DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 4th Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-14-2013, 01:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Express
Rep:10
jcbabb is on a distinguished road
Default Electric Power Steering Failure

My 2013 Ram QC has experienced a power steering failure. It started out as intermittent, but it is now permanent. I have an appt to take it to the dealer on Tuesday, but I thought I'd see if anyone else had experienced similar troubles?
Sponsored links
Old 06-14-2013, 01:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Just last week a member posted about theirs going bad

please post & let us know how it goes with the dealership handling it
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 06-14-2013, 02:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 RCSB EXPRESS
Trim Level: EXPRESS
Color: WHITE
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:16
Lebrun186 is on a distinguished road

i believe they had a recall on them catching fire. nothing wrong with mine yet.... let us know the results
Old 12-10-2013, 12:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Rep:61
bostonchase92 will become famous soon enough
Default Electronic Power Steering Failure

I have a 2013 ram 1500 express with 10k miles and had a 4" BDS suspension lift installed 6k miles ago and just last friday my power steering failed on me. It first felt like I had two flat front tires and now I have no power steering. The tow truck is coming tomorrow and getting dropped off at the dealership.. Seems like this problem is starting to arise with the 2013s. I'm curious what happened with jcbabb.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I'm replying to my comment from a few days ago... After 3 days of being at the dealership they cannot figure out why my electronic steering is unreliable so they are replacing the whole steering module and the steering rack. It's all under warranty and won't cost a dime, and the BDS lift kit had nothing to do with it. They said this has been happening to a few 2013 Rams 1500's.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the heads up, keep us posted on how things are going once you get your truck back, reps to you for this info.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

This is my update. The dealership installed new steering rack and told me I voided my bumper to bumper warranty because of the 4" BDS lift and it would cost $2,000 for labor and the new rack. However, I got together with my after market dealer who lifted my truck, and they had a 45 minute call explaining the Magnuson Moss Warrenty Act to the dodge dealerships GM (who claims he's never heard of it before) and explained how impossible it is for a BDS lift to affect electronic power steering, and it's illegal to void my warranty with a lift kit unless proven that was the problem. Then a few minutes after, the dodge dealerships GM called me apologizing for the miss information and said everything is covered under warranty.
I picked up my truck at the dealership and nothing was charged. Only problem I had was bringing my truck to a garage that deals with lift kits so they could professionally align my truck because of the BDS lift.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport Crew
Color: True Blue Pearl
Rep:1101
LowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud of

In other words, they tried their luck on you and you schooled them on the power of the information age we live in. Well done!
Old 03-13-2014, 09:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 dodge ram 1500
Color: black
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:10
ram troubles is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

We are also having similar problems with our power steering. Unfortunately ours occurred a few hours after my husband had driven the truck down a trail to do some fishing. The dealership is claiming that we are at fault, they are saying that the "lock clip" on the wiring harness plug was snapped off yet there is no other damage to the actual plug or wiring harness. The truck broke down in GA while my husband was on training and was at a dealership in columbus, GA for 4 weeks. The GA dealership couldn't figure out what was wrong with it other then clearly the wiring harness was too tight and the power steering module wasn't working. Eventually the dealership here KY/TN retrieved it and determined its a shorted out power steering gear and say they have to charge us $2100 to replace it. Chrysler care said they cant do anything to help us because it appears to be an issue of "water/flood damage". Also I was told my warranty has been voided due to the lift kit the the dealership put on it prior to selling it to us. Any input would be great, 6 weeks without our truck now and we are at a stand still. Geico investigated and says they can't cover this issue either because they feel it may have been an issue with the lift stretching the wiring harness too far which is also what the GA dealer stated and and what a dealership in MD has stated is a possibility but would need to see it first. Not sure whether to take a legal route or try to negotiate with the dealer, we have only 3300 miles on the vehicle and only a partial warranty now.