DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - News Desk > MOPAR NATION - Dodge Ram Club Regional Chapters! > Dodge Ram Forum CANADA


Notices


Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old 07-27-2013, 11:40 AM
FeedMetal's Avatar
FeedMetal FeedMetal is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Age: 22
Posts: 473
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 2
Rep:83
FeedMetal will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramit355 View Post
I like the Dial real well. But takes time to get used to the shifter on the dash like the old Plymouth's back in the 60's they were push button on the dash.
yeah thats way before my time hahah. with the 8 you get an extra storage cubby. but i like the 6, easier to have fun with and cant beat the power of the 6 when cruising. can stomp on it and just take off from 100km/h no problem love it
__________________
'13 Sport Crew Cab / Hemi / 6-Speed / 3.55 / Anti-Spin - aFe Stage II CAI - MF 14" Muffler - BP 87mm TB - BP Catch Can
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #42  
Old 07-28-2013, 08:31 AM
ramit355's Avatar
ramit355 ramit355 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Beaver,Ohio
Age: 58
Posts: 421
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2014 1500 4x4 CC Laramie 392
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Bright White
Rep Power: 0
Rep:24
ramit355 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedMetal View Post
yeah thats way before my time hahah. with the 8 you get an extra storage cubby. but i like the 6, easier to have fun with and cant beat the power of the 6 when cruising. can stomp on it and just take off from 100km/h no problem love it
Ha ha....Guess I'm older than dirt!! I liked them all too!! The 8 speed is neat too. All the Rams responds well when you stomp em that I've owned!!
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 07-31-2013, 06:40 AM
Dragpac's Avatar
Dragpac Dragpac is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 278
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2013 dodge ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:33
Dragpac is on a distinguished road
Default

Good thread guy's,I enjoyed the read.
__________________
[SIGPIC]



]2014 sport crew cab hemi 8 speed 3.92 gears
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 08-27-2013, 03:46 PM
Driver72 Driver72 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 311
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2014 Laramie CC 4x4 8spd 3.92
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White w/ Blk interior
Rep Power: 0
Rep:69
Driver72 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwagon View Post
I figured the 3:55/6spd would just pull away from me and leave me far behind. Couldn't have been more evenly matched IMHO.

Why dodge/ram has under rated the tow ability of the 3:21 geared 8spds ill never understand considering they pull just about dead nuts even to 1000' mark then the 3:55 inches forward, but only slightly.



Run 1- sorry I don't have a scanner

8:07pm

Left lane. Right lane

3:55/6pd. .................... 3:21/8spd
Keith. ...................... Chris

R/T .062..................... .717
60'. 2.371................:. 2.313
330. 6.507................. 6.414
1/8. 9.933................. 9.846
Mph. 72.41.................
1000. 12.835................ 12.775
1/4. 15.329............... 15.257
Mph. 89.51................ 91.19

Second race was even closer cause I wasn't sleeping as much on the tree lol
We switched lanes for the 2nd race to keep things even.

8:44pm
Left lane. ........................ Right lane
Chris. .......................... Keith

R/T. .221...................... -.023
60'. 2.387.................... 2.370
330'. 6.522................... 6.567
1/8. 9.990.................... 10.014
Mph. 71.47....................
1000. 12.949.................. 12.926
1/4. 15.462.................. 15.423
Mph. 89.84.................... 89.56

So there you have it, proof lol.
Can't thank you enough Keith major REP points

Maybe in a couple weeks we can meet up again at the track only this time we can run the old cars for fun! I want a rematch LOL

THANKS guys for taking the time to come out and have some fun

Let me put my .02 in on this.

First you stated the 3.55 6 speed ever so slightly pulled on your 3.21 8 speed after 1000' mark.
But your timeslip states otherwise:
R/T means squat when comparing which vehicle is faster, R/T includes driver ability and when the important part of the competition is "first to get to the 1/4 mile mark."

In race #1

You (3.21 8 speed truck) got to the 60' mark .058 seconds sooner
Then by 1/8th mile you were .087 seconds ahead of 3.55 truck
But by 1000 foot mark the 3.55 6 speed closed the gap a bit to .06 seconds (probably an additional shift was needed in the 8 speed).
However by the 1/4 mile mark the 3.21 8 speed opened the gap back up to .072 seconds and was pulling away a bit with a trap of 1.68 mph faster.

