Considering 5th wheel options - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, & Solutions - Maintenance & Repair > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram – 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing


Notices

Towing 4th Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions


Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-25-2013, 11:04 AM
Deathrend Deathrend is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Claremore, OK
Age: 32
Posts: 554
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2015 Ram 3500 MC DRW
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Maximum Steel
Engine: 2015-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 385hp 865lb/ft (Aisin ASC69RC Automatic)
Rep Power: 0
Rep:68
Deathrend will become famous soon enough
Default Considering 5th wheel options

So I've been looking into fifth wheels for a while now, trying to decide on what I want, don't want, so on. The major thing I'm trying to figure out however is weight. If my math is correct, I'm going to max out to around 1500-1700 pin weight. Does that sound correct? Seems a little low. At the same time I'm seeing people state that 2,100 should be fine, so I really don't know where I should be looking.

At the moment I do have one in mind that has a very light pin weight (Due to the arrangement) which I actually like the layout of.

The GVWR is right around the limit, the pin weight however is around 400lbs shy of where it would normally fall with a 5er of this size. http://www.forestriverinc.com/FifthW...pe=fifthwheels

Thoughts?
__________________
2017 Tradesman 3500 CCLB 4.10
Torklift StabeLoads, SuperHitch, SuperTruss, FastGuns
2018.5 Lance 1062 Camper
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 05-25-2013, 11:59 AM
h2oman's Avatar
h2oman h2oman is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sunny SoCal
Posts: 6,146
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express 4X4
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 9
Rep:418
h2oman is just really niceh2oman is just really niceh2oman is just really niceh2oman is just really niceh2oman is just really nice
Default

It says the trailer is 13,460 lbs. 10 to 15% of that puts you at your projected 1500 to 1700 lbs. Your truck according to Ram gives you plenty more than that so you should be more than good to go.
__________________

Bilstein 5100's at 2.8. Fox 2.0 rears. MBC Razors with Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Airlift 1000 air bags. Mopar Tow mirrors. K&N air filter. Mopar rock deflector, WeatherTech Mats.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-27-2013, 11:44 AM
HorseMan's Avatar
HorseMan HorseMan is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 785
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2015 3500 SRW Longhorn, CTD
Trim Level: Longhorn Crew 4x4
Color: Deep Cherry Red, Saddle Tan Interior
Rep Power: 6
Rep:139
HorseMan will become famous soon enoughHorseMan will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrend View Post
So I've been looking into fifth wheels for a while now, trying to decide on what I want, don't want, so on. The major thing I'm trying to figure out however is weight. If my math is correct, I'm going to max out to around 1500-1700 pin weight. Does that sound correct? Seems a little low. At the same time I'm seeing people state that 2,100 should be fine, so I really don't know where I should be looking.

At the moment I do have one in mind that has a very light pin weight (Due to the arrangement) which I actually like the layout of.

The GVWR is right around the limit, the pin weight however is around 400lbs shy of where it would normally fall with a 5er of this size. http://www.forestriverinc.com/FifthW...pe=fifthwheels

Thoughts?
Nice trailer. Do you have a fifth wheel hitch installed already? Just curious. I need one and not sure which brand to get. I love the forest river trailers!
__________________
2015 3500 SRW Laramie Longhorn, CTD
2014 2500 Laramie Crew 6.4 Hemi, 4.10 axle (traded)
2013 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn, Cummins, (traded)
Reply With Quote
 
  #4  
Old 05-27-2013, 03:32 PM
TRCM's Avatar
TRCM TRCM is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 346
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2012 Ram Laramie 4x4 CC
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White w/silver trim
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:63
TRCM will become famous soon enough
Default

Read this post, and re-read the last sentence of the original posters comments many times, as no one seems to want to believe it when told.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=142894
__________________
1996 Cherokee Sport 4x4
1988 Cherokee Pioneer 4x4

Last edited by TRCM; 05-27-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-27-2013, 09:53 PM
Deathrend Deathrend is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Claremore, OK
Age: 32
Posts: 554
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2015 Ram 3500 MC DRW
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Maximum Steel
Engine: 2015-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 385hp 865lb/ft (Aisin ASC69RC Automatic)
Rep Power: 0
Rep:68
Deathrend will become famous soon enough
Default

I'm looking at 2500 ratings though, I know they aren't exact, I'm going more on GVWR (Worst case). If I was to go by the numbers they give, I would be looking at 18,000 lb GVWR campers with 2400 pin weight.

I'm trying to figure out what pin weight I should be good at. As my truck sits with three people in it, I have around 2500 lbs free on the back axle, I'm assuming 200-300 lbs of hitch, as well as +-10% of the given pin weight. I work on commercial scales for a living, so I know exactly how much people like to fudge numbers, be it on vehicles or otherwise.

As of which hitch, I'm leaning towards the Reese 18k with slider. I'm also considering a lower end Reese with sliders (Non below the bed mounted). The below the bed mounting is really nice, but it's almost double the price. Majority of the time I'll probably have a gooseneck hitch mounted to the rails however.

