DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-01-2013, 11:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: TRX 4
Color: Blue
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:48
Giants89 is on a distinguished road
Default Considering buying a diesel

Good evening everyone. I've been doing some serious contemplating on selling my 12' QC sport and buying a Cummins. My job, heavy equipment operator involves me being around diesel equipment and trucks. The power and torque which can be made from a diesel platform is absolutely amazing. I love my Hemi, but I think it'd be pretty awesome to own a diesel truck. The Ram is my first truck, which is also my DD. I rarely tow anything so the truck is mainly used for recreation and daily use. The only reason I'd like to buy a diesel is for superior torque and modding. The diesel modding scheme has really grown and I'm intrigued by it. If I were to purchase a diesel it would mainly replace my Hemi and remain a daily driver. I know many people would ridicule the thought of owning a big diesel just to drive to and from work. One day I may purchase a boat, trailer or camper. Just trying to get some input from some fellow Ram owners. Please no hate on this thought!!
Old 09-02-2013, 12:11 AM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1945
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Sounds like you're in the exact same boat as me. My truck is also my daily driver and I don't tow very often (at the moment) but might buy a big trailer in the future. I pretty much had the same thoughts as you as far as wanting the power and torque of a diesel, extra mod options, all that kind of stuff. Well I finally went ahead a did it and I can tell you I don't regret it one bit! Driving the Cummins is a whole new level of truck. I can't even describe it. If you want to get in to one and have the option to do it I say go for it! Because that bug will never leave you, it will always be pushing you towards the Cummins

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 09-02-2013, 12:31 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: TRX 4
Color: Blue
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:48
Giants89 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
Sounds like you're in the exact same boat as me. My truck is also my daily driver and I don't tow very often (at the moment) but might buy a big trailer in the future. I pretty much had the same thoughts as you as far as wanting the power and torque of a diesel, extra mod options, all that kind of stuff. Well I finally went ahead a did it and I can tell you I don't regret it one bit! Driving the Cummins is a whole new level of truck. I can't even describe it. If you want to get in to one and have the option to do it I say go for it! Because that bug will never leave you, it will always be pushing you towards the Cummins
Agreed! The mod opportunities with a diesel are practically limitless! Plus I really miss boost. Before my Ram I owned a 2011 WRX, which was an awesome car! Just the thought of having a turbo twice the size of the turbo in the WRX, paired with a big cummins is just too awesome I couldn't agree with you more regarding diesel "bug" too! This bug started about 3 years ago when I was big into my little tuner car phase. I almost bought a F-250 with the 6.0 Powerstroke. I really do question myself on occasion, why did I buy the 1500 Hemi.. I should have just bought a used 3rd gen Cummins with the 5.9 or 6.7!! I would be without a truck payment right now. Your truck is gorgeous by the way! I'm not to sure I'd be able to go that big. If I do sell my truck I'd be looking used, 2008+ Cummins. I'm also interested in the Duramax paired with the Allison trans. I'm looking to buy a truck with light, tasteful mods, such as level, rims, tires and some EGR deletes.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:03 AM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1945
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Yes, it's actually ridiculous. Already just looking around at some parts and a cummins forum for the past week I've found tons of parts that I could add to my list for my truck. It's just never ending!
2011 WRX is definitely a sick car. I wouldn't mind having one of those someday. But a truck is higher on my list I'm fully with you on questioning the purchase of your 1500 as well. I went through the same thing. My plan was to keep it for at least 3 or 4 years and then buy a Cummins but I just couldn't stand it anymore. I needed more. Lol.

Thanks for the compliment! I definitely did go all out with this one. I figured if I'm going to do it I might as well go all out and make sure I get everything I want. So that's what I did.

The 3rd gen Cummins are also very nice trucks. Love the look of them. A 2007+ Duramax is also nice... But I'd still go with a Cummins over any other diesel truck. What's nice about buying a truck that's a few years old is that you don't have to worry about warranty when doing deletes. That's the one thing stopping me right now which is kind of unfortunate. I'd love to do a full turbo back exhaust, deletes and a tuner.... But I don't want to screw with my warranty quite yet. I gotta at least wait a couple years.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 09-02-2013, 06:06 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 ram 2500
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: flame red
Rep:471
Kcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of lightKcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of lightKcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of lightKcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of lightKcbigbadram is a glorious beacon of light

I was in the same place a few months back. Finally bought the cummins and sure am glad I did! If you can make it work money wise I say get the new truck.

6" BDS lift kit, BMF R.E.P.R, 37" toyo MT, recon cab lights, color matched interior trim, tinted tails, custom headlights, cjc off-road light bar, backrack, afe stage 2 CAI
sponsored by BULLY'S PERFORMANCE
Old 09-02-2013, 10:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
ms8091 is on a distinguished road

I agree. If you can swing it, do it. I owned another brand diesel a couple trucks ago and the power is awesome. Not to mention the sound and the smell of diesel in the morning. Good luck.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:58 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Sage Green Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:496
dodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of light

If you want a deisel as a toy and for modding and daily driving stick with a 5.9 cummins my opinion is a 03-08 are the best years of the cummins.. The 6.7 is nice but they killed it with all the emissions stuff the government is putting in place as a law now a days.. I'm up and down on this idea everyday.. Would love a cummins but for me it's not worth it for the extra cost of maintenance and repairs plus the modding sickness once u start u can never stop lol.. I tow and haul stuff all the time and my little hemi does just dandy.. But for sure cummins is where it's at
Old 09-02-2013, 05:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Sport
Rep:66
MBR will become famous soon enough

Between my wife and I we've had 5 diesels and 3 gas trucks, I'm currently driving my 2010 Hemi as my daily as my previous truck 05 2500 5.9L just needed a change from the rough riding suspension being a diesel. The wife drives a 2008 6.7L with a 6" lift and wouldn't have it any other way. After having the new Hemi I don't know if I could go back just due to how damn smooth it rides!
Old 09-02-2013, 06:07 PM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:963
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBR View Post
Between my wife and I we've had 5 diesels and 3 gas trucks, I'm currently driving my 2010 Hemi as my daily as my previous truck 05 2500 5.9L just needed a change from the rough riding suspension being a diesel. The wife drives a 2008 6.7L with a 6" lift and wouldn't have it any other way. After having the new Hemi I don't know if I could go back just due to how damn smooth it rides!
You said it perfectly MBR! As my Pops and I, just this last weekend, drove out to the rifle range in his 99 3/4 ton Cummins with over 300000 miles and purring; But when we got off the concrete onto gravel/dirt roads, it made me miss my 1500 Hemi. My kidneys were ready for emptying once we got parked. Can you imagine stadium trucks/Baja using HD axles and suspension? Wholly headache man! My Pops fell asleep in my 1500 Hemi for two hours while towing the boat to the lake. All he could say was, "Damn!, that sure didn't feel like any Ram I'm used to ridin in!" Snored all the way up, like a big ole happy baby! Not one need for a pee break.

Last edited by Gantman; 09-02-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:34 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 CC 4X4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black
Rep:71
topgun will become famous soon enough

The new 2500 trucks get the coils in the rear which should help with the ride. If you really want a diesel and can afford it, go for it.