DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Heating & Cooling 4th Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-28-2014, 01:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 RAM 1500ST
Trim Level: ST
Color: Blue
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
skopp1971 is on a distinguished road
Default heat/ac blend actuator clicking noise

I have replaced this twice. The factory one was stripped out. The first replacement one lasted around two weeks. The second lasted a day. When I went to check the gears on the last actuator motor everything appeared fine. I then checked the first one that I thought was bad and the gears were fine in that one too.

Put it back in and it would skip gears trying to push the door past it's limit.
It would do this on start up and after shutting the truck off.

The only way I was able to get it to function was to manually put the blend door to the floor, then install the actuator, with truck runnning and control to the floor. When I did this it would move through all options. When I would turn the truck off it would start making the clicking (gear jumping noise).

Seems like the issue is elsewhere than the actual actuator. I have read about flashing and reprogramming.....could that be the issue?

Also this was in for the original recall of the reprogramming in 2009.

Any ideas before I take it to the shop?
Sponsored links
Old 12-30-2014, 04:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Update-truck is in the shop now. They are telling me it needs a recalibration and a new actuator. This is exactly what the old recall was for. That recall had been done to my truck before so now the dealer wants to charge me. I told him to look it up and check. I am picking it up tonight and will likely need to call Chrysler myself for reimbursement. Not sure why the dealer couldn't do that but they will be losing all future business from me.
I will post an update later.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:59 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Sport Crew
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
wakepics is on a distinguished road

Any update on this? My truck is doing the same thing right now. I had one actuator with stripped gears. I replaced it and everything was good for a couple of months, then it started popping more than before, trying to go past the stops like you mentioned yours did. Now both actuators under the radio are popping, and my blower controls won't work for the first 2-5 minutes after starting the truck. I have tried a bunch of different things but can't seem to get things working as they should, so I'm thinking it must be something to do with the reprogramming/calibration. Ideally I'd like to avoid the dealer but realize it might be inevitable at this point.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I eneded up trading that ram in. I had to ake it to the dealer, they installed the actuator, reflashed the head unit and all seemed good. They would not honor the recall so I had to contact Chrysler. They were initially going to deny it but then honored my claim. By that time it was too late and I had had enough and went to GM for a truck. Until Chrysler fixes the actuator problems this will continue to be an issue. All of the actuators are the same cheap plastic gear driven motor. A big black eye for them in my book. I know that Ill never buy another. Good luck cause that problem sucks.