Race #2

This was a much closer race, where the 3.55 truck got to 60 foot mark .017 seconds faster.
Then between by 1/8th mile the 3.21 truck pulled ahead by .024
Then by 1000 foot mark the 3.55 truck pulled back ahead by .023
And between 1000' and the end the 3.55 truck edged ahead a bit more by .039 seconds.
However, the 3.21 truck was actually beginning to creep up again as it had a slightly faster trap speed.

These two trucks time wise are very closely matched.
But given all things the 3.21 truck did have faster trap speeds each time and had a bigger gap in race #1.
There should of been a 3rd race to even it out again, but based on times and speed if you HAD to call a winner here it would be the 3.21 8 speed truck.

But there is one big thing to remember here
The 3.21 8 speed truck was a "fully loaded, except air suspension" Sport package truck.
The 3.55 6 speed was an SLT that is not nearly as loaded.

The loaded Sport probably weighs 150-200 lbs more than the SLT

If the 6 speed 3.55 was as loaded up and was a Sport, the 3.21 8 speed would of had a more decisive margin of victory.

It is definitely close, but based on this test and what trucks you both had, the 3.21 8 speed is a bit faster than the 3.55 6 speed for sure.

A 3.55 8 speed vs 3.55 6 speed would not even be close.
And unless you have drag radials or the track uses a lot of VHT, I doubt a 3.92 8 speed would be any faster, as you'd just spin like crazy.
As it stands a 3.55 8 speed even with the Anti Spin Diff easily spins it's tires with Traction Control off, and even with it on, it spins for a second then bogs as T/C cuts in.

Good race guys, glad you had a good time.

The
__________________
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie CC 4x4 with LSD and 3.92's
2013 Ram 1500 Laramie CC 4x4 with LSD and 3.55's -GONE-
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 08-27-2013, 04:46 PM
Kman521 Kman521 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 132
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:11
Kman521 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
Let me put my .02 in on this.

First you stated the 3.55 6 speed ever so slightly pulled on your 3.21 8 speed after 1000' mark.
But your timeslip states otherwise:
R/T means squat when comparing which vehicle is faster, R/T includes driver ability and when the important part of the competition is "first to get to the 1/4 mile mark."

In race #1

You (3.21 8 speed truck) got to the 60' mark .058 seconds sooner
Then by 1/8th mile you were .087 seconds ahead of 3.55 truck
But by 1000 foot mark the 3.55 6 speed closed the gap a bit to .06 seconds (probably an additional shift was needed in the 8 speed).
However by the 1/4 mile mark the 3.21 8 speed opened the gap back up to .072 seconds and was pulling away a bit with a trap of 1.68 mph faster.

Race #2

This was a much closer race, where the 3.55 truck got to 60 foot mark .017 seconds faster.
Then between by 1/8th mile the 3.21 truck pulled ahead by .024
Then by 1000 foot mark the 3.55 truck pulled back ahead by .023
And between 1000' and the end the 3.55 truck edged ahead a bit more by .039 seconds.
However, the 3.21 truck was actually beginning to creep up again as it had a slightly faster trap speed.

These two trucks time wise are very closely matched.
But given all things the 3.21 truck did have faster trap speeds each time and had a bigger gap in race #1.
There should of been a 3rd race to even it out again, but based on times and speed if you HAD to call a winner here it would be the 3.21 8 speed truck.

But there is one big thing to remember here
The 3.21 8 speed truck was a "fully loaded, except air suspension" Sport package truck.
The 3.55 6 speed was an SLT that is not nearly as loaded.

The loaded Sport probably weighs 150-200 lbs more than the SLT

If the 6 speed 3.55 was as loaded up and was a Sport, the 3.21 8 speed would of had a more decisive margin of victory.

It is definitely close, but based on this test and what trucks you both had, the 3.21 8 speed is a bit faster than the 3.55 6 speed for sure.

A 3.55 8 speed vs 3.55 6 speed would not even be close.
And unless you have drag radials or the track uses a lot of VHT, I doubt a 3.92 8 speed would be any faster, as you'd just spin like crazy.
As it stands a 3.55 8 speed even with the Anti Spin Diff easily spins it's tires with Traction Control off, and even with it on, it spins for a second then bogs as T/C cuts in.

Good race guys, glad you had a good time.

