DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-07-2013, 09:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Quad
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:286
naturecannon is a jewel in the roughnaturecannon is a jewel in the roughnaturecannon is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reksul View Post
Did that file help you any?
Still pings with 92 octane. Both regular and performance tune.

I don't see how it's possible others with same year say it works fine. They gotta have the ping. Hit the gas hard, let off quick and give the gas another quick tap and you can easily make/hear her ping.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:10 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:42
Piston Slap is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturecannon View Post

I don't see how it's possible others with same year say it works fine. They gotta have the ping. .
^Exactly.

Like I said earlier, I never fully realized how bad it was pinging until one day I was driving through an alley way between fences, radio off, and windows down. Mine would even knock on the BD regular tune with a 93 octane. You'll never hear it with the radio cranked up and the A/C blowing on high in the summertime. However, if you drive through a tunnel and get on and let off at various points in the RPM band, it's a thrashing machine. I must have broke a record time for uninstalling, repackaging, and tossing it in the mail back to Bullydog for the refund.

Not to mention the buggy features, like BD gauge monitor constantly telling me the trans temp was 6 degrees Fahrenheit.

The irony, or should I say oddity, is how strong and responsive the truck is running now on the stock tune. And you can put craptastic 87 octane in it and never pings, just like before the tune(s). I hit the reset adaptive button before removing, maybe that's why

All I know is I probably have half dozen flash counts trying to muck with this thing and the different tune file versions. That's what people need to be conscious of. How many times are you going to flash that truck each time BD comes out with yet another tune still full of bugs. I'd be interested to know about the Beta tester truck that was used and under what conditions the original file was written. Was it a truck shipped to and sold in a high altitude region? Was it completely factory stock down to the paper air filter? Just thinking out loud.

Don't mean to sound so negative. I've just never had an issue with a tuner like this before. I'm use to SCT and Diablo, which is always smooth and uneventful.

Last edited by Piston Slap; 06-07-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Limited 4x4
Trim Level: Limited
Color: Bright White
Rep:32
Reksul is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I don't see how it's possible others with same year say it works fine. They gotta have the ping. Hit the gas hard, let off quick and give the gas another quick tap and you can easily make/hear her ping.
Mine is already boxed up waiting on a return tag. Thinking about the Trinity. Doing my homework first.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:2008
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

I recommend the trinity because if you don't like the canned tunes there are vendors here that will sell you their custom tunes (whitelightning/hemifever) and will help tailor the tune to your truck. This should eliminate any PCM timing retarding and pinging that you are having right now.

Chrome... in moderation.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Limited 4x4
Trim Level: Limited
Color: Bright White
Rep:32
Reksul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arth View Post
I recommend the trinity because if you don't like the canned tunes there are vendors here that will sell you their custom tunes (whitelightning/hemifever) and will help tailor the tune to your truck. This should eliminate any PCM timing retarding and pinging that you are having right now.
Thanks Arth.

I have no pinging. I went back to stock tune and boxed up the BD to send back. The stock tune in my truck is acting better than before maybe due to clearing the adaptive values (Trim). I also drive around in Tow Mode for the tranny shift points and after 500 or more miles since dropping the stock tune back in my MPG is 16.4 using 87 gas with 10% Corn. That is about 1.5 MPG better than before the BD.

Trinity has the same 30 day return. I talked with the sponsor here who is taking care of this matter and he said he would send me a Trinity for the upgrade $ difference. The sponsor here has been very good to work with. (Discount Auto Performance) Last conversation I had was hang on while he has a chat with BD then he will send a pick up tag.

All in all this has been an experience but I'm not going to continue to run my flash count up. I have about 20 flashes working with this BD and that is about 19 too many. Lord love BD and I wish them well but that's all for me.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:37 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Hemi express quad
Trim Level: ST express
Color: Grey
Rep:195
RAM EM has a spectacular aura aboutRAM EM has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
A012 Update:

Pinging seems to be gone but its only been a day and I am listening hard trying to distinguish a particular sound..... may just be my exhaust but I know the obvious ping is gone.

To get rid of the ping I think they may have toned down the performance tune, sure felt that way when I had to hammer down in one situation.....but like I said, only drove the truck about 60-70 miles yesterday.

