DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LEVELING

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LEVELING Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!
Total Load Control!
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
FGT Motorsport
Bayou Goat Mounts
Mopar Online Parts!

Old 01-23-2017, 03:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2016 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
ThestigmachI is on a distinguished road
Default Rough country leveling lift kit void warranty?

I recently bought a 2016 ram 1500 bighorn and would like to put the leveling lift kit from rough country on it. Here's the link to it. http://www.roughcountry.com/dodge-su...-kit-358c.html my understanding is that it's 2.5inches lift up front and about 1.5inches in the rear. It should give me a pretty good stance and ride height. Any one use this kit, and howd it do as far as any drive line binding.What I'm worried about is the dealer warranty on the truck after this. From what I've been told if the dealer installs it I should have no worries, any one have experience with this? What were you charged for labor on this. I'd like to have an idea before I call them tomorrow. I'd prefer to install it myself but in worried about the warranty. Any one do this before and have any problems with powertrain or driveline warranties? I dont and wont take this truck offroad so those kinda stresses aren't an issue, I have an old ramcharger for those kinda things. This is purely a visual preference to take away the rake it has right now. Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 01-23-2017, 09:20 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2016 Ram 1500 CC
Color: Granite Crystal Metallic
Rep:93
14Hemi will become famous soon enough

No matter who installs the aftermarket lift, it will not be covered under factory warranty. With that being said, I would never pay anyone 3-4 hours of labor to install a $129 strut and spring spacer kit. I wouldn't install spacers myself either.

With a 2.5" strut spacer, you're looking for ball joint problems, I would hold out for Bilsteins or a better kit; with the $300-$400 you would pay just on labor installing that kit, you have far better options that you can install with basic tools and half a day of your time at worst. Don't forget to factor in the cost and time for an alignment after the install.

2016 Big Horn Hemi 4x4 w/ Limited Slip and 3.21
7'6 Fisher HT, Bilstein 5100 leveled, Timbren SES, Airlift 1000, 18" Magnaflow, AEM Dryflow, Falken Wildpeak AT3W
Old 01-23-2017, 09:33 AM
WATASHA OUTLAW

Vehicle: '14 RAM 1500 R.Cab 4X4 Shorty
Trim Level: TRADESMAN
Color: FLAME RED
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:479
Desert Ram is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Ram is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Ram is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Ram is a glorious beacon of lightDesert Ram is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome to the Ram Forum " Z " Family ThestigmachI

I went with the 2.5" Pro Comp Front Leveling Kit that my Ram
dealer installed and IS covered by warranty.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Hemi View Post
No matter who installs the aftermarket lift, it will not be covered under factory warranty. With that being said, I would never pay anyone 3-4 hours of labor to install a $129 strut and spring spacer kit. I wouldn't install spacers myself either.

With a 2.5" strut spacer, you're looking for ball joint problems, I would hold out for Bilsteins or a better kit; with the $300-$400 you would pay just on labor installing that kit, you have far better options that you can install with basic tools and half a day of your time at worst. Don't forget to factor in the cost and time for an alignment after the install.
Are you talking about the lift warranty or the truck warranty? I realize the lift itself won't be covered I'm worried about the truck. If it wasn't for that id just put it on myself. The dealer I bought it from said anything I do t it has to be done by a shop. Since I'm not certified anything I do would cause them to find some stupid reason to void the warranty if something breaks.

And desert Ram- i went on pro comp website to see what they had and couldn't find a leveling kit for my truck on there. Just actual lifts. I don't want to really lift it just get rid of the rake. Mind sending the link the the one you got?
Thanks
Old 01-23-2017, 11:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2016RCLB4x4/44-45
Trim Level: Loaded WT w/3.92 LSD
Color: White
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. It's a great read. I honestly believe you'd be just fine with installing Bilsteins at 2.1" for a perfect level. Lifetime warranty on a Bilstein shock if I'm not mistaken. If a manufacturer finds any aftermarket part to be the main cause of failure to your truck frame or component in question, then they can void the warranty. Up to you in any case.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: Tequila Sunrise
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
pkripper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Hemi View Post

That is not correct information. Many lifts installed by dealers do not negate the warranty. Also dealers take trucks to shops such as 4 wheel parts and these are sold completely built with full manufacturer warranty. It is far cheaper to have a lift put on by someone other than the dealer but the extra cost from dealer keeps the warranty in place.

Having said that, I would stay away from rough country.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:34 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Rep:2140
brandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond repute

As already mentioned, Bilstein 5100 adjustable front struts are a far better option for leveling than spacers. Especially on a 2013+ truck that are prone to ball joint issues. I'd recommend checking out the Guide to Leveling linked in my signature for more information on that.

If you'd like a quote on the Bilsteins shoot me an email at sales@revelperformance.com and we can put one together for you.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

After looking at the price of the price of the bilstein definitely going with those, less parts is always better. I'd still kinda like to bring the rear up a bit as well but that's not important. Found an offroad shop that'll install them for 175.still gotta call dodge and make sure that's kosher with the warranty. The dealer wanted upwards of 350 just to install. It's not that important to me. Out of curiosity what is it about these with ball joint problems and why does the bilstein help to prevent that compared to the spacers?
Old 01-25-2017, 02:03 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Rep:2140
brandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThestigmachI View Post
After looking at the price of the price of the bilstein definitely going with those, less parts is always better. I'd still kinda like to bring the rear up a bit as well but that's not important. Found an offroad shop that'll install them for 175.still gotta call dodge and make sure that's kosher with the warranty. The dealer wanted upwards of 350 just to install. It's not that important to me. Out of curiosity what is it about these with ball joint problems and why does the bilstein help to prevent that compared to the spacers?
That's a good price for install. Did they include an alignment in that or is that extra?

Long story short, spacer leveling kits increased the overall length of the strut which allows the front suspension to overextend. That overextension is what causes the ball joint to pop out of the UCA as it is at too much of an angle. Bilstein 5100's keep the suspension travel with OEM specs and don't allow it to overextend which reduces the risk of the ball joint popping out.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
That's a good price for install. Did they include an alignment in that or is that extra?

Long story short, spacer leveling kits increased the overall length of the strut which allows the front suspension to overextend. That overextension is what causes the ball joint to pop out of the UCA as it is at too much of an angle. Bilstein 5100's keep the suspension travel with OEM specs and don't allow it to overextend which reduces the risk of the ball joint popping out.
Interesting good to know. No that's not alignment unfortunately they don't have the equipment for it. I'm still going to price around other shops who I know do alignment. I just asked them cause I was there pricing out a new camper shell. Do you know of a way to lift the rear just 1.5 inch or so? If not it's not important just think that would complete the look. I kinda miss my leaf springs and torsion bars, so much simpler.