DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-14-2013, 12:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 QC 4x4 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:49
Tcon is on a distinguished road

I too wouldn't pay a dime more than what I agreed to. My dealer said if there were better financing rates or additional incentives i'd get those as well as the other incentives we previously agreed to. They held up to their end and I in fact renegotiated the original price cause I felt they incorrectly stated the monthly payment. After the price adjustments and additional incentives my monthly fee dropped by $45. Keep in mind, you don't NEED a fancy new truck, but they need your business. You can always walk away and buy elsewhere, its your money.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:50 AM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM CC 4X4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Blue
Rep:10
Tom-G is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeman View Post
My dealer (he's actually the finance guy at my dealership) told me the day I ordered that my price could only get better with the exception of the trade in incentive that could not be locked in. I still have that but yet it seems my price got worse. These people never answer emails so I guess I just have to pop in on him and make him explain everything to me.
A few things to keep in mind. First, some dealers like to focus on the monthly payment amount as they can better hid the financial details of the deal. In your case I believe you have a trade with an outstanding loan balance. The key is to get a copy of the order document you signed. Get it as soon as you can so that you can analyze it before the day you take delivery.

On the order doc, there may be some fine print indicating that on special orders the price is subject to adjustment pending final pricing from the factory. My dealer was up front about this and indicated they usually see a couple of price increase during a model year.

On a trade deal the key numbers are:
1. The amount charged for the new vehicle
2. The amount the dealer is giving you for your trade in.
3. The amount still owed on your trade in to pay off its loan. Get this directly from your bank. They can provide the loan pay off amount and will give it to you in writing. If you get this directly the dealer can't pad the number.
4. The amount of factory incentives that apply. You can call the Chrysler Incentive Center, give them your zip code, and the exact model of Ram. They will tell you exactly what is currently available.
5. Any cash amount you are paying.

Using all of the above info you can determine your exact out of pocket cost of the vehicle, and your loan amount. Add sales tax, registration fee, and whatever the dealer charges for its documentation/ processing fee (if any).

On the Internet there are several loan calculators. You can plug in your own numbers (loan amount, interest rate, number of months). You will get a monthly payment amount that should be within $1 - $2 per month of what the dealer calculates. The variance is due to anomalies in some web based calculators, and the number of days until your first payment is due (to cover the loan interest accrued from signing until 1st payment date).

Another item you can ask for a copy of the POC (priced order confirmation). The dealer can print it from the Ram ordering system. It will show the ordered options, MSRP, dealer invoice, and dealer holdback. Some dealers may say no, others may be upfront and give you a copy.

When you take delivery, carefully review all documents. The financials should match or be very close to your own calculations. Make sure they do not try to slip in anything you don't want like rust proofing, extended warranty, paint protectant, etc. These are all high profit items that may get thrown at you at the last moment (or bundled in without your knowledge). Of course if you want any of those it should be based on a negotiated price for each item.

Sorry for the long post, I just started typing and didn't realize it was so long. Hope this helps. All disclaimers apply as your situation may vary. Good luck!

Last edited by Tom-G; 06-14-2013 at 01:25 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:44 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Prairie Pearl
Rep:20
joelweb is on a distinguished road

How do you order a vehicle without a signed purchase agreement and an agreed upon price? I'm sorry, but it sounds like you are partially at fault here...
Old 06-14-2013, 11:14 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport 1500 True Blue
Rep:91
nikeman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelweb View Post
How do you order a vehicle without a signed purchase agreement and an agreed upon price? I'm sorry, but it sounds like you are partially at fault here...
I did sign a purchase agreement but I failed to get a copy before I left. That was the agreed upon price. My truck had equity the day I ordered so the outstanding balance will be paid off and the rest will go toward my new truck down payment. I have made 3 payments since ordering which increased my equity quite a bit, I assume close to $1000, which should have decreased my payments at the end. The only thing that could have happened is that they added that extra $300 to my price and maybe didn't include taxes and what not at first. I do not remember exactly which is why I need to get that purchase agreement and look over the numbers. I know I screwed up by not taking that with me.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:19
ShaneDiddy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelweb View Post
I ordered on without any pre-agreed upon price as well, as I get the friends and family pricing anyway. I also didn't have to put any deposit. However I also am not obligated to buy anything after it gets here if it isnt as I like it.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:25 PM

I just sent a very lengthy email to my dealer and the finance guy. I have confirmed that he added that $300 to my price and did not mention it at all. I do not like the sneakiness and made sure they are aware of how annoyed I am about it. I did all the math in the email and showed them what price I should be at and that I signed for. Its almost like he spit in my face and stole $300 from me. He must thing in a complete idiot and can't do math! I'm anxiously waiting on a reply but I doubt it will be today since they never check there damn email. I will keep you updated.

Last edited by nikeman; 06-14-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:08 PM

Ok. He called me back kinda upset as if I offended him or something. He said that he did make a mistake when he gave me the number but that it would all be correct when I come in to pick up the truck. He said I was price protected and that he wouldn't slip in the $300 like that. Maybe it was an accident and I did offend him. It wasn't my intention but if I didn't speak up it may have been my mistake in the long run. Anyway, I feel better and am ready for my truck! I'm sure none cares but me but I'm updating you all anyway. Lol
Old 06-14-2013, 03:20 PM

Vehicle: 2013 ram sport 1500
Color: White
Rep:29
Jake95 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeman View Post
Ok. He called me back kinda upset as if I offended him or something. He said that he did make a mistake when he gave me the number but that it would all be correct when I come in to pick up the truck. He said I was price protected and that he wouldn't slip in the $300 like that. Maybe it was an accident and I did offend him. It wasn't my intention but if I didn't speak up it may have been my mistake in the long run. Anyway, I feel better and am ready for my truck! I'm sure none cares but me but I'm updating you all anyway. Lol
Who cares if you did offend him...it's all an act...I always try to be very polite as I was taught....but when they try to scam you, which 85% do try, then the gloves come off
Old 06-14-2013, 03:22 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie 8spd
Color: White/Silver
Rep:45
kuhl80 is on a distinguished road

78 months, ugh that's a kick in the berries...
Old 06-14-2013, 03:25 PM

Vehicle: 2013 ram sport 1500
Color: White
Rep:29
Jake95 is on a distinguished road

Nikeman, as a rule of thumb.....never ever negotiate monthly payments, it it the price of the vehicle only you should be negotiating..it is one of the biggest scam in the car business...I know how bad you want a truck but if you can't get the out the door price to match your monthly payments, you might want to think about walking.. Sorry for the fatherly advice, probably not my place but my gramps was a salesman and warned me of this practice growing up....he alway said you will pay for it in the end...