Recon Big Rig Ice running board lights are now installed!
Been tossing around the idea of doing a write up on this.. seems like a lot of members either already know how to do this or have already done it... but I'll give you my version and run down of my experience.
I didn't take any pics during the install process because, well.. it was just that, a process and I didn't need any distractions.. lol
*******Installation of Big Rig Ice Running Lights Part #26414X*******
I laid the bars on my dining room table and applied 3M tape (I was not about to use the included screws and brackets to mount them!).
Next, I measured the bars (62"), subtracted 2" for the tip of the bar that contains no LEDs, stuck a piece of masking tape at center (30") and marked with a pen. Now I had center (of the actual LEDs) marked on the bars.
Then, out to the truck. I decided to measure for center based on the foot pads on my running boards - mainly because I purchased the Ice version with the white courtesy lights and wanted to have those centered over the foot pads. I don't recall the actual measurements, but I stuck masking tape just below the doors and marked center with the pen again.
Starting with the passenger side, I laid the bar (loom end toward the engine bay) on the running board and lined up the pen marks on the bar and the truck. Removed the 3M backing, slowly positioned the bar, rechecked my marks, rolled the bar up into place and pressed up along the length of the bar to ensure full adhesion of the 3M tape.
Next, I got a length of copper wire.. fed the wire down from the engine bay to come out above the front wheel well liner and just behind my mud flaps. I wrapped the wires in the bar loom to the end of the wire and secured with electrical tape.. then pulled the loom up to the engine bay and just draped it over the edge of the bay for now. I laid down under the running boards and secured the loom with a tie wrap about 6" from the end of the bar to the inside of the body (there were a few holes nearby - it was difficult to feed the tie wrap, but got 'er done).
Next, I separated the white (courtesy light) wire from the loom as far as I could and routed it along the back side of the engine bay (there is a liner, of sorts, that I simply tucked the wire behind) and ran it to the driver's side corner where it would wait..
Next, I opened the dirt guard at the front of the wheel well (it rested quite nicely on my tire as a way to keep it open) and then fed the copper wire/loom assembly down through the dirt guard. I now had my loom dangling inside the wheel well. Since I only had to connect to the parking and turn signal wires, I decided to try to access the turn signal light in the main headlight unit without removing the grille and headlight unit altogether. And it worked! (Albeit very small working space - but not too small for my female hands
At this point, I put the passenger side on pause and repeated everything on the driver side..
Now, I have the bar looms dangling in their respective wheel wells, dirt guards propped open on the tires, both turn signal lamps unplugged and dangling in place, and the passenger side white wire routed across and laying with the driver side white wire just behind the battery.
Next came the wiring. Easy peasy. On both sides (but obviously not simultaneously) I spliced into the parking and turn signal wires, snapped the t-taps together, tested the bars to ensure my wiring was correct and replaced the bulbs.
To finalize this install, I connected the white wires (for the courtesy lights). The wire from the passenger side was not long enough, so I had to extend it with additional wire (I actually cannibalized my broken Recon Xtreme for the extra wire lol!), spliced the driver and passenger together, and taped the end to the copper wire. Inside the truck, I opened the access panel on the door side of the dash, found pin/wire #13 (white w/yellow stripe that others had identified on other threads as being the wire for the dome lights).. then, with some help from hubby, we stuck the copper wire through a gasket from the engine bay into the driver side foot well, just behind the brake pedal.. then routed the copper wire up through the access panel opening (from behind and below), and spliced the white wire into the dome lights and tested the bars.
It took me about 3 hours for this install. But the results are SO worth it!