DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-31-2013, 02:03 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1945
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobred View Post
Its Mr. Bullydog! First of all, that tells me Ive been in a gen 4 longer than you have. They could've changed the product line since 2010. Trust me I was not the first one to cut the spacer in half, don't have pics of the install offhand but you can ask Mike (MGH) we did it in his garage
Who said the bags are stronger?
This misconception of the Ram bags have to be folded over like a dollar bill and shoved in with at jackhammer to fit in a lowered spring is total BS hehe. 90,000 miles experience with towing, hauling..how many times do I have to say it
The bags are longer so more coils are covered upon inflation which it gives it more lift..rather simple design right?
YOure telling the OP he's fine with the Durango bags yet youre friggin clueless what he is actually towing.
Is the Ram bag, capable of doing what the Durango bag does?
What exactly is the fcukin problem here
install some civic bags for all I care
Ive shared my hard info and facts on both sets with towing/payloads with thousands of miles..
Do you have experience with both sets??
I won't deny that they've changed the product line since 2010. That's very possible. I'll admit I have seen pictures of the ones with the larger spacers but I know that's not how they make them now, so that is not an option for the OP.

You said the bags are stronger... by saying they will outperform the Durango bags and that you can pump them up to 50 psi. The fact that they cover more coils means nothing... that does not give it any lift in any way. In fact the purpose of these bags is not to lift at all, it's to help handle the load which would mean they are meant to help the coil (and therefore the truck) squat less with compressed air.

Now you're just spewing out bullshit that doesn't even mean anything... I'm saying he's fine with the Durango bag because that's what's actually going to fit in his truck. The Ram bag will not. Sure I don't know what he's towing, but I know the bags will help him a lot more than having no bags at all.

You have to remember, these are coil spring trucks... the payload ratings have taken a hit for increase ride comfort. And the Airlift bags are not the top of the line bags that are supposed to fully correct this. They are called Airlift 1000 for a reason. They only have 1000 pounds of load capability. If you are going to be towing/hauling a significant amount of weight often then TLC or another external air bag is a much better choice.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Sponsored links
Old 05-31-2013, 02:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: sold* 10' R/T... 13' R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:142
autobred will become famous soon enoughautobred will become famous soon enough

dude this going way beyond what its suppose to. When I pump my durango bag you see the truck go up right? Well the Ram bag goes up also and more so due to more coils are covered. Is it wrong to say that well you wont have as much sag if you have more coils covered? Yes that's what bags are primarily designed for...sag LOL thanks for the lesson. And why do you insist to say they don't fit? I had them on a 4'" lowered spring for miles doing my thing. I friggin guarantee you people with lowered 09' 10s' are still running them with no issues. Matter of fact Im getting ready to order another set of Ram bags for my 13' Ram to suit my purpose, that is ok right?
They probably send them out with smaller spacers due to the fact that they were probably reading end users cutting them in half. Airlift says and tells you to use a Durango spec bag into your Ram truck well.. by all means each to their own. Not at all knocking it.. When you installed yours, did you keep the lines separate? Air will run to the other side on hard turns if you are using the T fitting, unless you put a checkvalve on inline. Another tip...keep 10lbs more air in the right side than the left..it will help with your 60' time at the track About the 50 psi, I distinctly remember that..regardless it was getting 50psi for 3 years. Look at the last page of your owners manual..they are stating pressures 50-100 psi for dodge trucks with campers..could be a different bag? sure... then again IDK what material its made of

Last edited by autobred; 05-31-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:43 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Yes, they will go up when unloaded but again, that's not the purpose of these bags. The amount of coils covered shouldn't make any difference in how the bags react. The length of a spring does not affect it's spring rate (Unless it's a variable rate spring....).

I'm saying they won't fit because that's what I've heard from many users on the forum and from Airlift. Sure you might be able to squeeze them in there, but that doesn't mean they are meant too or are necessarily working properly. But no, I haven't personally installed them in a lowered truck so that I haven't seen first hand....

I believe they made the spacers a little shorter because they made the bags a little longer. In my truck the bag and 3/4" spacer definitely takes up the entire spring when sitting at ride height.

I didn't keep the lines separate as I only use my bags to reduce sag when towing. I practically never haul that much weight in the bed so I didn't see the need to have them running separate. But I full agree, if hauling payload that might be weighted off center then having separate lines is a much better idea to reduce the air transferring from one side to the other.

