DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-04-2013, 08:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Quad
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:286
naturecannon is a jewel in the roughnaturecannon is a jewel in the roughnaturecannon is a jewel in the rough
Default Is pinging bad for the motor? BD Tune?

I have the BD tuner and I know it gives her more power in the lower end but when I try to enjoy the tuner and power, get on the gas and go, hear all that pinging and spitting it make me cringe. especially now when I have the window down more. It Just dont sound right and is giving me second thoughts about removing the tune. Would hate to be doing damage to a brand new motor and taking a life from it in the long run. Fuel grade isnt the issue.

Thoughts or similar thoughts from those in the same boat?

180 thermostat help me with this pinging and suttle poppin-farting?
Old 06-04-2013, 09:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually V10
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2003-2003 488ci (8.0L) Magnum V10 310hp 450lb/ft
Rep:10
Pman is on a distinguished road

Here is a quote from the net:

USUAL CAUSE
Engine ping is the result of abnormally high combustion temperatures. The usual cause of engine ping is over advanced ignition timing, an inoperative EGR system or improper fuel usage. A defect in the cooling system can also result in engine

ping.
http://www.auto-repair-help.com/auto_diagnostics/diagnose_engine_pings_or_knocks_on_acceleration.ph p

I would say in your case, it is the fuel you are using. Try getting a super unleaded or a fuel additive. Both of those can be costly over time and add to the over all price per gallon you are now paying for fuel.

Here is what happens if you ignore the pinging. Detonantion will destroy an engine.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:25 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3269
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Is pinging bad? Very, as referenced by the photo above. What octane fuel are you running, and what tune setting? You must run the same octane or higher as the tune you're running. If it's on a 93 tune, running 93 fuel, and still pinging, then their tunes are crap. Switch down to a 91 tune and continue to run the 93 fuel because they're over advancing their tune for your vehicle.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:50 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:42
Piston Slap is on a distinguished road

What the heck, here's my rant:

This is just one of the many reasons I just decided to return my BullyDog Hemi Plus for refund. I didn't realize just how bad it was knocking until I was driving through an alley with the windows down. I bet there are a lot of people who drive around with the windows up and the radio on that aren't aware of what can sometimes be even a faint knock at times under certain load. It knocks/pings with 93 octane and the Performance tune. It knocks even worse with the Regular tune and 89 octane, sometimes with a mix of 89/93. I tried three different tune files and to no avail. I believe the firmware versions were A011, A00B, & B011

Also, on my truck the disable traction control and MDS disable never worked. Correction: On firmware B011, it would disable the ESC and ABS light as well. Not to mention the Brake light would stay on or sometimes flash. Like the way it does when put the truck in reverse with the parking brake on. It would also freeze when going through the various menus and require you to unplug and plug back in (or cycle the key). It is and was ridiculous, considering I paid $419.

I will say that both Lyle and Andrew were very friendly and helpful during my many attempts at contacting tech support. BullyDog customer service was excellent, but the product is junk.

Here's the kicker. After hearing how bad it was knocking, I immediately uninstalled it and the truck runs better on the stock tune, with no knocking, of course. The only "performance" difference I felt on both BullyDog tunes was improvement in shift feel and shift timing. However, it didn't feel any different than stock in other regards. And the BD tuner was hurting the truck.

Last edited by Piston Slap; 06-04-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:46 PM

naturecannon is a jewel in the roughnaturecannon is a jewel in the roughnaturecannon is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
Is pinging bad? Very, as referenced by the photo above. What octane fuel are you running, and what tune setting? You must run the same octane or higher as the tune you're running. If it's on a 93 tune, running 93 fuel, and still pinging, then their tunes are crap. Switch down to a 91 tune and continue to run the 93 fuel because they're over advancing their tune for your vehicle.
Chevron 92 is all I run and 92 is the highest we have here in the NW. Performance and regular tunes result pings, pops and spits with BD. Rather odd sounding, especially when I get on it to get out on our busy country main road. Can really hear the pings at cruising speeds when I am next to concrete road dividers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piston Slap View Post
What the heck, here's my rant:

This is just one of the many reasons I just decided to return my BullyDog Hemi Plus for refund. I didn't realize just how bad it was knocking until I was driving through an alley with the windows down. I bet there are a lot of people who drive around with the windows up and the radio on that aren't aware of what can sometimes be even a faint knock at times under certain load. It knocks/pings with 93 octane and the Performance tune. It knocks even worse with the Regular tune and 89 octane, sometimes with a mix of 89/93. I tried three different tune files and to no avail. I believe the firmware versions were A011, A00B, & B011

Also, on my truck the disable traction control and MDS disable never worked. Correction: On firmware B011, it would disable the ESC and ABS light as well. Not to mention the Brake light would stay on or sometimes flash. Like the way it does when put the truck in reverse with the parking brake on. It would also freeze when going through the various menus and require you to unplug and plug back in (or cycle the key). It is and was ridiculous, considering I paid $419.

