DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-14-2013, 05:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:176
Clifford17 has a spectacular aura aboutClifford17 has a spectacular aura about

So I just left the dealership and it went pretty good I would say. I tool the service manager for a ride and duplicated the sound. He said it definitely isn't a normal click ad that he highly doubts its the muffler causing the issue. We arranged an appointment for next week and he said their gunna take care of it... Fingers crossed...
Sponsored links
Old 06-14-2013, 05:17 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Rep:176
Clifford17 has a spectacular aura aboutClifford17 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammedifiknow View Post
sorry bud, hope this helps. take off your exhaust. especially the y-pipe. the y-pipe is a mistake unless you have a better flowing manifold/header... just tellin' ya. I know guys are all about the y-pipe, but it does more harm than good; unless your running headers.
oh, and the dealership you are taking your truck to? what a bunch of *******s! way to keep customers DODGE!
Just curious on your reasoning on the y pipe...
Old 06-14-2013, 06:11 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Hemi express quad
Trim Level: ST express
Color: Grey
Rep:195
RAM EM has a spectacular aura aboutRAM EM has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford17 View Post
Just curious on your reasoning on the y pipe...
This is one of the reasons I haven't messed with my y pipe. My exhaust shop said he wouldn't do it because he's done it in the past and had guys come back pissed at him because their dealer voided their warranty. I know other will argue this, I'm just saying this is what I was told.

-DS Trinity- Hemifever tuned - 18" Magnaflow - BT catch can - 180 Tstat - 22" SRT10's - 305/45 Nitto 420 - SG 2/4 drop - blacked out heads/tinted tails - dechromed/debadged - 20% tint-
Old 06-14-2013, 06:26 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Hemi Regular Cab
Trim Level: ST
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:277
GrayhemiST is a jewel in the roughGrayhemiST is a jewel in the roughGrayhemiST is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM EM View Post
This is one of the reasons I haven't messed with my y pipe. My exhaust shop said he wouldn't do it because he's done it in the past and had guys come back pissed at him because their dealer voided their warranty. I know other will argue this, I'm just saying this is what I was told.
Yup....was going to do this as well......F that now! If its not broke....you know the rest.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:02 AM

Vehicle: 2012 ram
Rep:117
Red-Stripe will become famous soon enoughRed-Stripe will become famous soon enough

considering you're going thru a quart of oil a week, I think they are going to find something ugly inside the engine.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:28 PM

GrayhemiST is a jewel in the roughGrayhemiST is a jewel in the roughGrayhemiST is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Stripe View Post
considering you're going thru a quart of oil a week, I think they are going to find something ugly inside the engine.
Got the same feeling as well.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: Bright White
Rep:10
ciRe is on a distinguished road

Good luck Clifford. Hopefully they take care of all the problems.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:04 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Express 3.6/8 speed auto
Trim Level: Express
Color: WHITE
Rep:902
oldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to behold

I think the factory y-pipe is like it is because of the MDS system. Think about it, when the engine goes into 4 cyl mode, it becomes a 172.5c.i. engine. You need the smaller I.D. squished pipes to match the lessened exhaust flow to keep exhaust velocity up. This is done strictly for MPG with the MDS.
Now if you've turned off the MDS with a tuner, whole different ballgame. Now you need engine to breath better. Headers into hi-flo cats, into hi-flo performance exhaust, but it still needs to be sized right for the RPM/HP/torque range engine will operate in. It all has to match or it will not run as it should.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhp View Post
I think the factory y-pipe is like it is because of the MDS system. Think about it, when the engine goes into 4 cyl mode, it becomes a 172.5c.i. engine. You need the smaller I.D. squished pipes to match the lessened exhaust flow to keep exhaust velocity up. This is done strictly for MPG with the MDS.
Now if you've turned off the MDS with a tuner, whole different ballgame. Now you need engine to breath better. Headers into hi-flo cats, into hi-flo performance exhaust, but it still needs to be sized right for the RPM/HP/torque range engine will operate in. It all has to match or it will not run as it should.
Great point HP.....and setting everything up performance perfect is riding a fine line....Cliff thought he had done this, and look what he's going through. I believe it depends on the motor that comes with your vehicle...some are assembled better (a Wednesday or Thursday build), which will accept a tune and bolt ons easier....then you have the Monday/Friday build...a complete dog, and no matter what you do, it runs poor. I guess it's a chance you take for performance....if I want a rocket, I'll get a Challenger or 5.0 Stang. Just my 2 cents...Happy Father's Day to everyone!
Old 06-16-2013, 07:19 PM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayhemiST View Post
Great point HP.....and setting everything up performance perfect is riding a fine line....Cliff thought he had done this, and look what he's going through. I believe it depends on the motor that comes with your vehicle...some are assembled better (a Wednesday or Thursday build), which will accept a tune and bolt ons easier....then you have the Monday/Friday build...a complete dog, and no matter what you do, it runs poor. I guess it's a chance you take for performance....if I want a rocket, I'll get a Challenger or 5.0 Stang. Just my 2 cents...Happy Father's Day to everyone!
Agree here again 100%