DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-29-2013, 07:31 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 RCSB
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
stolen417 is on a distinguished road
Default HELP!!! lowered and towing... Airlift 1000

i have a 2012 ram express regular cab short bed. it has the belltech 964 2-4 lower kit on it. which airlift kit do i need??? i see some people running the 60824 for 2011-2013 All wheel drive Durango. is this correct? anyone running it?
Sponsored links
Old 05-29-2013, 10:54 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Express
Color: Dk cherry red
Rep:130
GregInAtl will become famous soon enoughGregInAtl will become famous soon enough

I have Durango bags in mine and tow all the time.

06 Stratos 201 Pro XL 225 Yamaha
Old 05-29-2013, 03:39 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1946
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Yes, I've heard that the Durango bags are what you need in the lowered Rams. Doesn't hurt to email Airlift to confirm that though. That way you are 100% sure you are ordering the right thing.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 05-29-2013, 09:44 PM

Vehicle: sold* 10' R/T... 13' R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: black
Rep:142
autobred will become famous soon enoughautobred will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolen417 View Post
i have a 2012 ram express regular cab short bed. it has the belltech 964 2-4 lower kit on it. which airlift kit do i need??? i see some people running the 60824 for 2011-2013 All wheel drive Durango. is this correct? anyone running it?
Im running that setup now and I regret it. With the Durango airlift bags Im riding on the bumpstops by 700lbs or so. I load up a 1000-1500lbs of materials at least 3 times a week. On my 10 R/T I had the Ram airlift bags installed with the spacer cut in half. With over 90,000 miles and hauling materials, never had an issue. Depends how much tongue weight you are towing. The Ram bags definitely handles ALOT more than what the Durango bags does. GL
Old 05-30-2013, 12:01 AM

Vehicle: 2009 ram 1500 QC 2wd
Trim Level: Big horn
Color: Brilliant black pearl
Rep:150
Ramfd has a spectacular aura aboutRamfd has a spectacular aura about

I am running the durango bags. I actually called airlift and gave them the measurements of the rear springs with the truck on the ground unloaded.. and that is the bags they recommended. The ram bags are taller and will provide more LIFT of the rear allowing for more clearance to the bump stops. one thing you have to remember is that you are towing with a lowered truck. What do you want? an HD truck with endless tow capacity or a lowered performance oriented truck that can also do medium tow duties part time as well.
Belltech 2/4 Drop, Mufflex delete, aFe stage II intake, Pace Edwards Jackrabbit bed cover, Rhino Linings Spray in bed liner, Debadged, Red LED bed lighting, Airlift 1000 kit (part# 60824), Nitto 420s 285/50/20
Old 05-30-2013, 07:26 AM

The OP never mentioned what he tows. Who mentioned anything about a 1500 truck with endless tow capacity?? Im STATING that at 700lbs, my truck is on the bumpstops with the Durango bags. How much does a utility quads weigh these days? 600lbs? Suppose you want to load one in the bed. So you are comfortable going the highway riding on the bumpstops or hitting the bumpstops every time you hit a small divit. I consider the Durango bags lightweight duty... I do payload about 6 hours a work week at weights stated above at short distances. I occasionally tow a 19' Ranger bassboat which is about 400lb tongue weight, and a 7 by 16 enclosed trailer loaded with hogs at approx. 5000lbs loaded which is within the trucks capability at longer distances. If you are doing anything similar, the Durango bags aint cutting it. The Ram bags have more coverage of the springs and left at 10lbs of air while not in use, I carved the same roads with my 10' truck than I do with my current one with Durango bags. Simply put, the Ram bags brings it back to its oem dutys..where the Durango bag does not. Airlift tells you to use Durango bags because they to save the $50 bucks from giving you free bags. Ill spend the $100 and get another set if need be. To be ABLE to keep my oem dutys and capabilities and reason for buying a pickup in the first place. As I stated it was 90,000 trouble free miles with the Ram bags with 2/4 drop kit doing what I had to do on any given day. I bought a sport truck that can do its rated truck duties. Not a truck and turn around and cut its balls off.. each to their own

Last edited by autobred; 05-30-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:47 PM

Vehicle: 2009 ram 1500 QC 2wd
Trim Level: Big horn
Color: Brilliant black pearl
Rep:150
Ramfd has a spectacular aura aboutRamfd has a spectacular aura about

I cant say what my payoad is every time i haul stuff in the bed but since the air bags have only once had it hit the bump stops witht he durango bags and that was with a load of dirt. I usually keep 8-10 psi in them and air up to about 20 when needed. I only went with the durango bags because the ram bags were too tall and would npot let the truck set with the load mainly on the springs. the durango bags fit just right without any added lift. Personnaly I think the biggest issue is that the belltech springs are too soft and that changes the towing and load capacity of the truck. the stock rated numbers are for the truck at stock hieght and with the stock suspension.

