DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion > Other Vehicle Discussion

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-07-2013, 12:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:2008
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

Positives:

Higher ride height
A feeling of unlimited power
Larger improvements with a tuner over the gas
Never have to worry about the engine as long as you take decent care of it.

Negative:

Unloaded ride compared to 1500 sucks
MPG's will always suck until you delete it
Deletes void warranties
If you don't do the deletes and don't pull heavy loads often your MPG's will suffer more because the truck will do regeneration's more often to clear out the DPF filter.
Requires a more... in touch operator(Allow for warm up times in the cold season, plug it in etc)

Sorry for jumping in but I figured I could offer my limited insight since having that 2012 cummins not to long ago.

Chrome... in moderation.
Sponsored links
Old 06-07-2013, 01:35 PM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: '15 Ram 1500 Longhorn EcoD
Trim Level: CC, 6'4", 3.92, LSD
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:1787
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcbigbadram View Post
Honestly I have no need for a diesel so a 2500 gasser would of been just fine for me. Main reason I went with the diesel was because I knew it would handle the lift and bigger tires better.
I'm only getting about 13 mpg out of my truck, but I drive almost all city. I've also always been on lower end of gas mileage, I have a heavy foot I guess. I really could of went either way, gas or diesel, but I know I would probably only be getting 9-10 mpg if this truck was gas. I will end up deleting this truck in a year or two so that should make nice improvements.

only things i dont like about this truck are-
1 chrome everywhere- plan to get bumpers powdercoated and paint grill
2 bucket seats- different than my sport ones, which i didnt realize until i was trying to get leather covers.
3 all the ladies staring at my awesome truck and wanting "rides"

first two are easy fixes, and third one isnt really a problem at all. just wanted to throw it out there.
oh and i do sometimes miss that hemi roar, but with the new CAI i can hear the turbo alot more, so that kinda makes up for it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arth View Post
Positives:

Higher ride height
A feeling of unlimited power
Larger improvements with a tuner over the gas
Never have to worry about the engine as long as you take decent care of it.

Negative:

Unloaded ride compared to 1500 sucks
MPG's will always suck until you delete it
Deletes void warranties
If you don't do the deletes and don't pull heavy loads often your MPG's will suffer more because the truck will do regeneration's more often to clear out the DPF filter.
Requires a more... in touch operator(Allow for warm up times in the cold season, plug it in etc)

Sorry for jumping in but I figured I could offer my limited insight since having that 2012 cummins not to long ago.
Thanks guys!
I am in the process of weighing my options out as a dealer is willing to take my truck for more money (Im trying to get a few more from them) and sell me a 2012 Cummins Laramie Limited.

But I too as myself this.
Do I need a diesel or is it because these guys on the Z are making me want to do it (LOL).
Then I think, my truck suffices for my needs, looks good and is almost where I want it.
Then I think, I can lift a 2500 and pull larger wheels and have an even more badass vehicle and I am aware of deleting as the only way to get better MPG and more power. On the flip side, it voids warranty.
Then I think, I like in Toronto where emission test are required every 2 year and wonder if deleting will affect this.
Plus heading about the $10K fine in some cities in the US and I think here too.

Decisions, decision.....ive got cold feet on this.
So need some warming up

Also helps with the fact that the Laramie Limited is ALL black minus the grille and mirrors which I can change.
The dealer is willing to let me swap over EVERYTHING that is swappable.
Tow Mirrors (takes care of 1 chrome thing, which I dont mind the Chrome tows), my shaved tailgate, interior trims, tail lights/3rd light, Amps. Heck...everything I can swap

So that's my dilemma

'To do, or not to do, that is the question'
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 06-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Rep:364
spoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nice

I've often wondered... what exactly does it mean when I read...
"Build is sponsored by Bully's Performance"... for example... Are they footing all costs for all mods? Man I want some of that action!!!
Are they giving a discount? Can you shed some light please....
Who? How? Why? How Much?
Thanks for any info
Old 06-07-2013, 03:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 QC Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:37
LL247 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastNugly@discountautoperformance View Post
Thanks guys!
I am in the process of weighing my options out as a dealer is willing to take my truck for more money (Im trying to get a few more from them) and sell me a 2012 Cummins Laramie Limited.

Do I need a diesel or is it because these guys on the Z are making me want to do it (LOL).
Then I think, my truck suffices for my needs, looks good and is almost where I want it.
Then I think, I can lift a 2500 and pull larger wheels and have an even more badass vehicle and I am aware of deleting as the only way to get better MPG and more power. On the flip side, it voids warranty.
Then I think, I like in Toronto where emission test are required every 2 year and wonder if deleting will affect this.

