DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion


Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.


Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-12-2013, 11:36 AM
QuickSilv3r QuickSilv3r is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: State of Denial
Posts: 60
Gender: Male
Vehicle: Soon? '14 Ram 1500 ED
Rep Power: 0
Rep:13
QuickSilv3r is on a distinguished road
Default Chrysler could take a lesson from GM on releasing new models

Not sure if the mods will move this one, but it's very relevant to 2013-2014 discussions...
GM announced the 2014 redesign of their pickups around the start of the year, I believe at the NYIAS. They haven't released much information, just some teasers, definitely no commercials. Magazines & media are just starting to get them to test.
GM made no announcements on release date, which had the media/analysts speculating on whether the trucks would hit this summer or this fall due to the abundance of on hand inventory of 2013 models.

And without fanfare, GM essentially just soft launched the vehicle; 2014 Silverados are appearing on dealer lots. And GM went with the most popular/highest selling/highest margin models for initial production, the crew cab and reg cab half ton, 2&4wd, stripper or loaded cowboy cadillac.

The biggest frustration is the 2014 GM trucks are more of a redesign from a body structure standpoint than the the 2013 rams were (new cab/doors, frame? etc). Yes the 8spd, longer frame half tons and air suspension were the big mechanical component changes for Rams, but the rest was a facelift for the exterior and interior...

I am holding out hope that Chrysler can get it together for the 2014 model run and I can purchase the truck I want in the fall... if not, I'll be looking over to GM and take a hit on the interior quality and features to get a truck that will be what I want, when I want it, without issue...
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2  
Old 06-12-2013, 12:53 PM
gman1946 gman1946 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 33
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1995 Cummins
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Green
Engine: 1994-1995 359ci (5.9L) Cummins 12-valve Diesel I6 175hp 420lb/ft(manual), 160hp 400lb/ft(auto)
Rep Power: 0
Rep:11
gman1946 is on a distinguished road
Default

I agree that Ram could have done a better job matching their production capability to their marketing. But the GM trucks are having the same issues;
only the crew cabs are available now, the rest are "coming soon". Even then I see nothing new that inspires me. I ordered my Ram on April 10 and expect it at the dealership in a few days. I got exactly what I wanted. One of the keys is to find a dealer who knows what they are doing in regards to options and availability. Many only want to sell off the lot.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-12-2013, 02:52 PM
rkuhl84's Avatar
rkuhl84 rkuhl84 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 221
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Sport QC
Rep Power: 2
Rep:88
rkuhl84 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilv3r View Post

The biggest frustration is the 2014 GM trucks are more of a redesign from a body structure standpoint than the the 2013 rams were (new cab/doors, frame? etc). Yes the 8spd, longer frame half tons and air suspension were the big mechanical component changes for Rams, but the rest was a facelift for the exterior and interior...

I am holding out hope that Chrysler can get it together for the 2014 model run and I can purchase the truck I want in the fall... if not, I'll be looking over to GM and take a hit on the interior quality and features to get a truck that will be what I want, when I want it, without issue...
Chrysler did a complete redesign of the Ram 1500 in 2009 whereas the last GM "redesign" was 2007 and it wasn't exactly drastic, especially on the interior. The 2013 Ram is more of a mid-cycle refresh than a total redesign.

I don't really like the looks of the 2014 Silverado or Sierra. Way too square and blocky. The Sierra isn't quite as bad but not great. I haven't been in a 2014 GM but the Ram looks to still be ahead in the interior department.



That front end is just way too big.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-12-2013, 04:50 PM
plumcrazy73's Avatar
plumcrazy73 plumcrazy73 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Fort Benning Ga Area
Posts: 573
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 2WD Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT w/Big Horn EQ GP
Color: True Blue Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep Power: 5
Rep:119
plumcrazy73 will become famous soon enoughplumcrazy73 will become famous soon enough
Default

GM did a refresh , sorry it don't look that much different. And at the end of the day it is still a GM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-12-2013, 05:01 PM
rango88's Avatar
rango88 rango88 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Age: 25
Posts: 327
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:18
rango88 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilv3r View Post
Not sure if the mods will move this one, but it's very relevant to 2013-2014 discussions...
GM announced the 2014 redesign of their pickups around the start of the year, I believe at the NYIAS. They haven't released much information, just some teasers, definitely no commercials. Magazines & media are just starting to get them to test.
GM made no announcements on release date, which had the media/analysts speculating on whether the trucks would hit this summer or this fall due to the abundance of on hand inventory of 2013 models.

And without fanfare, GM essentially just soft launched the vehicle; 2014 Silverados are appearing on dealer lots. And GM went with the most popular/highest selling/highest margin models for initial production, the crew cab and reg cab half ton, 2&4wd, stripper or loaded cowboy cadillac.

The biggest frustration is the 2014 GM trucks are more of a redesign from a body structure standpoint than the the 2013 rams were (new cab/doors, frame? etc). Yes the 8spd, longer frame half tons and air suspension were the big mechanical component changes for Rams, but the rest was a facelift for the exterior and interior...

