DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-26-2013, 02:03 AM
Ram Ham

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1464
KA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud of
Default Recon Big Rig Running Lights Installed

Recon Big Rig Ice running board lights are now installed!

Been tossing around the idea of doing a write up on this.. seems like a lot of members either already know how to do this or have already done it... but I'll give you my version and run down of my experience.

I didn't take any pics during the install process because, well.. it was just that, a process and I didn't need any distractions.. lol

*******Installation of Big Rig Ice Running Lights Part #26414X*******

I laid the bars on my dining room table and applied 3M tape (I was not about to use the included screws and brackets to mount them!).

Next, I measured the bars (62"), subtracted 2" for the tip of the bar that contains no LEDs, stuck a piece of masking tape at center (30") and marked with a pen. Now I had center (of the actual LEDs) marked on the bars.

Then, out to the truck. I decided to measure for center based on the foot pads on my running boards - mainly because I purchased the Ice version with the white courtesy lights and wanted to have those centered over the foot pads. I don't recall the actual measurements, but I stuck masking tape just below the doors and marked center with the pen again.

Starting with the passenger side, I laid the bar (loom end toward the engine bay) on the running board and lined up the pen marks on the bar and the truck. Removed the 3M backing, slowly positioned the bar, rechecked my marks, rolled the bar up into place and pressed up along the length of the bar to ensure full adhesion of the 3M tape.

Next, I got a length of copper wire.. fed the wire down from the engine bay to come out above the front wheel well liner and just behind my mud flaps. I wrapped the wires in the bar loom to the end of the wire and secured with electrical tape.. then pulled the loom up to the engine bay and just draped it over the edge of the bay for now. I laid down under the running boards and secured the loom with a tie wrap about 6" from the end of the bar to the inside of the body (there were a few holes nearby - it was difficult to feed the tie wrap, but got 'er done).

Next, I separated the white (courtesy light) wire from the loom as far as I could and routed it along the back side of the engine bay (there is a liner, of sorts, that I simply tucked the wire behind) and ran it to the driver's side corner where it would wait..

Next, I opened the dirt guard at the front of the wheel well (it rested quite nicely on my tire as a way to keep it open) and then fed the copper wire/loom assembly down through the dirt guard. I now had my loom dangling inside the wheel well. Since I only had to connect to the parking and turn signal wires, I decided to try to access the turn signal light in the main headlight unit without removing the grille and headlight unit altogether. And it worked! (Albeit very small working space - but not too small for my female hands )

At this point, I put the passenger side on pause and repeated everything on the driver side..

Fast forward........

Now, I have the bar looms dangling in their respective wheel wells, dirt guards propped open on the tires, both turn signal lamps unplugged and dangling in place, and the passenger side white wire routed across and laying with the driver side white wire just behind the battery.

Next came the wiring. Easy peasy. On both sides (but obviously not simultaneously) I spliced into the parking and turn signal wires, snapped the t-taps together, tested the bars to ensure my wiring was correct and replaced the bulbs.

To finalize this install, I connected the white wires (for the courtesy lights). The wire from the passenger side was not long enough, so I had to extend it with additional wire (I actually cannibalized my broken Recon Xtreme for the extra wire lol!), spliced the driver and passenger together, and taped the end to the copper wire. Inside the truck, I opened the access panel on the door side of the dash, found pin/wire #13 (white w/yellow stripe that others had identified on other threads as being the wire for the dome lights).. then, with some help from hubby, we stuck the copper wire through a gasket from the engine bay into the driver side foot well, just behind the brake pedal.. then routed the copper wire up through the access panel opening (from behind and below), and spliced the white wire into the dome lights and tested the bars.

It took me about 3 hours for this install. But the results are SO worth it!

Sponsored links
Old 05-26-2013, 08:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Express Quad Cab
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:153
06 BigHorn has a spectacular aura about06 BigHorn has a spectacular aura about

Looks good, Might have to do it to mine
Old 05-26-2013, 09:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4
Color: Inferno Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:2008
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

Yep looks awesome!

I am debating if I should switch out my two for the ice version as well. Oh decisions decisions...

See my old Mod thread and it's Journey here

Current Mod thread here
Old 05-26-2013, 09:56 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Express Quad Cab
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Rep:153
06 BigHorn has a spectacular aura about06 BigHorn has a spectacular aura about

Take some pictures where the lights are mounted if you can.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:19 AM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:1045
double0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud of

nicely done! that looks legit!!!
Old 05-26-2013, 03:20 PM
Ram Ham

KA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud of

Thanks everyone. It was a fun mod to do. I am getting better with understanding the wiring on this beast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arth View Post
Yep looks awesome!

I am debating if I should switch out my two for the ice version as well. Oh decisions decisions...
You inspired me to get these.. now I return the favor
I love the courtesy light feature! Well worth the $30 difference in the cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 BigHorn View Post
Take some pictures where the lights are mounted if you can.
As requested! These pictures were taken on the passenger side..

Old 05-26-2013, 10:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Color: White
Rep:59
silverrain21 will become famous soon enough

those look awesome.. and reps for the install and video
Old 05-27-2013, 11:36 PM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

Installation looks great. I've been thinking about adding this to my todo list and I think you convinced me.

Reps for the write up.

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!
Old 05-27-2013, 11:50 PM
Ram Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverrain21 View Post
those look awesome.. and reps for the install and video
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandchef View Post
Installation looks great. I've been thinking about adding this to my todo list and I think you convinced me.

Reps for the write up.
Thank guys, much appreciated! I highly recommend this mod to anyone who loves light as much as I do.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:55 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the video and pics, Kai! Kyudos and rep points for doing and sharing!