DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-10-2013, 07:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Tradesman 4x2
Trim Level: Tradesman
Color: Blue
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:10
Clarkh2ny is on a distinguished road
Default Oil Filter Change on 3.6 Penstar

My mechanic charged me extra to Change oil filter. Is this difficult to do?
Sponsored links
Old 06-10-2013, 08:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 2WD Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT w/Big Horn EQ GP
Color: True Blue Pearl
Rep:119
plumcrazy73 will become famous soon enoughplumcrazy73 will become famous soon enough

did he tell you why?
Old 06-10-2013, 08:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
20hemi10 is on a distinguished road

No its not difficult to change, it's a cartridge paper filter on top of the engine. Takes like 30 seconds to change.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QCab
Trim Level: SLT - 8spd 3.55 20"
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic Clear
Rep:368
arietem is just really nicearietem is just really nicearietem is just really nicearietem is just really nice

I'll make some contributions to this type of thread ASAP .. as I plan to do the oil changes myself .. still figuring out what oil to use.
Costco has Castrol Syntec - 100% will look into this .. will also use a filter for synthetic oil .. want to keep my costs down .. I figure I can do a full change + filter + 100 syn oil for well under 50$ - this included local taxes .. I'll pop the hood over the next couple of days and check things out .. I'll be hitting the 3000km mark and want to do the first change.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Tradesman QC 4x2
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:30
marvin02 is on a distinguished road

The oil filter is pretty simple to change. A short 24 MM or 15/16 six point socket recommended.

It is a tight fit to remove the filter once it is loosened.

The center stub/post you see in the attached photos is flexible and has to be bent slightly forward to get the filter on and off.

The old filter will come out with the filter cap. It will snap out of the cap when pulled and the new filter will snap in. You can both hear and feel the filter popping into place. Make sure that you use the new o-ring provided with the filter and lubricate the o-ring before installation.

When tightening watch the flange on the filter cap and just snug it until the flange touches the metal housing. The o-ring does the sealing and there is no reason to over tighten the cap. Be sure that the flange for the oil filter cap is touching the metal for the housing, you should not be able to see the o-ring when you are finished tightening the cap.

The new filter in the picture below is a WIX 57526.

You will not need to add any oil after changing the filter. So, for those using longer drain intervals a filter change at the halfway point is a breeze.

You may have been charged extra for the filter. It was $14.99 and the local auto parts shop. I have three chains close by and only O'Reilly's had it in stock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Filter001.jpg (51.7 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg Filter001a.jpg (47.4 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg Filter001b.jpg (77.5 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg Filter001c.jpg (50.5 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg Filter001d.jpg (128.2 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg Filter002.jpg (55.6 KB, 185 views)
Old 08-19-2013, 08:30 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 3.6l 8 speed
Trim Level: Tradesman
Color: Silver
rizzkid12 is on a distinguished road

One other tip. I mark the filter plastic oil filter cover housing and engine so I can screw on the filter to the same location. I did this with my chevy for years and never had a leak or broke the plastic oil filter cover. The other option is to use a torque wrench, but it is a tight fit. The torque spec is engraved right on the cap

Anyone figure out how to remove the large plastic engine cover to get better filter access?
Old 08-19-2013, 09:07 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Tradesman QC 4x2
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:30
marvin02 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzkid12 View Post

Anyone figure out how to remove the large plastic engine cover to get better filter access?
I gingerly tugged on the cover and it seems very solid. It really isn't that hard to remove the filter and cap. A shop rag laid under the path you are extracting the filter will prevent the few drops of oil from making a mess.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:15 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram RT
Trim Level: RT
Color: Steel Blue Metallic
Rep:136
ValleyRacer will become famous soon enoughValleyRacer will become famous soon enough
Default Castrol is perfectly good oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by arietem View Post
I'll make some contributions to this type of thread ASAP .. as I plan to do the oil changes myself .. still figuring out what oil to use.
Costco has Castrol Syntec - 100% will look into this .. will also use a filter for synthetic oil .. want to keep my costs down .. I figure I can do a full change + filter + 100 syn oil for well under 50$ - this included local taxes .. I'll pop the hood over the next couple of days and check things out .. I'll be hitting the 3000km mark and want to do the first change.

Kostkoe has traditionally carried Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec (for synthetics) since those large manufacturers can supply in bulk.
Castrol syntec is perfectly good oil.

Truth is, any current major brand synthetic motor oil is perfectly good. So you can get your 600 roll paper towel supply and motor oil with one visit to Kostkoe
Old 08-20-2013, 05:18 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram RT
Trim Level: RT
Color: Steel Blue Metallic
Rep:136
ValleyRacer will become famous soon enoughValleyRacer will become famous soon enough
Default An excellent photo spread

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin02 View Post
The oil filter is pretty simple to change. A short 24 MM or 15/16 six point socket recommended.

The center stub/post you see in the attached photos is flexible and has to be bent slightly forward to get the filter on and off.

The old filter will come out with the filter cap. It will snap out of the cap when pulled and the new filter will snap in. You can both hear and feel the filter popping into place. Make sure that you use the new o-ring provided with the filter and lubricate the o-ring before installation.

When tightening watch the flange on the filter cap and just snug it until the flange touches the metal housing. The o-ring does the sealing and there is no reason to over tighten the cap. Be sure that the flange for the oil filter cap is touching the metal for the housing, you should not be able to see the o-ring when you are finished tightening the cap.

You will not need to add any oil after changing the filter. So, for those using longer drain intervals a filter change at the halfway point is a breeze.

You may have been charged extra for the filter. It was $14.99 and the local auto parts shop. I have three chains close by and only O'Reilly's had it in stock.
Very fine photos and a great explanation too. Have you found a synthetic media filter for this application.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QCab
Trim Level: SLT - 8spd 3.55 20"
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic Clear
Rep:368
arietem is just really nicearietem is just really nicearietem is just really nicearietem is just really nice
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin02 View Post

Hi, great write up and pics .. going to do my own change .. as the 1st change at the costed more than I expected .. question .. the Oring .. it is the ring for the cap ? it is the seal between the plastic cap and the filter housing ?