DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-19-2013, 08:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 ram 2500
Color: grey
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
genrob78 is on a distinguished road
Default What Next?

'99 2500 quadcab 4x4 AT. Believe it is 46RE model. Runs fine. No CE light. Seems to shift PRND okay, lurches when put into R or D, but doesn't move in either direction. 4L/N/2H/4H will move from 2H to 4H but not to N or 4L. Don't want to create a bigger problem by trying to force it. Tried shifting with both 2H and 4H. Have changed trans filter and gasket. Have read about small oil filter looking thing but couldn't see/find it. Have read about sensors, shift valves, and a lot of other things. No one seems to have the exact problem I have. My head is spinning with all the things it could be. Not sure what to do next short of scraping the whole thing, but wife won't let me. It is her truck though.
Sponsored links
Old 05-27-2013, 01:42 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2000 Ram Laramie 1500
Trim Level: Tow and Torque
Color: Champagne Silver
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
DoubleOhDodge is on a distinguished road
Default Shifting issues

I cant speak on behalf of your 4WD....but the lurch without moving in D & R sounds like the Shift linkage is out of whack.
That is simple enough fix if that is the case,which IS something I have had to do.
We got our '00 Ram ext cab 5.9 w/AT used from a neighbor,prior to purchase he had mentioned the tranny being "temperamental" after having it in the shop for an OD switch replacement.
Reverse was achieved by shifting N and then back.Drive was accomplished by D1 then back.
Long story Short the shop never fully tightened the linkage for shift shaft spine coming out of the tranny housing, or the stop nut on the shift linkage coming down from the column shifter.
My advice is to look up diagrams of the AT linkage specific to Your exact model...and then crawl underneath.Block the wheels and dont be shy about poking, prodding, and wiggling anything.ABOVE ALL LOOK FOR SHINY RUB MARKS!