DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-07-2013, 11:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 LARAMIE
Trim Level: LARAMIE
Color: DEEP CHERRY RED
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
rileybear is on a distinguished road
Default Dealer wiped out software on 8.4an

Well last Friday I went to dealer to upgrade the software to my 8.4an radio.After 90 minutes at Flemington Car And Truck in New Jersey.they notified me they did not have the correct software, and by the way we locked up the radio, and the screen is blank, also the software would not be in until Monday.They asked me if I wanted to leave the truck until they resolve the issue they caused.NO THANKS! I could tell they had no clue as to what they did or a solution.Well fast forward to Tuesday when I went to the dealer where I originally purchased my vehicle. They had the upgraded software and it would take approx.30min.to install.after approx 20min in the dealership the advisor informed me that whatever they did at Flemington Car and Truck they completely wiped out all memory on the radio and the radio is now rendered useless.Call was made to Chrysler by advisor and he explained what happened and they are sending out new radio.Should receive it in hopefully 2 weeks.The moral of this story is if your radio is working fine no need to upgrade.Lesson learned.
Sponsored links
Old 06-09-2013, 12:40 AM
MOPAR or no Car

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Black / Gold
Rep:145
madhatr02 will become famous soon enoughmadhatr02 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileybear View Post
Well last Friday I went to dealer to upgrade the software to my 8.4an radio.After 90 minutes at Flemington Car And Truck in New Jersey.they notified me they did not have the correct software, and by the way we locked up the radio, and the screen is blank, also the software would not be in until Monday.They asked me if I wanted to leave the truck until they resolve the issue they caused.NO THANKS! I could tell they had no clue as to what they did or a solution.Well fast forward to Tuesday when I went to the dealer where I originally purchased my vehicle. They had the upgraded software and it would take approx.30min.to install.after approx 20min in the dealership the advisor informed me that whatever they did at Flemington Car and Truck they completely wiped out all memory on the radio and the radio is now rendered useless.Call was made to Chrysler by advisor and he explained what happened and they are sending out new radio.Should receive it in hopefully 2 weeks.The moral of this story is if your radio is working fine no need to upgrade.Lesson learned.
UGH wish I hadn't seen this post. My radio works find but knowing there is an update has had me thinking I should bring it in on my next visit and get it updated because if the dealership does it they are responsible. Then I read some of the issues of others and just don't know what to do. Like you said I could just leave it alone until it has issues or I get better reports.

2013 Laramie Longhorn
aka "The Enterprise"
Old 06-09-2013, 03:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Rep:91
Kelevra will become famous soon enough

I'm so glad I have the basic radio after seeing all these problems with the touch/nav radios. YIKES

but a bit of somewhat offtopic-ness:

Now, not saying this is anything related to where you took your truck but about 6 months before buying my Ram I was looking for a new vehicle. I had a 03 neon SXT and kinda wanted an SRT4. Long story short.. I found an orange blast neon SRT4 at "Flemington Subaru" (seeing Flemington in your post) but since I lived way in south jersey I couldn't come see it till the next week because of work schedules. After being approved for the loan through my bank for the car and faxed approval for the loan they STILL wouldn't hold it unless I gave them x amount of money over the phone (via my credit card number) I refused and they pretty much said **** you and treated me like a piece of shit thereafter, yep! bad times seeing flemington show up again.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

If you have know issues with your radio I would wait for the upgrade until they resolve some of the problems with the software downloads.I do understand that not all of us have had any problems with the software upgrade but there is risk that you could wind up like me.Also this was the first time the dealer did not send me a customer satisfaction survey to complete on my experience at their dealership.I wonder why?
Old 06-09-2013, 09:39 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram RCSWB
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
Rep:60
Jim45498 will become famous soon enough

Just like Kelevra I have the standard R1 and have Sirus free for a year. I would like to have bluetooth but this radio does not have that.
One good thing....no problems no updates no dumbass dealer to contend with.

Soon there will be a harness etc for those of us that want a better head unit.
An audio place will put them in and we will not have to contend with a non-experienced mechanic to do the install.

bottom line is..I believe the problem lies in the fact that those UConnect radios were changed and the mistake was made when they had the big idea that 2013 would not be interchangeable. The 2012 and back don't seem to have these problems. Also it seems it is just in the Ram trucks.

When it comes to these radios like the 8.4n (they will be available soon in the audio market) I will trust the aftermarket audio place before I would trust dealer.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:47 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn 4x4
Color: White
Rep:70
edge35 will become famous soon enough

Two weeks? Ugh!

My radio's cellular phone died shortly after one of the first updates and displayed a "vehicle phone requires service" error message each time I started the truck. The radio still worked but the apps and navigation were rendered useless, along with 911 assist. At first I thought I'd try and flash the software to one of the recent versions that have since been released but the instructions very clearly state that if your radio shows an error at startup you should not attempt a firmware update.

We finally got around to taking the truck to the dealership last Thursday. I had my wife explain the problem and that from what I've read on the Internet the radio will likely need to be replaced. My plan was to leave the truck with them long enough for them to handle its first scheduled maintenance and confirm that they need to order a new radio. Then she'd pick it back up and drive it until the radio came in since Elsie (my Longhorn) is our only car. I was 650 miles away in El Paso on business so my better half was trying to get everything handled without having the benefit of the info I've gained in these message boards.

On Friday the dealer called my wife and said they attempted to update the software. I guess the instructions that said not to attempt an update dont apply to Chrysler mechanics. Shockingly(!) it didnt work so they said they would be ordering a new radio. My wife said she'd like to pick it up so she could drive it in the meantime and the service rep said that wouldn't be a good idea. After their firmware update attempt failed the radio now cycles itself on and off at random...regardless of whether the key is anywhere near the truck. Worse, the air conditioning has stopped working, which pretty much makes a vehicle a torture chamber during a Texas summer day. Had it been me talking to the guy I would have told him that since they ignored directions and screwed the truck up even more they should give me a loaner car, but my wife didn't realize that the instructions said not to so she didn't have that bargaining chip. On the plus side my dad loaned us his one week old 4x4 Ecoboost F150 Platinum, so now that im back I'm enjoying that for awhile (quick review to be posted on a separate message).

The dealer told my wife he hoped to have the radio in a couple of days, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I will give them until Tuesday and if they don't have it by then I'm going to point out that their disregarding of the instructions rendered the vehicle undrivable and they should therefore provide a loaner car. As much as I'm digging the Ecoboost it isn't fair to monopolize my dad's new truck. I am just hoping that it doesn't take weeks for a new radio to come in like several others have mentioned.
6 speed (although the 65RFE is really a 5 speed), 3.55, air suspension, anti-spin, 20" Goodyear Wrangler SRA tires (aka crap), sunroof, Bakflip Fibermax & BakBox, bed extender, 8.4AN, black/cattle tan interior

Last edited by edge35; 06-09-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I think that was exactly what happened in my case also and I also have the same symtoms as you with the A.C. and blank screen.The Dealership did offer me a loaner but I declined.Did not want to leave vehicle and then find other issues when i returned to pick it up in 2 weeks.So I contacted the dealership where i purchased it and they will handle the new radio install.My dealership also had to remove the radio to take the serial #s off the back of the unit and then restalled the unit until new one arrives.