Belltech 2/4 Drop, Mufflex delete, aFe stage II intake, Pace Edwards Jackrabbit bed cover, Rhino Linings Spray in bed liner, Debadged, Red LED bed lighting, Airlift 1000 kit (part# 60824), Nitto 420s 285/50/20
Old 05-31-2013, 05:46 AM

I can believe the belltech spring is lighter than the McGaughy spring. At looks wise though they look the same on the truck imo. The silver one is the McG kit with 10lbs of air on the Ram bags. The black one is the Belltech kit with 10lbs of air on the Durango bags. When my truck is not working, its playing and its carving the same roads with identical handling. I stand corrected but the Durango bag max psi is 35, Ram bag is 50psi due to being larger, that's the magic #s right there to get your truck within oem duties again. As for weight I can tell you exactly what Im hauling because everything is labeled. Truth be known it was probably your post about the Durango bag is why I decided to try it on my 13'. The Ram bag will outperform the Durango bag easily by 400lbs. So at any weight whether 500lbs payload or towing a 5000lb trailer I have to say its safer, can we agree on that? Just look at the spacer that came with the Durango bag, what was it 3/4" thick if that? The Ram bag spacer was at least 2". Whats the big deal on cutting it in half?. I mean cmon man, one was designed for a suv LOL and one was designed for you know what. Got 90,000 miles trouble free with the Ram bag. Can Airlift say they put that much miles on every vehicle they make a bag for while running it thru its paces? They should send me free Ram bags the way I see it..hehe. Either way the OP was asking about the Durango bag and towing with it. If youre planning on towing 5000lbs or so or on rare occasions of payloads of up to 1500lbs or more like your dirt haul, Id have to say go with the Ram bags. Im just sharing my experience with both setups...so again its each to their own

Last edited by autobred; 05-31-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:38 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1946
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobred View Post
I can believe the belltech spring is lighter than the McGaughy spring. At looks wise though they look the same on the truck imo. The silver one is the McG kit with 10lbs of air on the Ram bags. The black one is the Belltech kit with 10lbs of air on the Durango bags. When my truck is not working, its playing and its carving the same roads with identical handling. I stand corrected but the Durango bag max psi is 35, Ram bag is 50psi due to being larger, that's the magic #s right there to get your truck within oem duties again. As for weight I can tell you exactly what Im hauling because everything is labeled. Truth be known it was probably your post about the Durango bag is why I decided to try it on my 13'. The Ram bag will outperform the Durango bag easily by 400lbs. So at any weight whether 500lbs payload or towing a 5000lb trailer I have to say its safer, can we agree on that? Just look at the spacer that came with the Durango bag, what was it 3/4" thick if that? The Ram bag spacer was at least 2". Whats the big deal on cutting it in half?. I mean cmon man, one was designed for a suv LOL and one was designed for you know what. Got 90,000 miles trouble free with the Ram bag. Can Airlift say they put that much miles on every vehicle they make a bag for while running it thru its paces? They should send me free Ram bags the way I see it..hehe. Either way the OP was asking about the Durango bag and towing with it. If youre planning on towing 5000lbs or so or on rare occasions of payloads of up to 1500lbs or more like your dirt haul, Id have to say go with the Ram bags. Im just sharing my experience with both setups...so again its each to their own
K bud, I think you're a little confused on the difference between the Ram bags and the Durango bags. Both are made out of the exact same material in the exact same way, one is just shorter than the other. The Ram bags are in no way stronger than the Durango bags. Both only recommend 35 psi max pressure (not sure where you got 50 from). The Ram spacer is only 3/4" thick as well... not 2" as you stated. So no it does not work to get the Ram bags and cut the spacer in half.

The reason a lowered truck hits the bump stops so easily is because it's a lowered truck.... You're just asking for it. Trying to shove Ram bags in your lowering springs is not going to help you in any way. Again, the reason for using Durango bags is because of the height of the spring. The load capacity of them are exactly the same as the Ram bags.

And before you go off rambling about your experience and such with them, why don't you do some research online and look through the kits carefully or even contact Airlift and ask them directly. I have talked to them so I'm sure they will tell you exactly what I just did. Plus I do have the Ram bags installed on my truck so I'm 100% sure about the max psi numbers and the spacer thickness.

OP, the Durango bags will work great for you. As I stated before, if you want 100% reassurance then contact Airlift directly and talk to them.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 05-31-2013, 01:46 PM

Its Mr. Bullydog! First of all, that tells me Ive been in a gen 4 longer than you have. They could've changed the product line since 2010. Trust me I was not the first one to cut the spacer in half, don't have pics of the install offhand but you can ask Mike (MGH) we did it in his garage
Who said the bags are stronger?
This misconception of the Ram bags have to be folded over like a dollar bill and shoved in with at jackhammer to fit in a lowered spring is total BS hehe. 90,000 miles experience with towing, hauling..how many times do I have to say it
The bags are longer so more coils are covered upon inflation which it gives it more lift..rather simple design right?
YOure telling the OP he's fine with the Durango bags yet youre friggin clueless what he is actually towing.
Is the Ram bag, capable of doing what the Durango bag does?
What exactly is the fcukin problem here
install some civic bags for all I care
Ive shared my hard info and facts on both sets with towing/payloads with thousands of miles..
Do you have experience with both sets??

Last edited by autobred; 05-31-2013 at 01:50 PM.