DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-04-2013, 11:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
SilverRam12 is on a distinguished road
Default Rust on the Paint

Hello this is my first post here been lurking for a while though great site with alot of great info. Maybe somebody here can help with my rust on the outside of my ride. Last July I bought a 2012 Ram 1500 Big Horn It had 1036 miles on it. Got a great deal love the truck. Basically a brand new ride. Anyways I washed and dryed it off and noticed all these little rust spots on the paint and the rear bumper. I mean 100s of them. So today I went to my Local Ram dealer and the service guy justs glances at them and says thats from road salt so nothing he can or will do. I said i have never had a pickup that had rust on the paint and I drive over the road semi truck and my truck has no rust on the paint and it has over 600k on it. He got kinda shitty with me and said I can take it to where i bought it and maybe they can do something. So then i proceeded to say to him thats seems to be his problem since i didnt buy it there he didnt wanna do anything about it. So my question is whats my solution to this problem???? The pickup just turned over 4500 miles hardly got driven in the winter. Sorry so long but If this is how Dodge treats the people that buy their trucks I might as well go back to Chevy.
Sponsored links
Old 06-05-2013, 08:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:1900
gonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant future

common problem with these trucks. It's most likely rail dust or whatever people call it.

I think for the earlier 4th gens there was a recall for rusting bumpers. Might want to look into that and see if it involves your truck
JVC Arsenal KD, Bilstein 5100 adjustables [maxed], aFe Stage 2 Air Intake, Superchips 3865, Husky Floor Mats, Saddleman Camo Seat Covers, Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler SI/DO, 20 % Tint. 35x12.5x17 Federal Couragia M/T, 17x8.5 VTEC Warlord wheels, -12mm offest.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Sport Crew
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:110
RAM SPORT CREW will become famous soon enoughRAM SPORT CREW will become famous soon enough

All vehicles will get this,you just happen to have a light coloured truck (silver) it's brake dust particles and other metallic particles (Plow blades are metal) to further prove this point I have seen many of PLASTIC bumpers (white) with lots of these little rust specs. Clay bar and cleaner wax will get rid of them. Dark vehicles just hide them better but they are still there.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:55 PM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4364
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

+1 on what they said, if you do a search on the site you will find a few posts on this, lots of info there on how to get rid of this stuff, usually a yearly clay and 6 month wax will solve most of your issues.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:14 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Hemi Regular Cab
Trim Level: ST
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:277
GrayhemiST is a jewel in the roughGrayhemiST is a jewel in the roughGrayhemiST is a jewel in the rough

I would take it back to the purchasing dealer, and ask them to rub it out in the detail shop....you shouldn't have to bust your a** claying that whole truck...a vehicle with 4000 miles shouldn't have rust spots....whats next, rot spots? My sons Saturn is 20 years old, sat outside in jersey for 20 years, and never had that problem....and its light gold in color...ive had over 20 cars in 30 years , all colors and no issues. Ive heard dodge has crappy paint, so that may have something to do with it. Good luck.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:32 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Sport Crew
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:110
RAM SPORT CREW will become famous soon enoughRAM SPORT CREW will become famous soon enough

Take a white rolls Royce and drive it all winter and it'll do it also. It's not the paint, it's what's on the paint that you are seeing rusting
Old 06-05-2013, 08:05 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Crew
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black/Silver
Rep:147
TVL will become famous soon enoughTVL will become famous soon enough

Yep, I've gotten those spots on every vehicle I have owned. General road crap. Clay bar products work great!

Hello, my name is Tim and I'm a modaholic.

MODS: 6" RCX Lift, 37"X12.5R20 Trail Grapplers on 20" Moto Metal 962 Black/silver rims, remote tailgate lock, Bakflip G2 tonneau cover, LineX spray-on bed liner, Amp Research Power Step, magnaflow 18" muffler, S&B CAI, Passenger Front Ejection seat, Diablosport Trinity1000 tuned with Hemifever 89 tune, Spyder Projector/HID 8000K/CCFL Halos/LEDs Headlights, Retroshop Projector/HID/8000K/CCFL Halo Fog Lights, Recon LED Smoked Tail Lights & LED Smoked 3rd Brake Light, fully stocked bar w/tap, BT Catch Can, Chrome & Black Mesh studded Grille, HID Reverse Light Kit, customized tailgate badge....more to come!
Old 06-05-2013, 09:43 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Hemi Regular Cab
Trim Level: ST
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:277
GrayhemiST is a jewel in the roughGrayhemiST is a jewel in the roughGrayhemiST is a jewel in the rough

Never seen that before....what type of contaminents cause this?
Old 06-05-2013, 10:18 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Crew
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black/Silver
Rep:147
TVL will become famous soon enoughTVL will become famous soon enough

For lack of a better term, it's metal dust. This comes from all kinds of sources. The metal particles stick to your paint and start to rust. Best thing to do is use a clay bar product which will remove contaminates in the paint. Then put on a few coats of your favorite wax. You will still get them, but if the paint has a good layer of wax/polish, you will get fewer. I don't notice the spots on my black paint, but I see them all over the lower silver paint on the truck.

Hello, my name is Tim and I'm a modaholic.

MODS: 6" RCX Lift, 37"X12.5R20 Trail Grapplers on 20" Moto Metal 962 Black/silver rims, remote tailgate lock, Bakflip G2 tonneau cover, LineX spray-on bed liner, Amp Research Power Step, magnaflow 18" muffler, S&B CAI, Passenger Front Ejection seat, Diablosport Trinity1000 tuned with Hemifever 89 tune, Spyder Projector/HID 8000K/CCFL Halos/LEDs Headlights, Retroshop Projector/HID/8000K/CCFL Halo Fog Lights, Recon LED Smoked Tail Lights & LED Smoked 3rd Brake Light, fully stocked bar w/tap, BT Catch Can, Chrome & Black Mesh studded Grille, HID Reverse Light Kit, customized tailgate badge....more to come!
Old 06-06-2013, 08:32 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4364
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayhemiST View Post
Never seen that before....what type of contaminents cause this?
Yup, like TVL said, the stuff that causes this are metal particles that get imbedded in the paint, usually in the clear coat but some can reach down to the actual metal of the body. You will see this less in the warmer climates, in area's where you get snow plows you see more. When plows scrap the roads they leave metal shavings on the road, these are then put air born by other vehicles, then you come flying by and impact them in your paint, same thing for other vehicles brake dust, usually affecting the front bumper. Also your own brakes, if you have metal brake pads its even more so, those metal particles are hot, your usually moving so they lift and melt themselves into the paint, usually behind the wheels and the tail gate are more affected by these, changing to ceramic pads can help. Waxing your vehicle on a 6 month basis with 3 coats of wax can help, the particles now have a little more to travel through. Wax your wheels also, a good polymer or high temp wax made for rims will help keep them nice.