DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-21-2013, 11:04 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1189
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

guess i should read the entire thread lol missed the missing oil part

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Sponsored links
Old 06-22-2013, 03:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2015 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Granite
Rep:500
dodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of lightdodgeboy360 is a glorious beacon of light

What happen was the programmer he had put in a corrupt file in the ECM when he had all the misfire issues and the kept driving it on 6-7 cylinders and I'm assuming it washed out the ring and he did a compression test on it and some cylinders are lacking compression and this is the reason for the oil burning.. Now the only issue is trying to get the dealer to replace the motor or rebuild it.. And he can't exactly tell em there was a programmer on it
Old 06-23-2013, 02:26 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:636
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy360 View Post
What happen was the programmer he had put in a corrupt file in the ECM when he had all the misfire issues and the kept driving it on 6-7 cylinders and I'm assuming it washed out the ring and he did a compression test on it and some cylinders are lacking compression and this is the reason for the oil burning.. Now the only issue is trying to get the dealer to replace the motor or rebuild it.. And he can't exactly tell em there was a programmer on it
just not seeing this as a warranty thing. imo, op should be try to get tuner mfg to replace engine.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:09 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Hemi Regular Cab
Trim Level: ST
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:277
GrayhemiST is a jewel in the roughGrayhemiST is a jewel in the roughGrayhemiST is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
just not seeing this as a warranty thing. imo, op should be try to get tuner mfg to replace engine.
I agree.....if the tuner is the culprit of this problem (which Im totally convinced it is), then the company should pony up and replace his motor. This is why I wouldn't tune.....yes, it does give the hemi the kick it lacks from the factory, but....then you have situations like this, where glitches in the programs from the factory cause catastrophic problems. IMO, its not worth the risk for 30 HP and 28LBS of torque......in a pickup truck. Get a SRT 8 charger or challenger if you got the need for speed.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Rep:10
legman is on a distinguished road

Read very carefully each manufacturer warranty policy. It clearly states their liabilities.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:14 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Bright White-W7
Rep:139
Hemi N Haw will become famous soon enoughHemi N Haw will become famous soon enough
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy360 View Post
Hey Dodgeboy. Not in complete disagreement here but questioning your theory.
I too feel the tuner f'd the ecu & gave him the majority of the issues. However & I may be wrong cause A- I'm new to dodge, the hemi & ram trucks as far as ownership & knowledge. My only prior experience was w/ friends who replaced transmissions sometimes more than twice on theses trucks. Not the 2009-2012 gens but before them a lot. I fancy my self as a semi skilled mechanic home grown of sorts & all my introduction to tools & machines is courtesy of my father who was a mechanic for over 45 years. That all said these hemi's are not dry sump motors & nor do they have electronic oil pumps. The m.d.s system is computer controlled on the ignition / fuel & air side but the oil pump is old school mechanical like most any other motor. So that said I can't figure out how a ring could go dry. In four or eight cylinder mode the oil pump is functioning same same. Please explain to me I'm not being a wise ass & I too feel the tuner let him down. But w/ modern vehicles it's the only way to mod & enjoy theses toys....
Old 06-23-2013, 11:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 sport quad
Color: deep cherry red
Rep:-11
pdrules can only hope to improve

that tuner thing is bad news....I replaced chips in both a snowmobile and a wheeler same deal.. screwing with the air/fuel timing..etc it makes a difference in the short term but it will burn down way sooner than if u left it stock...now this is your truck..that is nasty to think about playing with $30k or more truck and expect dodge to warranty that..u screwed with it...should be out of pocket u took the chance.....turner threads about knock..helloo timing issues your gonna crack a ring all in all its bad news!!to me its not a dodge issue..why should they warranty something that was messed with?

Last edited by pdrules; 06-23-2013 at 11:58 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:39 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Hemi Regular Cab
Trim Level: ST
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:277
GrayhemiST is a jewel in the roughGrayhemiST is a jewel in the roughGrayhemiST is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrules View Post
that tuner thing is bad news....I replaced chips in both a snowmobile and a wheeler same deal.. screwing with the air/fuel timing..etc it makes a difference in the short term but it will burn down way sooner than if u left it stock...now this is your truck..that is nasty to think about playing with $30k or more truck and expect dodge to warranty that..u screwed with it...should be out of pocket u took the chance.....turner threads about knock..helloo timing issues your gonna crack a ring all in all its bad news!!to me its not a dodge issue..why should they warranty something that was messed with?
Exactly.....its a truck.....not a hi performance race machine.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:33 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Bright White-W7
Rep:139
Hemi N Haw will become famous soon enoughHemi N Haw will become famous soon enough
Cool

In the defense of cliff N all the boys n girls on here that like to mod their trucks. Get over it already w/ the "it's your fault you shouldn't touch your truck leave things alone nonsense"! Yea they're expensive & yea it's a truck not a track car. But lets analyze the whole modern truck concept here. All not just dodge are guilty of sucking up to performance hungry individuals that yearn for something more, an edge over their neighbor or friend if you will. So it's human nature to modify & tinker to gain some kind of advantage in the whole truck / car game. I see how you could say it was the tuner & rams not responsible for damages incurred after the truck was toyed w/. I agree. But in the big picture if what people say is true about modifying vehicles such as our trucks then they shouldn't offer any of the following: No raptors w/ 400 plus hp, No ram runner kits for extreme off road use, No chevy SS models that beg to spin the tire & be launched down a track. No rumble bee's, No SRT versions 10 or 8 cylinder. No typhoons & no lightenings. All trucks as per those complaining about modifications should come standard w/ an inline 6cylinder for higher torque & be available in diesel or gas. No hemi's no ford 6.2 liter's & no GM 6.0 liters. Only dull boring in line 6 cylinder engines w/ high torque numbers & the occasional 4.7 or a similar small 8 cylinder that can't be tuned or touched. No lifts, no lowering & no added trailering aids like air bags just incase you put 3lbs over the limit on the truck & chrysler refuses a warranty claim. Why not just take the whole performance market & toss it into the crapper!.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:37 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Express 3.6/8 speed auto
Trim Level: Express
Color: WHITE
Rep:902
oldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to behold

It boils down to money. "If" the dealer does it, lift, lower, bigger tires, different exhaust, different gears, factory hi-po tuner or whatever, its OK. "If" you do same thing and something goes sour, "they" can start denying warranty. I lowered the back of my truck with springs/shocks. So NO warranty if a shock starts leaking or spring sags. "If" they wanted to be #@$%%&^'s and I had a bushing go bad in a track bar, "they" could refuse to fix because its not factory ride height and "I" caused it. All depends on dealer, what mod, and most important, how much $$$$$$$$.