DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-02-2013, 12:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Hemi 8-speed
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:883
RedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to behold
Default Rookie truck driving question.....

I know that there are loads of threads about which tonneau cover is best, but that's not what this thread is meant to be.

I looked for my answer in the search field, but couldn't come up with anything.

My question is more about your view being blocked with the flip up covers versus the roll up ones.

This will be my first truck ever purchased (or driven for that matter), and I can't seem to get over the concept of driving with just your mirrors when your tonneau cover blocks your back window.

For those of you that have the experience, I wonder if you would be so kind as to tell me how you feel about your choice.

I should point out that I understand that the cover isn't always in the up position blocking your view, but when it is up it does block your line of sight.

If this post is a duplicate then I apologize, and don't mind it being moved to where it should go.

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored links
Old 06-02-2013, 01:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:2744
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

Hey congrats on your first truck.. By having a cover that blocks your view i am assuming you mean a hard flip up like a bakflip?.. driving with your mirrors is very simple.. it will take some time at first, but you will catch on easy. With most hard covers they also do a full locking flip up and still sit in the box, with an extra flip onto the window. I have a tri-fold soft cover which flips up and only cover 1.5ft of the box, very easy. I am personnally not a big fan of the roll up covers. I really wanted to get the bakflip for my Ram but decided to go cheaper with the soft tri-fold.. and never had an issue. I have pop up pocket hooks so my cover fits over my bed rails perfectly. Cover only takes about 1 minute to put on and to remove.

Now with the hard cover.. For the first while with the truck just get used to driving it and you will find that you will be using your side mirrors alot more then your rear. And for the odd time that you need the cover fully flipped up, you will learn to be comfortable and catch on fast. Similar to the first time you drive with a tall load in the bed (happens more often then expected due to friends ) and when you first tow a trailer.. Takes time but just take your time and you will clue in.

I see you are from Toronto.. Hope I will see you around at our next ontario Ram meet.. Is a great time and get to meet some excellent people.
Tow mirrors up for all the haters
Old 06-02-2013, 01:18 AM

RedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to behold

Wow thanks for the quick reply.

I suppose I should try driving the truck for a bit before I get a cover, but the thought of leaving the back open all the time doesn't seem right. LOL....

My dealer said that he would try and find me a good deal on one, but I had to decide if I wanted a hard cover like the Bakflip or a rollup kind like the Roll-X.

Which ever one it is I choose, it need to have a solid surface. I play a lot of hockey all year long and don't want anybody to stick a knife through the fabric and make off with my smelly equipment........on the other hand?? Hmmmmmm...........lol.

I guess I should also look into what ones work with a Rambox and which ones don't as that could answer my question for me.

As for meeting up with other Ram owners, sure that would be good. I just have to get mine first. Next Wednesday can't come quick enough. LOL......
Old 06-02-2013, 01:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah the odd time I still go play hockey I keep my goalie equipment in the bed of mine and also keep a toolbox in there . I love having my cover even if it soft. I got a 2 way alarm which is pretty sensitive.. So if anyone tries to make an attempt at getting through my cover, they will go deaf first
I am pretty certain that the bakflip has a cover for the Rambox. Bakflip is a very good brand and when my dad controlled a gm dealership, all of his GMC's had them, and he always suggested them to interested customers.

Driving the truck will take very little time to get used to. I have the luxery of being able to have driving all of the big 3's 1/2, 3/4 and 1 tons from before I was old enough to drive, but this was my first actual truck that has ever been mine.. And oh ya btw... The toyota tundras are terrible to drive.. nothing mechanical feels like a truck, and they over-bulked it causing bad blind spots.

Can't wait to see some posts of the new ram.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:36 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: True Blue Pearl
Rep:159
CaptDuff has a spectacular aura aboutCaptDuff has a spectacular aura about

If you view is blocked, adjust your rear view mirror up. lol.

All the tonneau's I've had on my various trucks, including hard and soft roll up covers, have never blocked the view out the rear view mirror.