What it boils down to, I have to stay Sub 20k total GVWR, and sub 6k GVWR rear axle to remain legal. In most states I don't have to swat being weighed, but I still want to keep it under the limit. I also want the most bang for my buck, longer and higher end camper for less weight is a win in my book.
__________________
2017 Tradesman 3500 CCLB 4.10
Torklift StabeLoads, SuperHitch, SuperTruss, FastGuns
2018.5 Lance 1062 Camper
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-27-2013, 10:49 PM
TRCM's Avatar
TRCM TRCM is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 346
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2012 Ram Laramie 4x4 CC
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White w/silver trim
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:63
TRCM will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrend View Post
I'm looking at 2500 ratings though, I know they aren't exact, I'm going more on GVWR (Worst case). If I was to go by the numbers they give, I would be looking at 18,000 lb GVWR campers with 2400 pin weight.

I'm trying to figure out what pin weight I should be good at. As my truck sits with three people in it, I have around 2500 lbs free on the back axle, I'm assuming 200-300 lbs of hitch, as well as +-10% of the given pin weight. I work on commercial scales for a living, so I know exactly how much people like to fudge numbers, be it on vehicles or otherwise.

As of which hitch, I'm leaning towards the Reese 18k with slider. I'm also considering a lower end Reese with sliders (Non below the bed mounted). The below the bed mounting is really nice, but it's almost double the price. Majority of the time I'll probably have a gooseneck hitch mounted to the rails however.

What it boils down to, I have to stay Sub 20k total GVWR, and sub 6k GVWR rear axle to remain legal. In most states I don't have to swat being weighed, but I still want to keep it under the limit. I also want the most bang for my buck, longer and higher end camper for less weight is a win in my book.

CHA-CHING !!!

It doesn't matter if the truck is a 1500 or 2500...the point was the people who make the trailers aren't really truthful in their empty weights, but most people still believe them when they say the truck can pull it to make the sale.
__________________
1996 Cherokee Sport 4x4
1988 Cherokee Pioneer 4x4
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-28-2013, 09:46 AM
Deathrend Deathrend is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Claremore, OK
Age: 32
Posts: 554
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2015 Ram 3500 MC DRW
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Maximum Steel
Engine: 2015-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 385hp 865lb/ft (Aisin ASC69RC Automatic)
Rep Power: 0
Rep:68
Deathrend will become famous soon enough
Default

Empty and dry are two different things though dry weight is before they add.. interior. Most people think it's just the absense of water.

I like the front living plan 5ers, they seem to be rear heavy with the bedroom being in the back. Seems like you can get a longer camper for less weight up front.

It's just a lot of math that's making my head hurt.

I guess I just need a bigger toy hauler
__________________
2017 Tradesman 3500 CCLB 4.10
Torklift StabeLoads, SuperHitch, SuperTruss, FastGuns
2018.5 Lance 1062 Camper
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-28-2013, 11:41 AM
Iqudayo's Avatar
Iqudayo Iqudayo is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hopatcong, NJ
Age: 51
Posts: 866
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 2500HD
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep Power: 6
Rep:563
Iqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to all
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrend View Post
Empty and dry are two different things though dry weight is before they add.. interior. Most people think it's just the absense of water.

I like the front living plan 5ers, they seem to be rear heavy with the bedroom being in the back. Seems like you can get a longer camper for less weight up front.

It's just a lot of math that's making my head hurt.

I guess I just need a bigger toy hauler
Now that's' a hauler
__________________

To many mods to list ask and I shall give you all the information, and help I can.
Everything from outside to interior.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-28-2013, 06:06 PM
Deathrend Deathrend is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Claremore, OK
Age: 32
Posts: 554
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2015 Ram 3500 MC DRW
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Maximum Steel
Engine: 2015-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 385hp 865lb/ft (Aisin ASC69RC Automatic)
Rep Power: 0
Rep:68
Deathrend will become famous soon enough
Default

The more I look, the more I like the Silverback 35FL. I thought about getting a really large TT, but I'm sure I would regret it in the OK wind.
__________________
2017 Tradesman 3500 CCLB 4.10
Torklift StabeLoads, SuperHitch, SuperTruss, FastGuns
2018.5 Lance 1062 Camper
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-28-2013, 06:53 PM
GTyankee's Avatar
GTyankee GTyankee is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego East County, Ca
Posts: 27,846
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2016 Ram Ecodiesel 2 whl drive
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep Power: 27
Rep:2964
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute
Default

2012 Ram 2500
ST
6.7L I6 CUMMINS® Turbo Diesel
crew | 6'4" | auto |4x4
3.73 axle ratio

Max Payload
2,425lbs

Max Tow
12,700lbs

CURB weight is 7200 pounds with 1 person weighing 150 pounds
GCVW is 20,000 pounds

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/

if your Ram has a Manual transmission & a different Axle ratio
the weights will change a bit

you mentioned the GVWR
you should also check the GCWR
__________________________________________________ ____

Ram curb weight with 3 adults weighing 150 each 7,500 pounds
Unloaded Vehicle Weight 10,894 pounds

10,894
+7,500
--------
18,394 pounds

that leaves you 1,606 pounds for your gear

If you get your water at the destination & dump it before leaving, that is quite bit of gear
__________________
2016 Ram 3.0 diesel 3.55 w/LSD, G2 tonneau, Line-X, Weathertech mats, Mag-Hytec differential cover, Nfab bars, CB radio, EGR bug deflector

Last edited by GTyankee; 05-28-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Advertisement



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:18 AM.


Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors