DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-23-2013, 04:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:85
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by weswisehart View Post
It is seated correctly I've put three different caps on changed the wires twice and the plugs. I just keep thinking I have bought faulty items so I replace things I've replaced to be sure. I don't believe It's 180 out. One side has a square while the other has a circle so the cap only goes on one way. Also the cap has the number one on it Which sits the way the diagrams show. Is it possible replacing the transmission a jarred something loose?
The cap can be on and the distributor can still be 180 out. It could be something else, but "believing" it's not 180 out and confirming are two different things. If you have removed the distributor at all, it is possible the distributor shaft could've turned some, and by the time it was re-inserted, the shaft has turned 180 degrees, so now the rotor is on the opposite side of where it should be in relation to the timing events. Everything will look perfectly normal from the outside. Again, as you said, the cap only goes on one way, as does the rotor, but the shaft fits a slot. It's either in, or 180 out. Just try this. Take the cap off, loosen the distributor hold down, lift the distributor (about 1/2 inch) enough the get the shaft out of the drive slot. The rotor will spin freely. Rotate it 180 degrees and re-seat it. Snug the hold down bolt (for a good ground-yes, it's necessary), then put the cap back on and just see it it changes anything. It's a 15 minute deal. If no changes, it's easy enough to change back.
Sponsored links
Old 07-01-2013, 03:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 dodge ram
Color: blue
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
weswisehart is on a distinguished road

I have not removed the distributor at all only the cap. This problem started after replacing my transmission. I'm not sure if I hit something or if a wire was pinched or what but I've looked over this thing several times and see no bad wires. I only replaced the cap because the motor was really close to the firewall at one point during the install of the tranny and I'm unsure if it ever hit causing any damage.