DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-07-2013, 02:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Hemi 8-speed
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:883
RedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to behold
Default Not your usual Bakflip question I promise.

So I have been looking and trying to come up with a cover for my truck, but just today somebody mentioned something to me that I had never thought of.

They said that they had a Bakflip cover which worked great with all sorts of weather conditions, load conditions, opening and closing, but what they hand't counted on was how easy it was to break into?

Apparently a smart thief and a coat hanger can be in the back of your truck in no time flat.

So that got me wondering if this has ever happened to anybody here, and just how true was that statement?

I know that soft covers can be sliced open in seconds, but what about break in's on these?
Sponsored links
Old 06-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Join the Dark Ram Side!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1534
DarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant future

I do not have a Bakflip but I have had my truck broken into. The thief smashed the back window and stole a GPS, sunglasses, and the monitor for my backup camera.

The moral of the story is if they want to get in they will get in. Nothing short of an armored car is going to keep your stuff 100% safe.
Magnaflow 14" Custom Install Bilstein 5100s Front Only Set at 2.8" Vararam Air Grabber Cravenspeed Stubby Antenna Dee Zee Tailgate Assist Billet Technology "The Punisher" Shift Knob Debadged doors and tailgate Plasti Dipped HEMI Badge The Punisher Grille and Tailgate Badges Exterior Chrome Delete 20" XD Series 795 Hoss LT305/55R20 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T Cabin Air Filter BAKFlip Roll-X Tonneau Cover
Old 06-07-2013, 04:33 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4X4 / 3.55 LSD
Trim Level: Outdoorsman Crew Cab
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl Coat
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:1043
gcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud of

My stock cover you can put padlocks on all 4 corner clamps. Also I don't keep anything in my truck to steel.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Color: Flame Red
Rep:2549
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthRam View Post

The moral of the story is if they want to get in they will get in. Nothing short of an armored car is going to keep your stuff 100% safe.
This is very true. Looking at my F1, it appears it would not be as easy as a coat hanger. Probably take quite a bit more effort & time.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:02 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Hemi 8-speed
Trim Level: Big Horn
Rep:883
RedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to behold

I was told that all they did was lift up the weather strip that rests on the tailgate, slide in a coat hanger and grab the wire and pull?

I don't know how hard or easy that would be, but I suspect that with all the people on here banging on about how good the Bakflip's are, that it likely doesn't happen too often.

The only thing that I would keep in there would be my hockey equipment, and that would only be for a few hours after a game when I hit the pub for some snacks.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:13 AM
Join the Dark Ram Side!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1534
DarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes1 View Post
This is very true. Looking at my F1, it appears it would not be as easy as a coat hanger. Probably take quite a bit more effort & time.
Probably true, but what if they just used a pry bar and popped it open? Remember, thieves aren't going to worry if they damage a cover or render it useless.
Magnaflow 14" Custom Install Bilstein 5100s Front Only Set at 2.8" Vararam Air Grabber Cravenspeed Stubby Antenna Dee Zee Tailgate Assist Billet Technology "The Punisher" Shift Knob Debadged doors and tailgate Plasti Dipped HEMI Badge The Punisher Grille and Tailgate Badges Exterior Chrome Delete 20" XD Series 795 Hoss LT305/55R20 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T Cabin Air Filter BAKFlip Roll-X Tonneau Cover
Old 06-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Color: Flame Red
Rep:2549
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthRam View Post
Probably true, but what if they just used a pry bar and popped it open? Remember, thieves aren't going to worry if they damage a cover or render it useless.
I would agree. In fact the dealer who installed my F1, said the only one he has replaced was do to a thief who did quite a bit of damage to the F1 as well as the truck. So nothing will stop a determined thief, no question.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Rep:364
spoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nice

I'm looking at my backflip VP and that statement is not true- At least not the coat hanger part- It would be easier to break into the truck than unhinge the backflip.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:07 PM
Stickers add Horsepower

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:2793
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you have an aftermarket alarm system which is very sensitive to motion.. A thief could bust into anything.. Soft=cut open, Hard= pry up, Topper cap=pry/break open a window, Locking tailgate=pop out the lock, standard tailgate=Open it. If you have a slider window they can just stick something in and pop open the latch or knock it out. Same as any vehicle.. If a thief knows what they are doing.. No vehicle is truly safe. Only advantage with my truck is that they will go deaf trying to steal anything with my truck horn and aftermarket alarm horn going off. Gotta love alarm systems.
Tow mirrors up for the haters
Old 06-08-2013, 10:39 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 4x4 RC/SB
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:398
Butter is just really niceButter is just really niceButter is just really niceButter is just really nice

Any bed cover is easy to break into, a pry bar is all thats needed!
2010 Ram 1500 reg cab swb 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, 3:92 gears, Flowmaster 40 true duals, 2.5 leveling kit, Bridgestone Dueler 275/55/20 on KMC Skitch Wheels, DeeZee steps, BakFlip G2 tonneau cover, Weathertech Digital fit floor mats