DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Guide to install LED's behind the grill.

11K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  Canadian Hemi Pride 
#1 ·
So I have had a few people ask me how to install the led lights behind the grill like I have, So i decided I would make a guide to the simple procedure.
Pic=

So first the supplies needed.
(1)Tube fuse and cover with wiring, make sure it is fast blow..(recommended to buy extra fuses as I did blow a few during set up and had to test different amp fuses to find the proper one.. I believe it is 10amp in mine now).. if 10 amp doesn't work.. Try different sizes. http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/m/myQyx0SAc84npnCYO6vvagw/140.jpg
(2)Led strip, weather proof.. either 2 12" or a 24"( 24 is easier for wiring).
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...t+12-in+LED+Flex+Lighting+Strip.jsp?locale=en
(3) Toggle Switch=15amp 12V
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...40P/Carbon+Safety+Toggle+Switch.jsp?locale=en
(4)14 gauge wiring
(5) electrical tape
(6) connectors, Both hoops and wire to wire connectors.
(7) wire crimpers, cutters

Sooo.
I ran a wire(4) from the battery to the fuse(1), from the fuse(1) through the firewall (went through main grommet with wiring(4)) to a switch(3) that I mounted inside.. then from the switch(3) a wire(4) back through the firewall all the way to the light strip(2).. I mounted the light strip(2) on the horizontal pillar with the hood latch on it right infront of the rad... and then from the light strip(2) I ran a wire(4) for a ground for the leds to the truck, I already had a ground set up for my HIDS, but any strong metal place would work. I made sure to use plenty of electrical tape to wrap all connections, and used zipp ties to secure the LED's(2) to the horizontal pillar incase the double sided tape ever gives out.

It is fairly simple to do.. I reconmend being gentle on the Led's wiring because I noticed that the saudering wasn't the best and could probably be pulled out easily if not taking care during set up. It is a lot easier then how it sounds.
Feel free to ask any questions or to see closer pictures as I will answer as fast as possible.

See less See more
#4 ·
Nice Job!

So I have had a few people ask me how to install the led lights behind the grill like I have, So i decided I would make a guide to the simple procedure.
So first the supplies needed.
(1)Tube fuse and cover with wiring, make sure it is fast blow..(recommended to buy extra fuses as I did blow a few during set up and had to test different amp fuses to find the proper one.. I believe it is 10amp in mine now).. if 10 amp doesn't work.. Try different sizes. http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/m/myQyx0SAc84npnCYO6vvagw/140.jpg
(2)Led strip, weather proof.. either 2 12" or a 24"( 24 is easier for wiring).
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...t+12-in+LED+Flex+Lighting+Strip.jsp?locale=en
(3) Toggle Switch=15amp 12V
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...40P/Carbon+Safety+Toggle+Switch.jsp?locale=en
(4)14 gauge wiring
(5) electrical tape
(6) connectors, Both hoops and wire to wire connectors.
(7) wire crimpers, cutters

Sooo.
I ran a wire(4) from the battery to the fuse(1), from the fuse(1) through the firewall (went through main grommet with wiring(4)) to a switch(3) that I mounted inside.. then from the switch(3) a wire(4) back through the firewall all the way to the light strip(2).. I mounted the light strip(2) on the horizontal pillar with the hood latch on it right infront of the rad... and then from the light strip(2) I ran a wire(4) for a ground for the leds to the truck, I already had a ground set up for my HIDS, but any strong metal place would work. I made sure to use plenty of electrical tape to wrap all connections, and used zipp ties to secure the LED's(2) to the horizontal pillar incase the double sided tape ever gives out.

It is fairly simple to do.. I reconmend being gentle on the Led's wiring because I noticed that the saudering wasn't the best and could probably be pulled out easily if not taking care during set up. It is a lot easier then how it sounds.
Feel free to ask any questions or to see closer pictures as I will answer as fast as possible.
Nicely done CHP. Rep points for the write up. Very articulate and to the point with pictures and numbers. Easy step by step instructions.

#5 ·
Nicely done CHP. Rep points for the write up. Very articulate and to the point with pictures and numbers. Easy step by step instructions.
Thank you:smileup:.. I was trying to get some pictures of the actually set up in daylight but was on the forklift all day at work and leaving right now to attend my brothers graduation.. Hopefully tomorrow.

#9 ·
Thanks:smileup:.. I have a 12" strip that I am hoping to install in a gap above my cupholders so I will be able to see them at night. They will be tucked away and unseen until I turn them on.. Just need time and eithor nice weather or access to my shop.

#11 ·
With your black truck with that nice grill.. It would look awesome.. I am trying to get some pics of the wiring and switch but have had rainy weather last few days and the shop has been to busy for me to pull it inside.. Well if we are both at the GTA meet, I can show you it in person.

#18 ·
Had a few peoples message me about showing the fuse pictures. I will make sure to take a pic or 2 tonight to display what the fuse looks like set up.

Also have ran into a problem with them I turn on the lights, they don't really turn on. They don't lit up but just barely dim. Only way to tell they are on is when you look up at them. I am thinking it may be just a bad ground, so I will be investigating tonight.

#29 ·
No it is still the same strip. When that pic was taken it was on a crappy iphone 3g. His lights were installed 2 hours before. I also had a bad ground (managed to pull the wire out a bit) and the power wire was not fully on the switch from when I was wiring something else I accidentally tugged it pretty good but never noticed. Fixed that issue now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.