I will say that both Lyle and Andrew were very friendly and helpful during my many attempts at contacting tech support. BullyDog customer service was excellent, but the product is junk.

Here's the kicker. After hearing how bad it was knocking, I immediately uninstalled it and the truck runs better on the stock tune, with no knocking, of course. The only "performance" difference I felt on both BullyDog tunes was improvement in shift feel and shift timing. However, it didn't feel any different than stock in other regards. And the BD tuner was hurting the truck.
Exact issues here but I had poor luck when talking to CS, they seemed over worked and quick to get me off the phone but then again I never reached them until shortly before closing time. Plus their upgrade software is crap and downgrades you, then you have to call BD to upgrade. Go figure And the B011 would not let me adjust my tire size.

WAY TOO MANY BUGS with the BD

By the time I tried various tunes and various situations, called BD several times in the limited time they are open for the regular working man to catch them at work.....I passed up my 30 day return period by a good amount of time.

I would suggest others really pay attention to their truck and the sounds it makes if they purchase the BD. And also make sure you have a few free days to get a hold of CS cause they close at 5 mountian time, if you work during the week your screwed for reaching them unless you get off work early. Get off early???....shit, I have to pay for that $400 POS bullydog I just bought with my CC.

I think I am going to put the BD on the shelf for a few months and see what happens, they slammed it out to fast with little testing in my opnion.

Last edited by naturecannon; 06-04-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pman View Post

Here is what happens if you ignore the pinging. Detonantion will destroy an engine.

Do you know how long the pinging continued before that happened? Months?
Old 06-04-2013, 08:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Limited 4x4
Trim Level: Limited
Color: Bright White
Rep:32
Reksul is on a distinguished road

Latest calibration is the A012. They gave me this yesterday

Click here

http://www.bullydog.com/domains/upda....A012.tv36.zip

This is the one that fixes the tire sizing issue and ping issues... so they say.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:45 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Hemi express quad
Trim Level: ST express
Color: Grey
Rep:195
RAM EM has a spectacular aura aboutRAM EM has a spectacular aura about

I am SO glad I went with Diablosport, as I have been reading more and more issues with the BD. I am not saying their canned tunes are any better, I had some pretty serious detonation going on too, but with the DS and the capability to adjust the tune I got it taken care of with a custom tune, and it performs even better. I'm not trying to rub anything in anyone's face, I'm just stating this for anyone who reads this thread and is on the fence about which tuner to get, and from now on will be recommending DS only. I was suggesting BD to guys that weren't modding their trucks heavily, but not anymore.

-DS Trinity- Hemifever tuned - 18" Magnaflow - BT catch can - 180 Tstat - 22" SRT10's - 305/45 Nitto 420 - SG 2/4 drop - blacked out heads/tinted tails - dechromed/debadged - 20% tint-
Old 06-04-2013, 10:10 PM
impugning the "hider"

Vehicle: 2012 1500 reg. cab 4x4
Trim Level: Express
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Rep:3215
PaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturecannon View Post
I have the BD tuner and I know it gives her more power in the lower end but when I try to enjoy the tuner and power, get on the gas and go, hear all that pinging and spitting it make me cringe. especially now when I have the window down more. It Just dont sound right and is giving me second thoughts about removing the tune. Would hate to be doing damage to a brand new motor and taking a life from it in the long run. Fuel grade isnt the issue.

Thoughts or similar thoughts from those in the same boat?

180 thermostat help me with this pinging and suttle poppin-farting?
I know I'll get hit over the head by the tuner guys, But this is why I would balk at installing ANY tuner. My truck is fast as hell, and shifts fine. It seems to me that the risks to your new engine would easily cancel out any minimal performance gain you might achieve with a tune. Like I said, just my opinion so take it easy on me, or
Old 06-04-2013, 10:30 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Express Quad Cab
Color: White
Rep:37
DWWHemiguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
I know I'll get hit over the head by the tuner guys, But this is why I would balk at installing ANY tuner. My truck is fast as hell, and shifts fine. It seems to me that the risks to your new engine would easily cancel out any minimal performance gain you might achieve with a tune. Like I said, just my opinion so take it easy on me, or
I agree. My truck runs better without the tune. I was also getting a weird pinging sound when I would get on it. Although I guess I'm not totally against tuners because the Diablosport predator does exactly what it is supposed to on my 2007 Charger R/T. I tried 2 updates on my truck with the BD and got the same result, zero. I took it back to Summit and got my money back.