DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-03-2013, 07:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1997 1500 quadcab
Trim Level: slt
Color: maroon
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
beachbumtroy is on a distinguished road
Default newbie with 2nd question (rear main seal)

ok guys had the rear main seal replaced buy a craigslist mechanic now its leaking worse anyway he said he had to lower the crank cause he couldnt get the top half of the seal out,and now im re-doing it myself so my questions are....exactly which way does the seal go? i havent seen it yet but was told the cupped side goes towards the motor? and what is the rod bearing torque and order,so i can make sure he did it right if at all,i`m hoping that i can get the old seal out and new one in the way it was intended should have did it myself to begin with just wasnt sure i could handle it now i dont want anybody else to screw it up lol thnx guys for any and all help. p.s its a 99 1500 ram 5.2 motor thnx
Sponsored links
Old 06-03-2013, 08:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbumtroy View Post
ok guys had the rear main seal replaced buy a craigslist mechanic now its leaking worse anyway he said he had to lower the crank cause he couldnt get the top half of the seal out,and now im re-doing it myself so my questions are....exactly which way does the seal go? i havent seen it yet but was told the cupped side goes towards the motor? and what is the rod bearing torque and order,so i can make sure he did it right if at all,i`m hoping that i can get the old seal out and new one in the way it was intended should have did it myself to begin with just wasnt sure i could handle it now i dont want anybody else to screw it up lol thnx guys for any and all help. p.s its a 99 1500 ram 5.2 motor thnx
You hired an idiot, not a mechanic. He shouldn't of had to lower the crank, matter fact it is bad he did because you are probably going to have bearing issues down the road. He should have used a drift punch and just give it a light tap so the other end of the seal sneaks out, then use your needle nose to grab the seal and pull around the circumference of the shaft. Idiots! The new seal should have instructions included that tell you which direct the seal goes, I believe it is white side out. The point is to make sure that the larger lip is inward so the oil pressure can seal the lip onto the shaft. Make sure that you put a very small amount, I mean small like half a baby pee sized of Black RTV sealant on the space between the seal outer edge and the end cap. As for torque specs I don't remember those off the top of my head and I have them on my other computer but it is too much of a hassle, if you google you can find them in the blink of an eye. Or on this site http://dodgeram.info/ Anyways, this is bad because one idiot on craigslist can ruin it for all the mechanics on craigslist. I am not a mechanic by profession I am actually a mechanical engineering student right now, but I put ads on craigslist as a mechanic so I can make enough money to pay for gas to commute between home and school but also to pay for all the parts and stuff for my ram. The difference between me and everyone else on craigslist is that I actually know what I am doing.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default rear main

unfortunately now i know he`s an idiot lol, because i knew enough not to pull the crank but he had already done it.... anyway thnx for the tips and links and just in case he is houdinis auto repair in pinellas park florida,now that i think about it should have stayed away from the name huh? oh well live and learn thnx
Old 06-03-2013, 08:33 PM

ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
unfortunately now i know he`s an idiot lol, because i knew enough not to pull the crank but he had already done it.... anyway thnx for the tips and links and just in case he is houdinis auto repair in pinellas park florida,now that i think about it should have stayed away from the name huh? oh well live and learn thnx
Good idea that you put his name up on the web so people know to stay away. What I was saying before though is that I have ads in the auto repair section of craigslist because I fix and modify cars and trucks for pocket money, like I said before. Yea the name should of gave it away, what is wrong with you? :P Anyways though, if you ever do want to get a repair done and done properly you can always bring it to me. I like to help out people who need to save a buck but want a quality job.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

well im going to try it myself tomorrow but if all else fails pm or email me ur number and where ur at im in st.pete thnx troy
Old 06-03-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
well im going to try it myself tomorrow but if all else fails pm or email me ur number and where ur at im in st.pete thnx troy
Well good luck, just be sure to make sure everything is torqued properly, this is the most important element. I'm PM my info just for good measure.