Originally Posted by BigHornCAP
I have the name and e-mail for the National Fleet Services Manager for Chrysler Canada.
if i don't get a resolution to my issues i'm thinking of posting his contact info on here.
but, that will be the last resort. there is still a positive outcome possible before i resort to that.
I feel for you guys, so close you can smell it!
me, it's still not even in the right country! not that it matters i'm killing the order anyway.
How are you planning on doing that, you will lose your deposit (if u had one) will you not?
I ordered a truck back in April before the Apr 30th deadline and the last I heard (a couple weeks ago) was that it was still in "D" state/mode??
Not sure exactly what that means, other than guessing it is not in any system yet but I thought I would have heard something, positive or negative by now?
I did call the sales mng today but he was not in. Going to try again tomorrow to hopefully get some info about my order and inquire about the 8sp tranny.
If the news is not good, or it looks like I will be waiting excessively long for my new truck, I may also cancel but I am sure I will lose my $500 deposit, won't I?