The
I agree the 8 speed is ever so slightly quicker.
Weight wise I'm not sure how much more the Sport weighs in at considering my SLT does have a spray in bed liner and an extang bed cover.
How do the steel bumpers compare weight wise to the Sport plastic bumpers? It would be nice to get them weighed to see exactly how much each weighs.
My SLT also has an open diff which is why the 60 ft sucks.

Weather permitting,
I'm going to the track again on Friday Sept 27th and will be there with the Dart for the OSCA event on Saturday too.
On Friday I can do some T&T but with only one vehicle, either the Truck or the Dart.
Any takers?
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 08-27-2013, 06:58 PM
ramit355's Avatar
ramit355 ramit355 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Beaver,Ohio
Age: 58
Posts: 421
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2014 1500 4x4 CC Laramie 392
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Bright White
Rep Power: 0
Rep:24
ramit355 is on a distinguished road
Default

so how does a 3.92 8 speed line up?
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 08-27-2013, 10:09 PM
Driver72 Driver72 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 311
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2014 Laramie CC 4x4 8spd 3.92
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White w/ Blk interior
Rep Power: 0
Rep:69
Driver72 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman521 View Post
I agree the 8 speed is ever so slightly quicker.
Weight wise I'm not sure how much more the Sport weighs in at considering my SLT does have a spray in bed liner and an extang bed cover.
How do the steel bumpers compare weight wise to the Sport plastic bumpers? It would be nice to get them weighed to see exactly how much each weighs.
My SLT also has an open diff which is why the 60 ft sucks.
On Ram website the Sport actually weighs almost 300 lbs more than the SLT.
I don't think the sport's bumpers are plastic, they are steel, just painted.

The Sport comes with a lot more options that all weigh a bunch more.

Spray in Bed Liner weighs about 20 lbs at most and bed cover doesn't weigh much either, in fact it might of helped you as much as the weight of it would hurt because it made your truck a bit more aerodynamic.

If his truck really was loaded (sunroof alone adds about 50-60 lbs) and the leather seats probably add another 50-60 lbs. The power options add more weight too.

The nearly 300 lbs more he had to sling around and still had a tiny advantage just gives you a better understanding that even with the 3.21 axle ratio the advantage of having a couple extra gears and better individual gearing for acceleration with the 8 speed helps.
You'd of had to have a defensive lineman in your passenger seat to weigh the same as that Sport and in doing so, you'd of been back a good 1.5 truck lengths.

But trucks aren't about drag racing anyway.
Cheers
__________________
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie CC 4x4 with LSD and 3.92's
2013 Ram 1500 Laramie CC 4x4 with LSD and 3.55's -GONE-
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 08-27-2013, 10:46 PM
Driver72 Driver72 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 311
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2014 Laramie CC 4x4 8spd 3.92
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White w/ Blk interior
Rep Power: 0
Rep:69
Driver72 will become famous soon enough
Default

If you are interested in a more apples to oranges comparison.

I VBox tested a 2013 Big Horn CC 2WD with the 6 speed and 3.55 gears.
It did not have the Anti Slip Rear end though so launching was a bit tricky in order to not spin too much.
But I got a best 0-60 in 7.3 seconds with it in 3-4 tries.

Car and Driver recently tested the heaviest Ram 1500 (Laramie Longhorn CC 4x4) and with the 3.21 ratio still got a 0-60 in 7.2 seconds (guaranteed it was a 4wd launch though to keep from spinning tires).

I recently tested my 2013 Laramie CC 4x4 (about 150 lbs less than the Longhorn but some 300+ lbs heavier than the 2wd Big Horn that I tested))
But I have the 3.55 gears.
I got a 0-60 in 7.0 seconds.
That was with a 4WD launch. In 2wd mode, it was tricky to launch. With Traction Control on, it would still spin a bit then bog. With TC off, it was difficult to launch without spinning the rear tires. Launching moderately, even with some wheel spin, in 2WD mode the best I could do was 7.2 seconds.
The traction of 4wd was very beneficial.

This is right in line with what C&D just got. I have a more aggressive axle ratio (not hugely but a bit) but have a bit lighter truck too, so getting 0-60 in 7.0 compared to their 7.2 seconds makes sense.

Where the 3.55's really shine over the 3.21's is in the rolling acceleration or passing times.

