DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-01-2013, 08:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
2010Ram1500 is on a distinguished road
Default Power Door Locks Driver Side and Passenger Stopped Working

Last week , I noticed that my passenger side door lock was locking and unlocking only intermittently. This week it stopped working altogether. Now my driver side lock is doing the same thing. However, if I come to a stop and try to open the "auto locking" door with the manual handle, it will not pop the lock up or unlock door. Seems like that in itself is a safety issue of important investigation for Dodge.
Can anyone Help at all in this forum. Thanks, I appreciate any feed back or comments.

Sponsored links
Old 06-07-2013, 09:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Inferno Red
Rep:49
balki420 is on a distinguished road

I've got a similar, but not as bad problem. My remote randomly doesn't lock/unlock, and the very rare time the physical button on the door fails to work too. It's very sporadic and random, but I did mention it to the dealer while it was still under warranty. They re-flashed the computer that controls that, as there was a hotpatch for it, but it didn't seem to do much.
Good luck, and let us know what you end up figuring out.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2007 1500 Mega Cab 4X4 3.73
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:185
namretsud has a spectacular aura aboutnamretsud has a spectacular aura about

Probably a broken wire in the drivers door harness. Quite common as most wire bundles are usually tyewraped so tight that there is no flex in the bundle and therefore the wire takes the hit. This is common in many industries that run wire bundles thru corners that are flexed. Usually it can be prevented by cutting the tyewraps ahead of time and re-doing it using a loose fit tyewrap allowing the wires to flex without breakage.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks for your input. Just to followup, I have disassembled both doors and found similar problems with the lock actuators. They seems to have lost the ability to operate the mechanism in the units. If I look closely during either the lock and unlock buttons on the doors or on the remote, i can see slight movement on the door lock post. Its as if there is not enough power to move the mechanism. I know the actuator unit has a little motor in it. Its probably dead.
I confirmed the function when i disassembled the doors.
Just so you know balki420, my truck started the way yours is behaving and got worse to this end.
It looks like premature failure of the mechanism. its got plastic/nylon gears inside.
My truck has around 111,000 kilometers.

And namresud as far as the harness goes, its perfectly intact.
So it looks like i will be looking for a pair of left and right front door actuator assemblies. At first glance, they look like they are $150., per side. The labor will be extra unless i do it myself, which is my intent. I am still looking. Wonder if there will be others and maybe there might be a recall this should not happen. not on a truck of this class.
Thanks again gentlemen.

Last edited by 2010Ram1500; 06-09-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:33 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010Ram1500 View Post
Thanks for your input. Just to followup, I have disassembled both doors and found similar problems with the lock actuators. They seems to have lost the ability to operate the mechanism in the units. If I look closely during either the lock and unlock buttons on the doors or on the remote, i can see slight movement on the door lock post. Its as if there is not enough power to move the mechanism. I know the actuator unit has a little motor in it. Its probably dead.
I confirmed the function when i disassembled the doors.
Just so you know balki420, my truck started the way yours is behaving and got worse to this end.
It looks like premature failure of the mechanism. its got plastic/nylon gears inside.
My truck has around 111,000 kilometers.

And namresud as far as the harness goes, its perfectly intact.
So it looks like i will be looking for a pair of left and right front door actuator assemblies. At first glance, they look like they are $150., per side. The labor will be extra unless i do it myself, which is my intent. I am still looking. Wonder if there will be others and maybe there might be a recall this should not happen. not on a truck of this class.
Thanks again gentlemen.
Although the situation sucks, I'm happy to hear you figured it out. Read your OP earlier, and although I didn't write on it then (I had nothing to contribute at the time) I was scratching my head a bit on it wondering if both actuators went out at the same time. Highly unlikely but possible. Thanks for the update!
Old 06-09-2013, 08:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Hey RogerRamJet, thanks for your feedback. If we think about it in a mechanical logical sense, the fact that both actuators went at around the same time, not the exact same time, we can conclude theoretically that the door lock actuators were "locked" and "unlocked" the same number of times since i got the truck. To clarify, I have my door "lock-unlock" sequence to lock and unlock doors at simultaneously. So that means that the units failed after a certain number of times which leads me to conclude that the part will only work so many times before it breaks down. like bending a piece of wire back and forth till it snaps. In my opinion, an under-designed or insufficient component. its not robust enough. its a 2010 RAM, 110,000 km, hardly old. I have a 1998 Jeep. The locks still work great.Thank you for your well wishes.

Last edited by 2010Ram1500; 06-09-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I would bet that i have the same mechanism in my '09 & besides the door mechanism not getting the signal from the FOB from time to time
I have not had any problems since i bought the Ram in February '09, 85,000 miles ago

Now when the locks don't seem to be receiving the signal, i either hold the button on the FOB longer, so that the computer can search for the signal longer, or i remote start the Ram & that works every time when i hit the unlock mechanism afterwards

Good Luck with yours
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 06-09-2013, 08:39 PM

After working in an electronics related industry for over 30 years and the experience with my own truck, I still believe you have a broken wire. The wire can be broken internally and the plastic sheathing can still be intact. The only way to truely check each wire is to either ohm them out or to take and grab each end of the wire and give a firm tug. If the wire is broken internally the sheath will break and if it is okay it will not. I have seen a lot of cases when there was 1 strand left and the rest were broke and the motor the the wire went to would sometimes pulse but not work under load as there was not enough current.

If you are planning on replacing both motors I would advise you to just pick up one to verify with because being electrical some places will not accept returns if it ends up that it did not resolve your problem.

Last edited by namretsud; 06-10-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Hi there, as i had originally stated, the problem gradually went from intermittently on the passenger door to not working at all. Then it started with in a week or so on the driver door till it failed. if you watch the driver door while depressing the door mounted switch or the FOB, you can see a slight movement and you can also pull or push , depending on the unlock or lock switch depression. and the plunger can be aided to lift or go down.
So a wiring problem may have caused such a failure at first sight, but I had the luxury or watching it deteriorate and i know that without that luxury, it would have been hard to pin-point.
But a very good point also that netramsud suggested, replace one unit at a time. I think I will do that.

As far as the 2009 RAM, is it the identical part in specification as the 2010? That's my question.
Thank you all for your feedback.

Last edited by 2010Ram1500; 06-09-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:03 PM

If I remember when I was looking at trying to replace the actuator before I found my broken wires, it seemed that it was the same part # across multiple years and vehicles.