DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-02-2013, 10:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 dodge ram 2500
Trim Level: tradesman
Color: silver
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
lukeott is on a distinguished road
Default How to use 4 wheel drive?

Hello All, New member and new owner of a Dodge ram 2500. I have a lot of questions but will only ask 2 for now. How do i use the 4 wheel drive, or what I should ask is how to engage and then ungage it properly. I have the tradesman so it has the shifter on the floor, not the electronic dial on the dash. I've never had any 4 wheel drive before and don't want to break anything. Second thing, video's. Is there a place to learn about the truck that teaches you with video's. Even though this truck doesn't have all the bells and whistles, it is new and I'm not. Meaning, I don't have a clue about new trucks and there how to. I know how to use power windows and the door locks, that's about it. Yes I like books with lots of pictures. Thanks for any help you can give.

luke
Sponsored links
Old 06-02-2013, 10:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Power Wagon
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:61
steveschaedel will become famous soon enough

You can shift into 4 hi by just pulling the lever back to this position at a very low speed - 5 miles per hr or less. For 4 lo you should stop and place the trans shifter in neutral and then shift the transfer case lever into 4 lo. Not sure about the videos
Old 06-03-2013, 12:54 AM

Vehicle: '12 ram 3500
Trim Level: laramie limited
Color: mineral grey
Rep:29
scrappy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveschaedel View Post
You can shift into 4 hi by just pulling the lever back to this position at a very low speed - 5 miles per hr or less. For 4 lo you should stop and place the trans shifter in neutral and then shift the transfer case lever into 4 lo. Not sure about the videos
read the manual is a good place to start.

you can shift into 4hi at any speed(even though the manual only says up to 50?) and to shift to 4 low, be rolling @ low speed with the trans in neutral. for 4hi, as long as you are not spinning the rear wheels, engaging it anytime is OK.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:20 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
pitch1 is on a distinguished road

Pull it into 4hi at a reasonable speed.ease of the pedal,(not lift off ease off!" make your shift.Resume speed. Do not use on dry roads, your front hubs need a tiny bit of slippage or they will bind.
4lo do this at a crawl,2 or 3 mph. Already be in 4hi,shift transmission into neutral, pull transfer case back into 4lo. when your light stops flashing shift back into gear.
Use the same process to return to two wheel drive.
4lo is a major torque multiplier, you will probably never use it. 4lo is for things like pulling a real heavy boat up a steep ramp or backing a trailer up a steep grassy slope.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:31 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Shifting Procedure – Manually Shifted Transfer Case 2H ⇔ 4H

Shifting between 2H and 4H can be made with the vehicle stopped or in motion. If the vehicle is in motion,
shifts can be made up to 55 mph (88 km/h). With the vehicle in motion, the transfer case will engage/
disengage faster if you momentarily release the accelerator pedal after completing the shift. Apply a constant
force when shifting the transfer case lever.

2H Or 4H ⇔ 4L

With the vehicle rolling at 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5 km/h), shift the transmission into NEUTRAL. While the vehicle is
coasting at 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5 km/h), shift the transfer case lever firmly to the desired position. Do not pause in
transfer case NEUTRAL.

NOTE:
• Pausing in transfer case NEUTRAL in vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission may require
shutting the engine OFF to avoid gear clash while completing the shift. If difficulty occurs, shift the
transmission into NEUTRAL, hold foot on brake, and turn the engine OFF. Make shift to the desired mode.

• Shifting into or out of 4L is possible with the vehicle completely stopped, however difficulty may occur due
to the mating clutch teeth not being properly aligned. Several attempts may be required for clutch teeth
alignment and shift completion to occur. The preferred method is with the vehicle rolling 2 to 3 mph (3 to
5 km/h). Avoid attempting to engage or disengage 4L with the vehicle moving faster than 2 to 3 mph (3 to
5 km/h).

• Do not attempt to shift into or from 4L while the transmission is in gear. Transfer Case Position Indicator Light
The “Transfer Case Position Indicator Light” in the instrument cluster is used to alert the driver that the front
axle is fully engaged and all four wheels are driving. Electronically Shifted Transfer Case (Four-Position Switch) – If Equipped This is an electronic shift transfer case and is operated by the 4WD Control Switch (Transfer Case Switch), which is located on the instrument panel.

This electronically shifted transfer case provides four mode positions:

• Two-wheel drive high range (2WD)
• Four-wheel drive lock range (4WD LOCK)
• Four-wheel drive low range (4WD LOW)• Neutral (NEUTRAL)

This electronically shifted transfer case is designed to be driven in the two-wheel drive position (2WD) for normal
street and highway conditions on dry, hard surfaced roads. When additional traction is required, the transfer case
4WD LOCK and 4WD LOW positions can be used to lock the front and rear driveshafts together, forcing the front
and rear wheels to rotate at the same speed. This is accomplished by rotating the 4WD Control Switch to the
desired position. Refer to “Shifting Procedure” in this section for specific shifting instructions. The 4WD LOCK
and 4WD LOW positions are designed for loose, slippery road surfaces only. Driving in the 4WD LOCK and 4WD
LOW positions on dry hard surfaced roads may cause increased tire wear and damage to the driveline components.

NOTE: The transfer case NEUTRAL position is selected by pressing the recessed button located on the lower left
hand corner of the 4WD Control Switch. The transfer case NEUTRAL position is to be used for recreational towing
only. Refer to “Recreational Towing” in “Starting and Operating” for further information.

Transfer Case Position Indicator Lights

The Transfer Case Position Indicator Lights (4WD and 4LOW) are located in the instrument cluster and indicate
the current and desired transfer case selection. When you select a different transfer case position, the indicator
lights will do the following: If All Shift Conditions Are Met:

1. The current position indicator light will turn OFF.
2. The selected position indicator light will flash until the transfer case completes the shift.
3. When the shift is complete, the indicator light for the selected position will stop flashing and remain ON.

Last edited by Asur; 06-03-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Rep:2549
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow there you a go, a complete lesson on 4wd operation.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 dodge ram 2500
Trim Level: tradesman
Color: silver
lukeott is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks

Thanks all, will print and keep it in the truck. I guess this info is simple to others that have owned 4x4 for awhile, but I've never owned or operated it. Since there is a chance at damaging something very costly, I want to make sure how to use.

luke