DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-20-2013, 11:10 AM
Banned

Vehicle: 95
Trim Level: Cloaking
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1776
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by weswisehart View Post
I have a 96 Dodge ram 1500 5.9 4x4 automatic. I recently swapped in a new transmission and now the truck won't start. I get 50 psi at fuel rail and spark to the plugs. I'm getting good compression as Well. When I pull the fuel rail to watch the injectors the spray fine but only long enough to get spark then they shut off. I've replaced the rotor cap the pick up, plugs , wires, rotor button, tps, crank position sensor, and the valve on the rear of the throttle body. I'm at a loss. Thanks for any info.
^Lets start with this aaaaall over again and try to keep focused.^

I'd try the coil at this point. See if someone can test it in your area. If not see if you can find a donor vehicle that you know runs and swap it out just to see.

I'm just wondering how you tested the timing and found it spot on if there's no spark. Not questioning you just trying to make sense of this thread and get back on track.
Sponsored links
Old 06-20-2013, 11:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2664
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine had a '97 Dodge truck, his computer took a dump on him
The bad thing was that he had a STICK SHIFT & a rebuilt computer was not available
Only computers for automatics could be found

He was stubborn & did NOT want to go to the dealership to get the ORIGINAL computer checked out
Now he is driving a Toyota
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 06-20-2013, 11:28 AM
Banned

Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
A friend of mine had a '97 Dodge truck, his computer took a dump on him
The bad thing was that he had a STICK SHIFT & a rebuilt computer was not available
Only computers for automatics could be found

He was stubborn & did NOT want to go to the dealership to get the ORIGINAL computer checked out
Now he is driving a Toyota
I have a spare ECM for mine and mine is a . The only difference that I've found is the shift light on the dash goes on/off at an automatic's factory shift points. If he can live with that...
Old 06-20-2013, 11:50 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2664
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly he sold the '97 for $200, after messing with it for 2 months
it had a 318 in it, 500,000 miles on the original engine & it still ran strong, just would not start & if it did, he never knew when it would shut down on him & he would have to get towed home

I mentioned that he could easily get rid of the computer completely, just go with a carburetor set up
It was already legally smog exempt, so that was no issue
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 06-20-2013, 07:36 PM

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:85
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

Go back and make sure the distributor cap is seated properly. Also, did you remove the distributor? Maybe back in 180 degrees out. Reason I say is, the computer looks for a signal from the distributor pick-up. If it does not see that signal, it kills the power to the coil, which also kills the fuel pump. This involves the ASD (auto shutdown relay). If the distributor is good, and the pick-up plug is fully seated at the plug of the harness (you did remember to plug it in, right?), then you're probably looking at a faulty ASD or PCM.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 dodge ram
Color: blue
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
weswisehart is on a distinguished road

I replaced the crank position sensor and It's the same. I've looked all the wiring over and over Also had another guy in the shop look over everything and everything seems good. I the I'll try replacing the purge valve on the rear of the throttle body. I replaced it but with a used part. Not sure what else to do
Old 06-21-2013, 05:49 PM
Banned

I've never had a vehicle not start because of the IAC, it just runs like crap.

Not to revisit the fuel issue but have you tried starting fluid?

You're implying that it isn't getting spark, is that correct?

Let's try this directly.

1. Is it getting spark, and spark while cranking?

2. It it getting fuel, and have you tried starting fluid?

Last edited by Warlock III; 06-21-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

O ha ha my bad. Yea I replaced the crank position sensor and that didn't help.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:59 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen1dak View Post
Go back and make sure the distributor cap is seated properly. Also, did you remove the distributor? Maybe back in 180 degrees out. Reason I say is, the computer looks for a signal from the distributor pick-up. If it does not see that signal, it kills the power to the coil, which also kills the fuel pump. This involves the ASD (auto shutdown relay). If the distributor is good, and the pick-up plug is fully seated at the plug of the harness (you did remember to plug it in, right?), then you're probably looking at a faulty ASD or PCM.
It is seated correctly I've put three different caps on changed the wires twice and the plugs. I just keep thinking I have bought faulty items so I replace things I've replaced to be sure. I don't believe It's 180 out. One side has a square while the other has a circle so the cap only goes on one way. Also the cap has the number one on it Which sits the way the diagrams show. Is it possible replacing the transmission a jarred something loose?
Old 06-23-2013, 12:21 PM
Banned

Have you checked to see that you are getting spark into and out of the dist?

I'm really trying to go through this step by step and you keep jumping around.