DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Washing & Waxing

Notices

Washing & Waxing Washing and Waxing your Dodge Ram! Talk about it here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-29-2013, 09:22 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Deep Cherry Pearl/Gold Two-Tone
Rep:37
AzDusty is on a distinguished road
Default Outdoor Ram

Hey all, when I get my 2014 Ram 1500, it will be an outside parked truck. And since I live in the mountains of southeastern Az ,the temps range from below freezing to about 100 deg. I have never waxed a vehicle by hand so that will be a challenge in itself. Here are my questions?

1. We have laserwash no touch systems which blow high powered air and that great smelling three tone protectant along with a sealant and spot free rinse. This has worked on my other vehicles but is it really?

2. If I should wax it how often?

3. I can read the debates on which wax product so I wont ask which one to use to start that war again

Thanks again all,

RAM 1500 4x4 Laramie Longhorn
Sponsored links
Old 05-29-2013, 03:44 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1945
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

The best way to take care of your Ram is to wash it by hand using the two bucket system (going through it all very thoroughly) and then waxing it. If you do 3 coats of wax it should last you about 6 months. From there you would want to clay bar it, polish it, and do three coats of wax again. The alternative would be to do one coat of wax but then you'll be doing it every month. Which is okay as well, some people enjoy doing that (myself being one of them).

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 05-29-2013, 08:00 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDusty View Post
Hey all, when I get my 2014 Ram 1500, it will be an outside parked truck. And since I live in the mountains of southeastern Az ,the temps range from below freezing to about 100 deg. I have never waxed a vehicle by hand so that will be a challenge in itself. Here are my questions?

1. We have laserwash no touch systems which blow high powered air and that great smelling three tone protectant along with a sealant and spot free rinse. This has worked on my other vehicles but is it really?

2. If I should wax it how often?

3. I can read the debates on which wax product so I wont ask which one to use to start that war again

Thanks again all,
Will you be hand washing it? The problem is even though waxing/sealing by hand is as easy as washing/drying a vehicle, if you have to use a touchless wash system, it will strip protection. [I don't know if you have water limitation and need to use touchless water reclamation type systems due to the lack of water in your region].

Touchless washes need to be able to remove all contamination without agitation, and it takes some serious chemical action to do that, and often it is enough to strip any wax that is on the vehicle. And the sealant it applies isn't going to last or work as well as other options.

I might look into a professional to apply Optimum Opticoat or Optiguard [you can too, but if you haven't hand waxed before, I would be leery of applying it yourself as it is a permanent coating].
Old 05-30-2013, 09:58 AM

Thanks time to break out some buckets, what is the two bucket system mentioned several times it it just two washes?

What do you prefer to wash with mits, brushes old rags, your wifes best kitchen towel (I did that once to my Ex-wife)

Old 05-30-2013, 05:37 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDusty View Post
Thanks time to break out some buckets, what is the two bucket system mentioned several times it it just two washes?

What do you prefer to wash with mits, brushes old rags, your wifes best kitchen towel (I did that once to my Ex-wife)
With the two bucket system you have one bucket that you dip you wash mitt in after using it on the truck to help remove all the dirt from the mitt. You then dip it in the second bucket to remove any of the excess dirt and soak your mitt in fresh soapy water again.

If your truck is REALLY dirt it's probably a good idea to do... for the average guy the two bucket system is not necessarily needed.... Personally I don't use it on my truck. I don't find that it makes a huge difference for me.

Microfiber wash mitts are the best way to wash your truck. You want to use the softest thing possible. Don't use a brush or anything like that. Especially the ones at gas station car washes!

8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Old 05-30-2013, 07:10 PM
Vaguely exact

Vehicle: 2012 1500 reg. cab 4x4
Trim Level: Express
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Rep:3148
PaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond repute

Also, all of this info can be overwhelming. My head was swimming with all of the info that I read on this forum. All of these guys had GREAT advice, just different ways of going about it, and with different products. What I did was to read all I could, then take a deep breath, pick a method and a product line, and just dive in. After you do it once or twice, you will get the hang of it all. Then experiment with different products until you find the ones YOU like the best.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:17 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
Also, all of this info can be overwhelming. My head was swimming with all of the info that I read on this forum. All of these guys had GREAT advice, just different ways of going about it, and with different products. What I did was to read all I could, then take a deep breath, pick a method and a product line, and just dive in. After you do it once or twice, you will get the hang of it all. Then experiment with different products until you find the ones YOU like the best.
Very good point and great advice!

Old 05-31-2013, 10:13 AM

Ok now I love me some gadgets got a whole shed full of them. Buffer or no Buffer? We just built a new shed and most of the stuff I had saved for times like this (including a less than 2 time used buffer) got tossed as junk (wife thing I guess) anyway I would have to buy some sort of buffer but when I watch videos on the Ytube I see people using drills and the old style two handed buffer machine. I also remember reading about you can seriously ruin a paint job by leaving it in one area for mere seconds.

Please I am refusing to start the which wax is better debate I really am.

But... With all I have said in intro's and my other posts, this vehicle will be outside in a four season type weather where max temps are 110 and lows are 5-9deg F.

Should I go with a spray on wax and skip the entire buffer purchase program (unless i get a steal)?

Ok I found a system that seems to be pretty good and I know the name anyone have opinions on
Meguiar's G55107 DA Power System Kit

Thanks,

Last edited by AzDusty; 05-31-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:07 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Using a random orbital polisher to polish and wax your truck is a great idea and gives amazing results! Yes polishing is a lot of work but definitely worth it in my opinion. After polishing my truck and waxing it (all with a Porter Cable DA polisher) it pretty much looks like a black mirror.

Check out autogeek.net. They have tons of great products for great prices. IMO it's not worth cheaping out on detail equipment. You want the good stuff that's going to work great and not risk wrecking your paint. I paid $200 for the Porter Cable and all it's accessories, 7 CTS pads, pad cleaner and conditioner, and a "how to" DVD. Can't beat that! Autogeek also has a great youtube channel that shows in depth videos on how to use all their products and get the best results. Highly recommended in my opinion.

Spray wax will never give you the results of a proper machine or hand applied wax. And no wax will ever give you the results of polishing.... The products are meant to work together in steps. Spray waxes are for a little more shine in between machine/hand waxing.

Also, the Porter Cable or other dual action polishers have almost no risk of wrecking your paint like a rotary buffer. In fact the Porter Cable will stop spinning if you press too hard. It literally is idiot proof.

Here's a link to my thread using the Porter Cable and some Meguiars products including a few pictures if you're interested.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=142829

Old 05-31-2013, 04:18 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:353
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

Good Advise!
Jay