So need some warming up

Also helps with the fact that the Laramie Limited is ALL black minus the grille and mirrors which I can change.
Tow Mirrors (takes care of 1 chrome thing, which I dont mind the Chrome tows), my shaved tailgate, interior trims, tail lights/3rd light, Amps. Heck...everything I can swap

So that's my dilemma

Man are you and I in the same place! I called my buddy at the local Ram dealership and set up some time to check out a 2500 Laramie as soon as I get back from vacation next week. My truck took a year and it's just about there, but here's what happened:

I take my truck to the dealership to have a re-balance and alignment (towing an enclosed trailer from Pittsburgh to Laconia, NH for bike week). Drop it off, go back later to pick it up...and there it was...my trucks big brother...a mineral gray 2500 with a lift, black wheels and large tires. I stood frozen looking at my truck, then his, then mine, then his...my truck feels small now and I don't like it

Of course straight to the forums to read every sommamabich that went from a 1500 to a diesel 2500 is happy as hell. So here I sit thinking of how to make a logical decision...but logic takes a back seat to having a bigger, more bad-ass rig. I've always wanted a diesel too, finally in an economic position where I can attain it...ugh. I really don't want to make the switch, then miss my '11 Sport though
Old 06-07-2013, 03:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 ram 2500
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: flame red
Rep:471
Kcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of lightKcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of lightKcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of lightKcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of lightKcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastNugly@discountautoperformance View Post
Thanks guys!

So need some warming up

So that's my dilemma

if i had your truck id be pretty tempted to stay. as you said its just about perfect.
Have you considered a front end swap? or is it the cummins your after?

6" BDS lift kit, BMF R.E.P.R, 37" toyo MT, recon cab lights, color matched interior trim, tinted tails, custom headlights, cjc off-road light bar, backrack, afe stage 2 CAI
sponsored by BULLY'S PERFORMANCE
Old 06-07-2013, 04:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:347
Ram725 is a jewel in the roughRam725 is a jewel in the roughRam725 is a jewel in the roughRam725 is a jewel in the rough

My 1500 was everything I could have wanted. 8" lift, 37s, bumper, everything. Ya I could've done gears and engine work, but I knew I was limited.

With my Cummins I have unlimited opportunities to go higher, get better mpg, and be more powerful. I kept dumping my money into the 1500 thinking in the back of my head that I rather have a 2500.

Diesel pros:
Solid front axle
Bigger in everything
Cummins CTD with 800 torque stock

This biggest thing about a cummins is it is more of an investment. I have been in the car business for quite some time and nothing holds its value like a Cummins or a Jeep. Even Duramax and Powerstroke can't touch it's resale. I bought my 03 CTD for 16k put 20k miles on it and found a buyer for 20k a year later. I did the same with my 06 CTD, bought it for 22 sold it for 28 a year later. Now I'll lose money on my new CTD but not like I would have if I had kept my 1500 longer. With a Cummins you are limitless with what you can do. I went from a base 03 CTD to a loaded 06 Mega Cab Hemi and wasn't happy. Then went from an 06 CTD to a beautiful perfect 12 1500, wasn't happy. Once you own a cummins you will most likely always want back in.

Note: mine is strictly a daily driver. Will I tow? I am today. But I didn't need it. Just knew I had to have it. For me it's like a Camaro to a Vette. Both great cars but one is less impractical but a whole lot more fun.

SOLD: 2012 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4
SOLD: 2012 RAM 1500 8" on 37s + much more Build Thread
Old 06-07-2013, 04:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 QC Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:37
LL247 is on a distinguished road

Now I want to get a new truck before I leave for bike week but am pulling out Sunday morning...

As the Business Manager of a dealership I have no time to buy one tomorrow, bah! And of course I work for one of the largest dealer organizations in Pittsburgh and one of the only brands we don't carry is... take a guess??? Sometimes I wish I could love Ford or Chevy as much because I could by one today at rock bottom pricing, our Chevy store is across the street and Ford is a few miles up the road. I was going to run to the Ram dealership up the street for a few minutes, but in my company logo polo shirt...might not go over too well if the big boss found out...especially since the Ram dealer is part of a rival dealer group

I'm going to spend the whole vacation thinking about the Monday after I get home working a deal on a new CTD 2500
Old 06-07-2013, 05:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Ram725 is a jewel in the roughRam725 is a jewel in the roughRam725 is a jewel in the roughRam725 is a jewel in the rough

Ha I know the feeling. What dealer group do you work for?

Old 06-07-2013, 05:37 PM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: '15 Ram 1500 Longhorn EcoD
Trim Level: CC, 6'4", 3.92, LSD
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:1787
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcbigbadram View Post
if i had your truck id be pretty tempted to stay. as you said its just about perfect.
Have you considered a front end swap? or is it the cummins your after?
Its not really the Cummins Im after.
Its the damn forums that's creating this want.....LOL
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 06-07-2013, 06:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Unhappy

Right now I've got 6-7k pounds behind it and literally don't even feel it.