bad. And yes, it's DEFINITELY NOT the new car smell everyone likes. It's the worst "new car" smell I've ever had.

As far as the cabin air filter, this may sound stupid but...hasn't a cabin air filter been standard equipment on every vehicle for the past 20+ years? I had no clue that a cabin air filter would be a mod any more than a reclining front seat LOL. For $45k+, shouldn't there be a cabin filter installed? LOL
Old 05-24-2013, 11:36 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4362
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuderCo View Post
This is good info. I agree...it's somewhat of a plastic smell...but it's like a plastic dead fish, for lack of a better description. It's bad. And yes, it's DEFINITELY NOT the new car smell everyone likes. It's the worst "new car" smell I've ever had.

As far as the cabin air filter, this may sound stupid but...hasn't a cabin air filter been standard equipment on every vehicle for the past 20+ years? I had no clue that a cabin air filter would be a mod any more than a reclining front seat LOL. For $45k+, shouldn't there be a cabin filter installed? LOL

You would think that for 25$ they would put one, but Not on the Ram, no cabin air filter on all trucks. Go to geno's garage and pick up the kit.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
You would think that for 25$ they would put one, but Not on the Ram, no cabin air filter on all trucks. Go to geno's garage and pick up the kit.
Haha wow. I'm actually surprised here. It's a cabin air filter. Every vehicle has one. Ok I'll be looking into it right away.