DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 1ST Generation Dodge Ram 1993 & Older Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-28-2013, 11:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
Steve4578 is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 5.9 magnum idling and highway speed shaking/jolting

About 6 weeks ago, I bought a 2000 ram 5.9 v8 magnum 2500.. It was sitting for about 2 years when I first got it. Got a new battery for it and it fired right up. It ran perfect for about 2 weeks and the fuel mileage wasn't that bad.. Changed the oil also. Then the problems started.. I was on the highway crushing along and decided to bring it up to 90 to see how it was at High speeds. Ran good but as soon as I got off the highway the check engine light came on. I pulled into a lot and put it in park. The truck was shaking pretty bad. I went to autozone and got them to plug in there scanner, and I had an 8 and 2 misfire. Changed the plugs and drove it for a little and it was still misfiring. About 2 days later it started running really rough. No power and sounded and shakes terribly. So I brought it to my buddies shop and he ended up pouring a bottle of techron in the intake and letting it sit over night, and it ran perfect the next day when he fired it up with no check engine light. So a week or two go by and it starts shaking again, but not as bad. The check engine light came on also. Around this time I also started getting terrible gas mileage. Usually around 180 miles on 32 gallons of gas (I have been adding techron every tank full). It also started to sputter a little when accelerating. Also above 50, when you are cruising in a high gear and accelerate, around 1500 rpm it jolts. It feels like it is misfiring but only at lower rpms, the feeling is lost like hitting a bump in the road. So anyway, I've been driving it since then and Have been getting the worst mileage and performance. Now more recently I was driving it and everytime i would go up, down, or around a hill, my oil pressure would drop to 0. I checked the oil and it was low so I added 2 quarts and it seems to be ok now, but when I start it in the morning it will blow out a cloud of blue smoke right on start up and not any other time. I am wondering if a valve seat is ba and oil is leaking into cylinder causing it to have no compression and burn oil, or if something with the fuel or ignition system is broken.

I Need help badly to fix this. If anyone else has had similar problems an found a solution please let me know!

Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 05-28-2013, 12:42 PM
Former Senior Member

Vehicle: 95
Trim Level: Cloaking
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1776
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

I would start by pulling the plugs to see if they are oil fouled (Black and wet/crusty). Sitting overnight MIGHT give the plug time to dry/drip off the excess. When it fires up in the AM it could burn off the pooled oil and then re-foul the plug (blue puff).

Look down the throttle body and see if there's a build up of oily residue.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
Steve4578 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock III View Post
I would start by pulling the plugs to see if they are oil fouled (Black and wet/crusty). Sitting overnight MIGHT give the plug time to dry/drip off the excess. When it fires up in the AM it could burn off the pooled oil and then re-foul the plug (blue puff).

Look down the throttle body and see if there's a build up of oily residue.
i pulled the two plugs on passenger side furthest back. the one closest to firewall was crusty and dry, it almost looked like someone sprayed painted it almond white. it also had a lot of debris wedged inside of it, i noticed at idle a clicking noise that is only coming from that side every few amount of seconds, which sounds like a spark plug making a spark.. what do you think it is