When I duplicated C&D's "top gear rolling speed tests"
The 3.55 gears improved the times they got on the Laramie Longhorn with the 3.21 by
30-50 (.4 seconds faster with 3.55's)
50-70 (.9 seconds faster with 3.55's)

It would be interesting to see a comparably equipped Ram with the 8 speed in a
3.55 vs 3.92 comparo (both 1/4 mile drag and rolling runs).

The 3.92's would surely pull harder but I think may require a shift into 5th for the 1/4 mile which would very likely hurt it's time/speed, where the 3.55's finish the 1/4 near the top of 4th, which would be pulling harder than the 3.92's would in 5th.

Also the 3.92's would be really hard to launch well on street tires without spinning too much (it's already hard in the 3.55's) unless you have 4WD.

A 4WD launch with the 3.92's would be pretty nice for a heavy truck.
But to me it's not worth the gas mileage penalty to have the 3.92's since drag racing or WOT passing in a big truck is not what you are doing 99% of the time when you are driving it.
The 3.92's for me would only be if you lived at higher elevations, mountain range areas while pulling a trailer, or just have a 7000+ lbs trailer to lug around.
To me the 3.55's are the best of both worlds.
__________________
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie CC 4x4 with LSD and 3.92's
2013 Ram 1500 Laramie CC 4x4 with LSD and 3.55's -GONE-
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 08-27-2013, 11:53 PM
Kman521 Kman521 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 132
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:11
Kman521 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
On Ram website the Sport actually weighs almost 300 lbs more than the SLT.
I don't think the sport's bumpers are plastic, they are steel, just painted.

The Sport comes with a lot more options that all weigh a bunch more.

Spray in Bed Liner weighs about 20 lbs at most and bed cover doesn't weigh much either, in fact it might of helped you as much as the weight of it would hurt because it made your truck a bit more aerodynamic.

If his truck really was loaded (sunroof alone adds about 50-60 lbs) and the leather seats probably add another 50-60 lbs. The power options add more weight too.

The nearly 300 lbs more he had to sling around and still had a tiny advantage just gives you a better understanding that even with the 3.21 axle ratio the advantage of having a couple extra gears and better individual gearing for acceleration with the 8 speed helps.
You'd of had to have a defensive lineman in your passenger seat to weigh the same as that Sport and in doing so, you'd of been back a good 1.5 truck lengths.

But trucks aren't about drag racing anyway.
Cheers
Actually the Line X weighs somewhere between 40 and 60 lbs and the extang cover weighs 60. Taking that into consideration the SLT is still 200 lbs lighter than the SLT.
200 lbs is worth about .2 seconds in a quarter mile so that would indicate that the 8 speed is definitely quicker.

Agreed, trucks aren't about drag racing.

Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 08-28-2013, 06:43 AM
ramit355's Avatar
ramit355 ramit355 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Beaver,Ohio
Age: 58
Posts: 421
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2014 1500 4x4 CC Laramie 392
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Bright White
Rep Power: 0
Rep:24
ramit355 is on a distinguished road
Default

I had a 3.92 in last two rams before they made the gear mistake on the 2013 Ram. I pull a 7700lb camper and throw another 800lbs loaded so just under 9000lbs would be safe to say.When we go to this certain camp ground you have to go up a large hill and at the top is where you get water for the camper. Every time i pulled that hill with ease. I would get out of Ram get my water hose out and always one in front of me would say that Deisle pulls that hill with ease!!! Then they would look around and say that's gas!!! What the heck motor do you have....lol The 3.92 is a pull monster with ease.

PS I cannot spell crap!!!lol
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Advertisement






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:05 AM.


= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


=Gigathreads Network=
CLUBS MOPAR NATION DSM GPMM MAMM JAM
DIESEL Diesel Forum      
CHEVY Chevy Camaro Forum Chevy Volt Forum    
CHRYSLER Chrysler 300C Forum      
DODGE Dodge Avenger Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum
  Dodge Circuit Forum Dodge Hornet Forum Dodge Magnum Forum Dodge Nitro Forum
  Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Dakota Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Dart Forum
FORD Ford Raptor Forum Ford F150 Forum Ford F100 Forum  
JEEP Jeep Forum      
PONTIAC Pontiac G8 Forum      
SRT SRT Viper Forum SRT Cuda Forum