The drag racing point makes sense as well, I've seen many guys doing that. I personally don't like them in a vehicle that is actually set up for full time drag racing as there are better ways to set up your suspension than air bags (provided you have adjustable ladder bars or a 4-link). But yes, for a street truck keeping a little more air in that side will help reduce the truck torquing over.

I know the exact page you're talking about for the 50-100 psi when hauling a camper. It must be for something other than the Airlift 1000 bags but I also found it weird that it was in the same section as the information for those bags. I know for a fact that the Airlift 1000's are only supposed to have 35 psi. Airlift even says going higher than that will void your warranty on the bags.

8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Old 05-31-2013, 02:50 PM

Ill be installing the ram bags soon. I would like to setup up an onboard compressor if they are offering one...any suggestions? Also we are not talking about suspension here..merely more lift more room for sag. When Im towing my trailer, Im not comfortable going down the highway with these Durango bags, drooped rear. That's my personal situation/weight of course. When I towed with the Ram bags it was even..just as simple as that my man

Last edited by autobred; 05-31-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:54 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

I have the Airlift WirelessOne and love it. I'm not sure if they still have the $50 rebate on or not but that definitely helps with the cost. I'm also not sure how the WirelessOne works with keeping each bag on separate lines. I believe you'd have to step up one model. But Airlift does have tons of wired compressors as well, check out their website.

I liked the wireless option because it kept me from having to run any electrical or airlines into the cab of the truck. I just installed it above the spare tire on the cross mount. Makes running the lines very easy and keeps it protected from any water or debris.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:38 AM

Vehicle: 2009 ram 1500 QC 2wd
Trim Level: Big horn
Color: Brilliant black pearl
Rep:150
Ramfd has a spectacular aura aboutRamfd has a spectacular aura about

autobred the only question i have is with the ram bags did you notice any ride height increase with just the minimum air in the bags? that was a big thing I read about is that guys was noticing am unlevel stance due to the rear being lifted more than desired with the RAM bags. that was the main reason I looked into a shorter bag so as to not increase my static ride height. I dont mind it rising back up with increased pressure in it that is what they are supposed to do is bring it back to the unloaded height. i am sure there are a few characteristics that are different on handling and heights just due to the simple fact my truck is already heavier than yours since it is a quad cab and yours is a single.
Belltech 2/4 Drop, Mufflex delete, aFe stage II intake, Pace Edwards Jackrabbit bed cover, Rhino Linings Spray in bed liner, Debadged, Red LED bed lighting, Airlift 1000 kit (part# 60824), Nitto 420s 285/50/20
Old 06-01-2013, 07:03 AM

the two pics I posted are with silver r/t with MC kit with ram bags at 10psi. The black r/t with the BT kit with Durango bags at 10psi. Both unloaded. NOt at actual fair comparison but its the best I can do. The silver one has 33" oem diameter tires and the black one has 275/55/20 which is approx. 31" tires. Also the black one is sitting on an incline so the rear is sitting higher than normal.

Last edited by autobred; 06-01-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:35 PM

Vehicle: 2009 ram 1500 QC 2wd
Trim Level: Big horn
Color: Brilliant black pearl
Rep:150
Ramfd has a spectacular aura aboutRamfd has a spectacular aura about

yea kind of hard to tell. I was just curious about actual measurements.
Belltech 2/4 Drop, Mufflex delete, aFe stage II intake, Pace Edwards Jackrabbit bed cover, Rhino Linings Spray in bed liner, Debadged, Red LED bed lighting, Airlift 1000 kit (part# 60824), Nitto 420s 285/50/20
Old 06-06-2013, 04:14 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: Black
Rep:19
blackedout12 is on a distinguished road

I as well went with the 1000's,(from DAP) but I will agree the ride height with minimal pressure in the has jacked the A** up and I really didnt like it at first, but have hauling an 16' Enlcosed trailer around the additional height of the Ram bags made the ride a whole lot better. I will say once the 2/4 MCG was installed I was hitting the bump stops daily traveling w/out the trailer. If i do get a work truck and park this one I would like to try out and Durango bags and see if it gives me a lowered stance back in the rear.

Mods from Bully Performance:
AirLift 1000's, Jet T-Stat 180*, Vararram-T1000-Future Mods--Ordered