DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-19-2013, 11:55 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:15
1BAD2012RT is on a distinguished road

I know im late to key in but my dealer told me when I bought the truck that as long as it was after the cats it wouldn't bother the warranty.
Sponsored links
Old 06-19-2013, 06:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:42
Piston Slap is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
Can't believe I'm saying this again. It truly pains me. But are any of you regular cab (Mexican-built) guys having these problems?
No problems as of yet.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:32 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: 15 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Blue Streak Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1195
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Ok, I have to step in here. Sorry I did not see this thread sooner.

I had my '11 in for this exact issue. My service manager and I thought it was the torque converter. However, after not one, or two, but 3 converters, the noise was still there (there were other things that led them to replace it 3x too).

The day I went to get my truck, my service manager and I spent 4 hours driving 6 other Ram's, 3 new and 3 used and ALL of them...EVERY one, made the noise. Sounds kind of like a playing card stuck in a bicycle wheel right? just not as loud? and only on coasting or under VERY light throttle application. Turn off MDS with tow/haul or by selecting a gear on the trans manually and it goes away.

Come to find out, it is the injectors of the cylinders that are not receiving fuel in MDS mode. It took my dealer techs 3 days of diagnostics with computers and equipment to narrow it down. They even placed my ram on a dyno at a shop down the street so they could drive it with the computers hooked up to get readouts. The results are conclusive, there is absolutely nothing wrong with your truck, other than its making the noise...

2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 Crew in Blue Streak Metallic Pearlcoat-Mopar spray-in Liner, 20% tint.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 183k miles and counting...

Old 06-20-2013, 05:28 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Express 3.6/8 speed auto
Trim Level: Express
Color: WHITE
Rep:902
oldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to behold

How are they not receiving fuel? I thought they just didn't open and spray fuel, as the fuel rail is fully pressurized all the time. Doesn't the ECU just not power the fuel injectors when in MDS mode? Am I missing something here?
How would you know?
Old 06-20-2013, 07:40 PM

Vehicle: 2012 ram
Rep:117
Red-Stripe will become famous soon enoughRed-Stripe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyofOne View Post
Ok, I have to step in here. Sorry I did not see this thread sooner.

I had my '11 in for this exact issue. My service manager and I thought it was the torque converter. However, after not one, or two, but 3 converters, the noise was still there (there were other things that led them to replace it 3x too).

The day I went to get my truck, my service manager and I spent 4 hours driving 6 other Ram's, 3 new and 3 used and ALL of them...EVERY one, made the noise. Sounds kind of like a playing card stuck in a bicycle wheel right? just not as loud? and only on coasting or under VERY light throttle application. Turn off MDS with tow/haul or by selecting a gear on the trans manually and it goes away.

Come to find out, it is the injectors of the cylinders that are not receiving fuel in MDS mode. It took my dealer techs 3 days of diagnostics with computers and equipment to narrow it down. They even placed my ram on a dyno at a shop down the street so they could drive it with the computers hooked up to get readouts. The results are conclusive, there is absolutely nothing wrong with your truck, other than its making the noise...
You would have to ignore the most obvious and damaging symptom: being that of burning a quart of oil burning to dismiss such a serious engine problem that he has. For an injector to make noise, it would need some form of energy to make that noise., either miss-happen electrical signals or faulty pressure regulation. Either way, a proper deactivated fuel injector should be silent.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:22 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Hemi Regular Cab
Trim Level: ST
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:277
GrayhemiST is a jewel in the roughGrayhemiST is a jewel in the roughGrayhemiST is a jewel in the rough

Can it get anymore complicated?
Old 06-21-2013, 01:48 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White/silver
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
Rope2fast is on a distinguished road

I don't know about Canada, but in the states we have a thing called a "lemon law". Some states are different on how the law reads, but I had dodge/Chrysler buy my 1st 2012 Cummings back from me. They don't want the bad press. Look up your lemon laws and put pressure on the dealership.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:38 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rope2fast View Post
I don't know about Canada, but in the states we have a thing called a "lemon law". Some states are different on how the law reads, but I had dodge/Chrysler buy my 1st 2012 Cummings back from me. They don't want the bad press. Look up your lemon laws and put pressure on the dealership.

Unfortunately here in Canada we only have the BS law, so no go for us.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:45 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram CC 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black (PX8)
Rep:388
ONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayhemiST View Post
Can it GET anymore complicated?
No Chandler, it can't
Old 06-21-2013, 02:14 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram HEMI
Rep:36
MEZERR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody79 View Post
I had the same thing until recently. I have been to the dealer for the same amount of time as you, 2 years. I was told it was normal too. I am not going to settle for an embarrassing noise from a $30,000 truck. This last time to the dealer was finally a good one. What the tick is, is the retainers on the rocker shaft that bend. They take the valve covers off and there are 2 tabs on the retainers. They either bend them inward or outward, doesn't matter and that cures the tick. They are hitting with the pushrod rhythm.
Clifford. The above was posted in another thread. Maybe that helps.....