Not sure why they cant get the traction control functions dialed in. I am getting tired of the flash counts, gonna put BD on the shelf until I can contact BD and find a solution for all these flash count and issues and while they continue to SLOWLY improve the tuner.
They more than likely retard the timing advance, which going to diminish performance somewhat, especially @ WOT. I'm guessing the BD tunes have pretty aggressive timing maps, which probably attributes to most guys saying the canned BD tunes feel stronger than
Diablosport's. The unfortunate side effect is detonation (pinging, knock). It's probably just hit or miss as to people actually experiencing an audible ping from it. Does the BD have monitoring capabilities for knock retard?

-DS Trinity- Hemifever tuned - 18" Magnaflow - BT catch can - 180 Tstat - 22" SRT10's - 305/45 Nitto 420 - SG 2/4 drop - blacked out heads/tinted tails - dechromed/debadged - 20% tint-
Old 06-07-2013, 01:08 PM

Vehicle: 2012 dodge Ram Bighorn
Trim Level: big horn 4x4
Color: white
Rep:10
whiteknight312 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piston Slap View Post
What the heck, here's my rant:

This is just one of the many reasons I just decided to return my BullyDog Hemi Plus for refund. I didn't realize just how bad it was knocking until I was driving through an alley with the windows down. I bet there are a lot of people who drive around with the windows up and the radio on that aren't aware of what can sometimes be even a faint knock at times under certain load. It knocks/pings with 93 octane and the Performance tune. It knocks even worse with the Regular tune and 89 octane, sometimes with a mix of 89/93. I tried three different tune files and to no avail. I believe the firmware versions were A011, A00B, & B011

Also, on my truck the disable traction control and MDS disable never worked. Correction: On firmware B011, it would disable the ESC and ABS light as well. Not to mention the Brake light would stay on or sometimes flash. Like the way it does when put the truck in reverse with the parking brake on. It would also freeze when going through the various menus and require you to unplug and plug back in (or cycle the key). It is and was ridiculous, considering I paid $419.

I will say that both Lyle and Andrew were very friendly and helpful during my many attempts at contacting tech support. BullyDog customer service was excellent, but the product is junk.

Here's the kicker. After hearing how bad it was knocking, I immediately uninstalled it and the truck runs better on the stock tune, with no knocking, of course. The only "performance" difference I felt on both BullyDog tunes was improvement in shift feel and shift timing. However, it didn't feel any different than stock in other regards. And the BD tuner was hurting the truck.
wow, they are advancing the timing way off to get this to Ping bad. I wonder if you can put a factory readr on it while you have the tuner on to see the actual timing advance through the RPM's. its the only way to see this since there Is no timing light to look at. distributors were the easy way to physically adjust timing!
Old 06-07-2013, 05:50 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:42
Piston Slap is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteknight312 View Post
wow, they are advancing the timing way off to get this to Ping bad. I wonder if you can put a factory readr on it while you have the tuner on to see the actual timing advance through the RPM's. its the only way to see this since there Is no timing light to look at. distributors were the easy way to physically adjust timing!
According to the Bullddog gauge monitor...I was seeing 44 degrees at part throttle. This was with the BD Regular tune.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:01 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 QC 4X4
Color: Copperhead Pearl
Rep:54
LS1EB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piston Slap View Post
According to the Bullddog gauge monitor...I was seeing 44 degrees at part throttle. This was with the BD Regular tune.
I am new to Hemi motors and may be off base, but 44 degrees at part throttle seems very aggressive to me.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:24 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Quad
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Silver
Rep:286
naturecannon is a jewel in the roughnaturecannon is a jewel in the roughnaturecannon is a jewel in the rough

I think my BD is going to hit the classified here. I Was going to put it on the shelf and wait for BD to get all the bugs out but after hearing the last update did away with pings and I know first hand it didn't all hope was lost in Bully Dog. Maybe someone not reading this thread will purchase my BD. I received my BD in the mail 5-6 weeks ago . I have a feeling the BD will be a common item for sale soon in the classifieds if things dont improve quick.

I do my homework, read reviews and comments before I purchase something. Many here on the forum with the new GT gas Hemi BD raved about the BD and talk of how awesome it was..... and with the same year truck. That was a few firmware versions back too.

Not dinging on anyone specific nor passing blame or giving a hard time, just a funny observation and much needed laugh after burning up $420 bucks, pings, hours of wasted time on the phone and who knows how many flash counts I added.........You don't see vendors popping in this thread lending a friendly helping hand and dropping links for others to purchase and get a great deal on the Bully Dog, or better yet the "Pinging Poodle"

Last edited by naturecannon; 06-07-2013 at 09:06 PM.