DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > Exhaust

Notices

Exhaust 5.7 HEMI Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-14-2013, 09:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sports
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
mrgarfiield is on a distinguished road
Default Resonators Exhaust Question

Hey guys I was just wondering if it was worth the shot to cut my exhausts right before the resonators and running just a pipe to the tips from there, basically removing the resonators completely?

will it drone at highway speeds? A buddy of mine did it in his lancer and he gets a small drone but nothing to bad, but I do a 4 hour drive every second weekend, so I wouldn't want a big drone for 4 hours lol

And will it affect the engine? or even make that much of a change on the sound?

Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 06-14-2013, 09:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

I've posted the information below on these boards.

I'm sure it will help in your decision --

The purpose of a resonator [a hollowed out chamber] in the path of an exhaust system is to dampen the noise from the engine that ultimately makes its way thru the exhaust [sound], without robbing the vehicle of power.

Certain sound frequencies - though that should not - do make their way thru the muffler. These frequencies can create drone and general annoyance for the cabin occupants. This is where the resonator comes into effect.... or is supposed to. It's the last line of defense to grab those frequencies and eliminate them prior to the final exit at the pipes [i.e.: what you hear]

All things equal, a resonators distance from the exhaust's muffler is more vital than the actual resonator itself [size, shape, etc.]. It's usually placed by vehicle manufacturers a certain distance from the muffler to best affect its use based on the vehicle/engine combination.

Removing resonators can be a risky thing as these annoying sounds and drones can ultimately make their way to your hearing. More often than not, removing the OEM resonators [without removing anything else] may induce drone that was not there prior. So yes, it's a gamble.

However, if a high quality aftermarket exhaust system [pipes and muffler combo] comes without resonators, or calls for resonators being deleted, and then nine times out of ten drone is NOT an issue. This is because these aftermarket exhaust manufacturers have extensively tested these units prior to making them available to the consumer to rid them of any drone or "resonating" sounds that will disturb the cabin occupants.

My Magnaflow 16869 catback exhaust with the Magnaflow 10778 Y-pipe is an excellent example. Absolutely no drone anytime.

Just to add finally, I highly do NOT recommend removing resonators for those people who choose to do ONLY a muffler change/upgrade. This is because - contrary to what people will tell you - OEM piping, mufflers and resonators work in conjunction with each other to rid the cabin of drone and any other annoying sounds. Eliminating the resonators from an OEM exhaust system, with JUST a muffler upgrade, will almost ALWAYS induce unwanted exhaust drone.

Hope this helped some.

Good luck ultimately in your decision.

Grub out!
Old 06-17-2013, 06:39 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport CC 4x4
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:74
hemipowerv8 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubrunner View Post
The purpose of a resonator [a hollowed out chamber] in the path of an exhaust system is to dampen the noise from the engine that ultimately makes its way thru the exhaust [sound], without robbing the vehicle of power.

Certain sound frequencies - though that should not - do make their way thru the muffler. These frequencies can create drone and general annoyance for the cabin occupants. This is where the resonator comes into effect.... or is supposed to. It's the last line of defense to grab those frequencies and eliminate them prior to the final exit at the pipes [i.e.: what you hear]

All things equal, a resonators distance from the exhaust's muffler is more vital than the actual resonator itself [size, shape, etc.]. It's usually placed by vehicle manufacturers a certain distance from the muffler to best affect its use based on the vehicle/engine combination.

Removing resonators can be a risky thing as these annoying sounds and drones can ultimately make their way to your hearing. More often than not, removing the OEM resonators [without removing anything else] may induce drone that was not there prior. So yes, it's a gamble.

However, if a high quality aftermarket exhaust system [pipes and muffler combo] comes without resonators, or calls for resonators being deleted, and then nine times out of ten drone is NOT an issue. This is because these aftermarket exhaust manufacturers have extensively tested these units prior to making them available to the consumer to rid them of any drone or "resonating" sounds that will disturb the cabin occupants.

My Magnaflow 16869 catback exhaust with the Magnaflow 10778 Y-pipe is an excellent example. Absolutely no drone anytime.

Just to add finally, I highly do NOT recommend removing resonators for those people who choose to do ONLY a muffler change/upgrade. This is because - contrary to what people will tell you - OEM piping, mufflers and resonators work in conjunction with each other to rid the cabin of drone and any other annoying sounds. Eliminating the resonators from an OEM exhaust system, with JUST a muffler upgrade, will almost ALWAYS induce unwanted exhaust drone.

Ok I am all set to cut mine out...have 5" tips and reducers on the way and will have to remove resonators to work...