On my new truck I have now, I have a toolbox and a soft roll up cover, and with the cover rolled up, I still see the tailgate lip. So I have no problem seeing over the toolbox and cover when rolled up. And I do use the rear view mirror more than the side mirrors when I drive. Even if I didn't have the toolbox, it looks to me that the tonneau would roll up to the back of the cab as the same height as the seats in the back. So no loss of view there either.

Obviously towing a trailer is different, but that's why I have a rear view camera attached to the trailer that runs all the time and a 7 inch monitor in the cab to act as a rear view camera.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:55 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDuff View Post

All the tonneau's I've had on my various trucks, including hard and soft roll up covers, have never blocked the view out the rear view mirror.

On my new truck I have now, I have a toolbox and a soft roll up cover, and with the cover rolled up, I still see the tailgate lip. So I have no problem seeing over the toolbox and cover when rolled up. And I do use the rear view mirror more than the side mirrors when I drive. Even if I didn't have the toolbox, it looks to me that the tonneau would roll up to the back of the cab as the same height as the seats in the back. So no loss of view there either.

Obviously towing a trailer is different, but that's why I have a rear view camera attached to the trailer that runs all the time and a 7 inch monitor in the cab to act as a rear view camera.
The bak flip is a quad flip and completely flips up against the back window and covers it fully.
This is what it looks like..
http://www.bakflip-tonneau.com/images/features/4bg.jpg

Rear view camera for the trailer is a good idea.. Seeing as we are delivering and towing different RV's every day.. Would be a big hassle to mount and set up a camera for each one.. But our trucks have towing mirrors and such too.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Hemi Pride View Post
Yeah the odd time I still go play hockey I keep my goalie equipment in the bed of mine and also keep a toolbox in there . I love having my cover even if it soft. I got a 2 way alarm which is pretty sensitive.. So if anyone tries to make an attempt at getting through my cover, they will go deaf first
I am pretty certain that the bakflip has a cover for the Rambox. Bakflip is a very good brand and when my dad controlled a gm dealership, all of his GMC's had them, and he always suggested them to interested customers.

Driving the truck will take very little time to get used to. I have the luxery of being able to have driving all of the big 3's 1/2, 3/4 and 1 tons from before I was old enough to drive, but this was my first actual truck that has ever been mine.. And oh ya btw... The toyota tundras are terrible to drive.. nothing mechanical feels like a truck, and they over-bulked it causing bad blind spots.

Can't wait to see some posts of the new ram.
Ya I've read a lot of great things about the Bakflp. That could be the one I end up going with in the end.

I suppose as I said I should drive it first, but the anticipation is killing me so I want to get all my questions out now. LOL......
Old 06-02-2013, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDuff View Post
LOL......or I could have my wife sit in the bed of the truck and yell out instructions.......it's kind of like what she does now, but only closer!! HAHAHAHAHA.......
Old 06-02-2013, 02:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSmart View Post
Ya I've read a lot of great things about the Bakflp. That could be the one I end up going with in the end.

I suppose as I said I should drive it first, but the anticipation is killing me so I want to get all my questions out now. LOL......
One of the first things I did when the truck was officially mine was designed a list of mods I have always wanted for my truck. Stage 1 will be complete after the level, 35's with rims and bush/bull bar. Stage 2 for next year includes a 6" lift, body lift and getting carried away
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSmart View Post
LOL......or I could have my wife sit in the bed of the truck and yell out instructions.......it's kind of like what she does now, but only closer!! HAHAHAHAHA.......
Get a flowmaster super 44 exhaust, close the windows, put the cover up, crank the music.. and won't even know she is there
Old 06-02-2013, 10:32 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express
Rep:10
pitch1 is on a distinguished road

Driving with out your rear view mirror is a non issue. Just something you learn without knowing you are learning it. I don't know that I ever look in mine.
Go out on a sparsely traveled road,tilt your mirror to the ceiling and drive. Two or three days you won't even miss it. There are millions of vans and box trucks out there with no interior rear view and they are not leaving a trail of mayhem in their wake. You can do it too!