DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-01-2013, 02:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Silver
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:24
OldRed is on a distinguished road
Default Need More Power!!!

I recently purchased a 1998 dodge ram 1500 with 120xxx miles on it. It has the 5.2 with the auto transmission behind it. It also has 285/75/16 tires on it. My problem is it seams to be very low on power. As far as performance parts go it has duel exhaust that split right behind the cat with no muffler, Has a spectra cold air intake, full accel ignition upgrade with the 8 mm wires, and it also has the hemifever sct tuner with the canned tunes. It is still sluggish off the start and hardly wants to break the rear end lose on the 91 tune. The plenum gasket is fine. I just feel the truck should have more power. I don't drive the truck hard and I don't Try to beat people off the line from stop lights but when I do want or need power I wish it was there. Any ideas of what to check into, because right now I half way want to go back to my V-6 Dakota. It at least felt like it had more power and pulled my trailers better.
Sponsored links
Old 06-01-2013, 04:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of gears you have in the rear, also have you thought of headers and a higher torque converter, also what millage do you have in this engine?
Old 06-01-2013, 05:50 PM

It has a stock 3:73 rear end I do believe. Truck has 127,000 miles on it. Into it as it rolled 125000. I am getting about 13 mpg it I baby it. 12 if I drive it hard and 11 if I pull our 16 foot equipment trailer loaded with lawn mowers.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:07 PM

Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Well not much more to ask, and not much more to say, its a motor that is bullet proof, just has no power. It's a 318, displacement-wise, but it's NOT the same as the old 318 but's there's a LOT that is the same-- most dimensional measurements are identical (bore, stroke, bore spacing, deck height, etc). In the early 90s Mopar came out with the "Magnum" series engines, they basically just reworked the old LA series.
Magnum engines use stud-mounted rockers, LAs use shaft mounted. Magnum engines oil through the pushrods, LAs oil through the head. Magnum engines use vertically drilled intake manifold bolts, LAs are drilled perpendicular to the surface. All Magnum engines use hydraulic roller cams. But LAs did, too, starting with the 1985 Police 318. The 318 last a long time, partly due to good design features like the long connecting rods and short stroke so 318s are VERY easy on piston rings. In fact, if you see one burning oil, it's almost ALWAYS the valve guides, not the rings.

So yes they are bullet prood, they just don't have much power, and at one point one has to wonder on a 127k miles motor, how much money do I want to put in it to get more power out. Also, at that millage your probably going to want to check the timing chain, they are known to eat those up so more money there. Some will get the head crack but they are rare. Solid engine, under powered. So in the end is how much more power can you get out at how much money, you did most of the standard stuff, but headers? will cost a pretty penny, new torque converter at least 1000$ installed, and its a 14 year old truck. Anyways just my 2 cents is all. Sorry no magic wand on me to lend you.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:37 PM

I understand what ur saying. I am only 18 and starting college for diesel mechanics/ business. I got the truckto last me for a while. Part of he performance parts were one there when I got it. I have added the tunner and ignition. The ignition needed replaced anyways. It just lags in power alittle bit for my tast. And as far as money goes I am in the truck pretty well with total investment around 4500$-5000$ and at the car lot I work at this truck would sell for 6-7 thousand. I don't mind spending alittle money but like u said I don't want to dump thousands in for no result.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:50 PM

image.jpg picture of my truck.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRed View Post
Attachment 36306 picture of my truck.

That RAM looks sweet and clean, nice truck, love them old models, I think its a great truck and motor and will last you a long time. I understand the power thing and would myself look into trying to get more out of her if I could. What tuner you have?
Old 06-01-2013, 07:35 PM

I have a sct tuner from hemifever.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:36 PM

And thanks I like the truck a lot to.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:54 PM

I don't think you could do any better than that setup without lots more investment. Congrats on a nice truck.