My thinking is, if the pipe and muffler prior to the resonators are changed (and so distance from muffler to resonator as well usually) then much of what the resonator was originally designed to do it would no longer be able to. Since the tone/sound/volume of the exhaust is now changed...as well as muffler placement, maybe Y pipe or pipe before muffler diameter (in my case) then the frequencies that the resonator is there to block out may no longer be present...?

I am not at all sure but this is where my line of thinking took me...I am hoping all I get it a BIT more volume and depth with larger pipe behind my 18" mag and the larger tips...if it drones just a little no big deal...it won't be NEARLY as bad as my car (SRT Challenger with no cats, headers and FM Super 10s - that would drive me nuts if I drove it daily lol)
Mods: Tint, Line-X spray in, PD emblems, Weathertech mats, Honeycomb grille, Mopar tow hooks, Magnaflow 18" and Y, Bilstein 5100s @ 2.1" & TGC rear spacer .75", Toyo All terrains 35x12.50x20, 5" black tips, BakFlip tonneau cover, 87mm tb
Next: Gorilla lifetime lug nuts, CAI, Diablo tune.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 ram
Trim Level: big horn
Color: mineral grey
Rep:26
ninja99 is on a distinguished road

I would do the muffler swap and try it for a week. then if it isn't the right sound do the resonators. I too have a 08 challenger and replaced the mufflers and removed the resonators. it is a lot louder now with some drone. I don't mind the drone but some people hate it. maybe 2 steps would be the way to go.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:21 PM

Ok I didn't HAVE to cut the resonators out...but I did anyway and happy with it. There is a BIT more interior resonance but WAY less than my Challenger...it's LOUD and interior rattles and is super drone around 2100-2300 RPM (luckily with 6 speed thats like 90-95 mph so not typical driving speed on the highway).

Ok so here is what we did:
Current setup is cut off behind cat, 2.5" pipe back to Magnaflow Y pipe into the Magnaflow 18" muffler...stock pipes out the back...today we cut it off mid spare, then step it up to 2.5" pipe back to the reducer and MBPR 5" black tips. Looks great. Deeper sounding...has better note separation also...there IS about 10% more interior resonance but I would expect that with the extra 20% exterior sound...I drove about 200 miles today making ~ 1000 miles since I installed the Magnaflow muffler so it seems like it is now broken in also. Satisfied with the sound and selling the 14" I was going to swap to...
Mods: Tint, Line-X spray in, PD emblems, Weathertech mats, Honeycomb grille, Mopar tow hooks, Magnaflow 18" and Y, Bilstein 5100s @ 2.1" & TGC rear spacer .75", Toyo All terrains 35x12.50x20, 5" black tips, BakFlip tonneau cover, 87mm tb
Old 06-18-2013, 07:58 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipowerv8 View Post
My thinking is, if the pipe and muffler prior to the resonators are changed (and so distance from muffler to resonator as well usually) then much of what the resonator was originally designed to do it would no longer be able to. Since the tone/sound/volume of the exhaust is now changed...as well as muffler placement, maybe Y pipe or pipe before muffler diameter (in my case) then the frequencies that the resonator is there to block out may no longer be present...?

Correct..... to some degree.

An OEM resonator is designed to couple in nicely with the OEM exhaust. It actually supplements the OEM exhaust optimally to rid any drone.

However, once the OEM exhaust's parts and paths are altered prior to the resonator, then that very resonator becomes near useless.... for the most part. This is one of the very reasons OEM resonators are often scrapped when an AM exhaust muffler and/or catback is installed. Because they can do more harm [creating unwanted drone and whatnot] than actual good.

Let me finally add that this is an extremely subjective matter. As I've pointed out in the past, exhaust tones are - more often than not - interpreted differently from one person to another. This is because, even though a sound frequency resonates at a given [definitive] frequency, we hear and identify that frequency differently from person to person. No two persons hear a given frequency identically or even hear the same output [SPL] identically.

Speak with a sound engineer and he'll whistle a similar tune.

What exemplifies this the best is what sounds loud, tingy and obnoxious to one person, is music to the next person's ears. I'm sure you've encountered it before.....

Good luck ultimately in the path your choose.

Grub out!
Old 06-18-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubrunner View Post
Correct..... to some degree.

An OEM resonator is designed to couple in nicely with the OEM exhaust. It actually supplements the OEM exhaust optimally to rid any drone.

However, once the OEM exhaust's parts and paths are altered prior to the resonator, then that very resonator becomes near useless.... for the most part. This is one of the very reasons OEM resonators are often scrapped when an AM exhaust muffler and/or catback is installed. Because they can do more harm [creating unwanted drone and whatnot] than actual good.
Yes the exhaust guy said he doubted it was doing much of anything and he was right...it's a LITTLE louder and a LITTLE deeper with a LITTLE more drone...not bad at all.