DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits All custom mods on the outside of your Dodge Ram. Custom Dodge Ram Body Kits, Custom Paint, Grilles, Camper Tops, Bed Liners, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-11-2013, 01:53 AM
Ram Ham

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1475
KA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud of

Well, the shop manager said he may have 15% in stock, but if not he said he definitely has 20% and that it would work for the eyebrow strip as well. I'm thinking that 20% may not be dark enough for the strip and I know he has 5% in stock. Would it be worth the extra $10 to go the darkest? I'm just not sure now.. I already have lost some field of vision due to my paint matched visors.. not sure if I want to lose any more due to the strip being too dark. Thoughts? Opinions? I'm dropping my rig off tomorrow at 6pm for the appointment.. so I have until then to make up my mind.
Sponsored links
Old 10-11-2013, 09:59 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 4x4 QC
Color: Stone White
Rep:187
dvarn has a spectacular aura aboutdvarn has a spectacular aura about

If I ever get the eyebrow done, I'll go 5% on it. My front windows are 5%, and they ARE dark. But for an eyebrow, I'd definitely go 5%
Old 10-11-2013, 07:15 PM
Ram Ham

KA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud of

In a few hours, I'm off to the detail shop to have my tint installed. Yay! Going with 35% on the fronts and a 5% eyebrow strip. I am having a tough time, though, with imagining the finished product. Most sites that have a tint simulator make the 35% seem much darker than what my rear windows and slider appear to be from the factory. Am I going to end up with my fronts being darker than my rear factory tint if I go with 35%? How dark is the rear tint, exactly? Anyone know?
Old 10-11-2013, 07:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Trim Level: Tradesman
Color: mineral grey
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:355
maust1 is just really nicemaust1 is just really nicemaust1 is just really nicemaust1 is just really nice

No it'll be a bit lighter. Mine are %25 and they are about the same as the back.

Last edited by maust1; 10-11-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:38 PM
Ram Ham

My tint is done. Now have 35% front, 5% eyebrow and (I believe) 20% factory rear. I am very pleased with the work overall but...

The eyebrow did not turn out the way I had wanted. I showed them one of dodgert's pictures and explained how I want the bottom of the tint strip to be even with the bottom of the center applique and then bow out.. identical to the picture. This is not how my strip ended up. They explained that they had to shorten the width of the strip (essentially, the bottom edge cutting through the applique) because the ends by the a pillars would have ended up below the AS-1 line.. making the install illegal.

I am not so sure on this since I have seen plenty of other rigs, here and elsewhere, with a strip extending below the AS-1 line. And I was told by a UHP officer that tint strips are fine as long as the main field of view is above the AS-1 line - so the install that I wanted would have been fine.

Right now, I have mixed feelings about the strip. I am wishing I didn't have that damn applique in the middle. Without it, this tint strip would look just fine. But the way it sits now, it just looks horrible. Albeit, it is very functional.. it just appears to be out of place.

Thoughts? Any way I can fix this?

The shop I went to charged me cash and I received no receipt since they installed a, technically, illegal tint on my fronts. Do you think it is worth a try to have them redo the strip the way I want since they have already performed illegal work for me?

And pics..

Old 10-12-2013, 07:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Color: Black
Rep:364
spoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nice

Go back and ask them to do what you paid for. They might gripe a little at first but they should make you happy. Your "word of mouth" endorsement is the best kind of free advertising they could ever hope to get.
Mine is done the way you asked them to do and it works well.... At first it seems odd to have a dark strip across your field of vision but you get used to it and come to appreciate how much glare is reduced.
That said... all the work you had done looks great! If you end up keeping it the way it is you'll still be quite happy with the results
Old 10-12-2013, 07:59 PM
Ram Ham

Spoiler - You are from California, the land of many, many strict laws. Have you not been harassed by the CHiPs for your brow extending below the AS-1 line?

I agree with you, I should go back and talk them into it. However, I can see both sides.

On one hand, I know the appearance I want.

On the other hand, I know that no tint can be installed that reaches below the AS-1 line on the windshield.

I want to stay as close to legal as possible, but I also don't think I can stand my brow as it is installed right now. It simply looks terrible!

Do you think I will pass safety inspections and not get harassed by authorities for crossing the AS-1? Is this like tint percentages where you get a leeway?
Old 10-12-2013, 11:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Trim Level: Tradesman
Color: mineral grey
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:355
maust1 is just really nicemaust1 is just really nicemaust1 is just really nicemaust1 is just really nice

I told you it would look great.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
countryboyloaded is on a distinguished road

I've had two done with no problems. A good shop will have no problems doing it. I am very surprised to hear that your local shop said he wouldn't... Another thing to consider is doing vynle on the outside. I've seen that locally. If you're not bringing the brow down too low that's an option to consider. It will be completely opaque though. I have even seen guys get the vynle the same color as their rig. Like kinda goofy IMHO but whatever floats your boat.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:26 PM
Ram Ham

Called the shop manager today and shared my thoughts with him regarding the eyebrow. He said they will take it off and redo it to my specifications, although they will deny having done the job if I am pulled over. I can't believe this guy. I tell him out right that if I am pulled over and ticketed, my story is that i purchased a kit off eBay and did it myself. I will not indict the shop or name names.. I just want it done RIGHT. I am supposed to go in on Wednesday so I'll report back with what happens (along with pics).