I am holding out hope that Chrysler can get it together for the 2014 model run and I can purchase the truck I want in the fall... if not, I'll be looking over to GM and take a hit on the interior quality and features to get a truck that will be what I want, when I want it, without issue...

Dodge might seem dated compared to the GM because it is. The last Gen Silverado came out in 07 so it was in need of a complete overall. The current Ram an F150 came out in 09 so a refresh is the norm at this stage. The new F150 is already in the tested stages and is expected to come out sometime in 2015 (Truck Trend). I imagine Ram will completely refresh the Ram around the same time. By then I hope that

-the 6.4L Hemi will be available across the board to compete with the 6.2L of Ford and GM,
-the diesel and 3.6L will have their few bugs worked out and
-8 spd will be standard

but this is all speculation. Give it time, although Ram's update seem minimal, but with the:

air suspension
Grill Louvers
New interior
new Front end and rear end
Ram Box available on every configuration
3.6L
8 spd
larger touch screen

The Ram still comes off as being a new truck to me.

I admire what GM did with the new silverado and Sierra and the new 4.3L is should be a monster with torque it has but I still believe the F150, Ram and GM are equal with their own strengths.

Toyota and nissan should worry. Even with the new tundra (its just cosmetic changes) and old titan the japaneese trucks have dated powertrain and are in need of a huge overhaul.
__________________
Andy ***Cannot see all Pics and Videos***
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-12-2013, 06:14 PM
ejb426 ejb426 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Indianapolis
Age: 27
Posts: 305
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 CC 5' 7" bed
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Copperhead Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:20
ejb426 is on a distinguished road
Default

I bet when they start driving down the road, you will not be able to tell the '14s apart from the 07-13s. The interior is close to the same as previous and the IP cluster was taken from an F-150 of the 08-current models. The 5.3 generates a "massive" 355 HP and 383 FT LBS/Trq. No floor shifter (even though Ram has almost totally bypassed that), just the same old oversized lever that was on previous models. The only thing that RAM could learn from GM is how to build the SAME truck and call it new, charge the same money for it, AND not build what consumers want. If that is the lesson to be learned then pardon me while I call in sick that day!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Butter's Avatar
Butter Butter is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Louisiana
Age: 41
Posts: 841
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 4x4 RC/SB
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 4
Rep:387
Butter is just really niceButter is just really niceButter is just really niceButter is just really nice
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumcrazy73 View Post
GM did a refresh , sorry it don't look that much different.
I agree, the changes from 13 Silverado and 14 Silverado aren't that big of a deal....They made it worst IMO.
__________________
2010 Ram 1500 reg cab swb 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, 3:92 gears, Flowmaster 40 true duals, 2.5 leveling kit, Bridgestone Dueler 275/55/20 on KMC Skitch Wheels, DeeZee steps, BakFlip G2 tonneau cover, Weathertech Digital fit floor mats
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-12-2013, 07:39 PM
shawnu's Avatar
shawnu shawnu is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: FT G
Age: 23
Posts: 1,199
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 3
Rep:512
shawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of light
Default

I don't think it looks THAT bad... but I agree its a refresh just like the ram.
__________________
12 RCSB Express- 5%Tint, Gatorhyde spray-in, Black OEM Tips, Plasti Dip badges and Interior, CBE muffler, Kenwood DDX370, Ks3.5s, Pioneer 6x9s, Sundown SA8v2, Kicker ZX750.1,BT 964SP, Smoked Tails, 'Dipped 22" Boss 329 on Falken 305/40s, and some LEDs...

RIP- 06 Ram NightRunner QC
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-12-2013, 11:10 PM
guru1ofatl's Avatar
guru1ofatl guru1ofatl is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 61
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:22
guru1ofatl is on a distinguished road
Default

FUGLY in my opinion. Each (Ford and GM) have features that I might like but the current Ram was a better all around fit for me. To each his own.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-12-2013, 11:41 PM
huntergreen huntergreen is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: nj
Posts: 5,611
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 7
Rep:621
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all
Default

hmm i always liked the gmc look. just so happens i like doge/ram better. unless fiat screws up my stellar experience with these trucks i have no reason to look at other brands.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Advertisement






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:26 AM.


= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


=Gigathreads Network=
CLUBS MOPAR NATION DSM GPMM MAMM JAM
DIESEL Diesel Forum      
CHEVY Chevy Camaro Forum Chevy Volt Forum    
CHRYSLER Chrysler 300C Forum      
DODGE Dodge Avenger Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum
  Dodge Circuit Forum Dodge Hornet Forum Dodge Magnum Forum Dodge Nitro Forum
  Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Dakota Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Dart Forum
FORD Ford Raptor Forum Ford F150 Forum Ford F100 Forum  
JEEP Jeep Forum      
PONTIAC Pontiac G8 Forum      
SRT SRT Viper Forum SRT Cuda Forum