DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-25-2013, 01:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:514
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTRODHARLEY View Post
Coatings aren't worth 20HP... Yes they help with keeping the heat in somewhat. But lets face it. Once the primaries hit 1000 F coating or not it's hot hot hot under the hood. Hot lapping at the track is the inevitable... And after a few years of use silver ceramic coatings look like shit on a daily driver.

If you can afford it do it... If not it's not the end of the world... Stainless headers can take a beating
I didn't say that, I said a lack of coating and proper tuning LT's can leave 20HP on the table. Read it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRamHemi View Post

...and no a Bully Dog is not going to help you,
LT's should really be custom tuned to get the full HP/TQ benefits.

No Coating and no Tuning...you would have been better off with shorties
Why spend that kind of Ca$h on LT's only to piss away 20HP ???

My bud's Titanium Coated stainless steel JBA shorties before/after one Canadian Winter
(and the reason he's had his new ARH's Silver Ceramic Coated this time)
vs my Silver Ceramic Coated JBA shorties, that have been on even longer.

Before pic' May 2012

after, April 2013

mine still look new with Silver Ceramic Coating

just a little dirty/dusty , no rust I'll hit the car wash soon and try another pic
its harder to see when not shooting through the wheel well

a little dirty but no rust at all.

I can place my bare fingers within a half inch after hot lapping,
try that with stainless you will get burned.

To each his own, If you'd rather have $300 in your pocket
than protecting your investment, making it last longer while making it perform to it's maximum capabilities, have at her boys

Ask anyone who actually races their truck, it's worth every penny

Grant's (catsltd) ARH coated inside and out for $350 (in Canada) two years ago, and they still look new
...on his 13.5 second daily driver long-box Canadian "Work" truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsltd View Post
I keep hearing members talking about not needing to coat there headers.
Are you Kidding Me.

Uncoated LT headers along with secondarys will literally Bake your motor,and I mean Bake.
All your rubber hoses,wiring just about everything will be affected by the extra heat.
Im not talking 10 degress here,Im talking 30-40 degrees difference.
I used to run Uncoated LT Kooks headers on my 03 hemi,and if I sat at a light long enuff my engine would start to overheat.
Yes I was using a electric fan but as soon as I got them coated the electric fan didnt even come on anymore period.
Overheating alluminum heads with a cast iron block is just asking for trouble.

Now back to throwing away HP.
Scavenging of the exhaust gasses all has to do with speed,the slower the exhaust gasses flow the less scavenging of your exhaust.
So if you coat your headers and secondarys you will keep the heat on the inside of the exhaust, where its needed to keep the exhaust gasses flowing as fast as possible.
Pulling the spent exhaust gasses out of your motor is key.

Im not going to sit and argue with anyone about this,if you dont believe me,then prove to everyone im wrong.
If someone is really serious about getting uncoated headers,then do everyone a favor.

1.Do a before and after dyno pull so we can see how much HP your uncoated headers dont make compared to coated header dyno pulls.
Ill even throw in 50 bucks for the test,but it has to be a fair test,hood closed, air filter installed,anyone doing a dyno differently is not helping anyone with there results.

2.On a hot day in traffic or at the track put a thermometer under your hood and see what your cooking with those uncoated headers,compare it to a stock trucks exhaust and or coated headers,it will be at least 20 degrees hotter.

3.Show us your track times before and after,and let everyone come to there own conclusions.

We argued and still argue this in the 3g forum,the only reason people can come with with arguments is because its cheaper not to have them coated.

Not a vary compelling argument if you ask me.

I hope everyone does there homework before considering Not to coat them,theres thousands on articles about exhaust scavenging,and underhood temp effecting power,dont take my work for it.

I hope some of you guys reading this thread read these columns;
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...ting_test.html.

Just a couple more articles.read the first couple posts.
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/coat...ers-58400.html.
Same story.
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/ex...-uncoated.html.
Heres 1 more;
http://appliedplastic.com/BlackSatintest-1/.

If you find 1 single article on the net that says uncoated headers have a benfit let me know.
I coulnt.

Sorry if I'm running too long on explanations, even if I cant convince everyone,
if this makes at least one person think twice about coating their headers I've done my best to inform.

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 06-25-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 06-25-2013, 02:17 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

For those headers to rust like that I would think they are a lower grade stainless. I understand the weather and environment play a role but good quality stainless should not rust like that and not that fast. I believe the stock exhaust is 409 and it holds up pretty well. One property of 409 though is that it will form a layer of rust once combined with the exhaust gases, but this actually protects the pipe from corroding further. I wonder what grade JBA is using for their headers? The bad thing about 409 is it is not aesthetically pleasing. Those pictures do not look like 409 SS though, the rust looks too severe. They actually look like mild steel.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:49 PM

BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

JBA's are not really relevant to the discussion,
it was just a first hand example showing the integrity of a good Silver Ceramic coating.

but FYI:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad@JBAHEADERS View Post

We look forward to helping you with your issue and all JBA headers are built out of 16g 409SS with 3/8" flanges.

JBA has since offered to replace them under warranty and said the Titanium finish wasn't really designed for wet climates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad@JBAHEADERS View Post
If you have an issue call the warranty dept below and they can help you out. I have seen our Silver ceramic headers after many years and they look almost new. If you are in a DRY climate we recommend the Titanium ceramic coating but if you are in ANY area where you have moisture we ONLY recommend the silver ceramic as that is the most corrosive resistant coating on the market today.

Please call us if you have questions about JBA products like you would if you were buying a NEW truck.

Warranty dept -
Alex Conger - 909-599-5955 x 1401

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 06-25-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:24 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Crew Cab 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport Max
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:108
AlmostSleezy will become famous soon enoughAlmostSleezy will become famous soon enough

I'm not arguing that coating isnt worth it, but taking into consideration all the conditions.
1. Weather here isn't like up there, nothing harsh.
2. Pain in the butt to send my headers out ( nothing local )
3. I don't go to the track, casual stop light - freeway etc "races"
4. Probably won't keep the truck forever.

Longest its ever running is probably 2 1\2 hours..

All ordered from Bully's Performance.
Best 0-60mph in 5.61 seconds.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:43 PM

That's cool brother, I gave up trying to sell you on it. Your mind was clearly made up.
Just didn't want everyone reading to make the same decision without all the facts.

We're cool,
enjoy the ride man, life's too short to get pissy over the little things.

I just get passionate about performance because I live for it!
Spent well over $8k in the last month on Ram go-fast toys that haven't even been installed yet.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:57 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Crew Cab 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport Max
Color: Red
Rep:108
AlmostSleezy will become famous soon enoughAlmostSleezy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRamHemi View Post
That's cool brother, I gave up trying to sell you on it. Your mind was clearly made up.
Just didn't want everyone reading to make the same decision without all the facts.

We're cool,
enjoy the ride man, life's too short to get pissy over the little things.

I just get passionate about performance because I live for it!
Spent well over $8k in the last month on Ram go-fast toys that haven't even been installed yet.
I greatly appriciate you giving advice and helping, and glad there's people like you to take the time for that. And I definitely wasn't trying to sound standoffish earlier, just friendly talk
I will take your advice with the different tuner though!

All ordered from Bully's Performance.
Best 0-60mph in 5.61 seconds.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:04 PM

I ran 3 different tuners on mine, Bully Dog, Superchips and Diablo.

Just trying to save peeps making the same costly mistakes by making a direct path to the ultimate goal.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:23 AM

Vehicle: 07 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: st
Color: silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:68
moparmike07 will become famous soon enough

Go with diablo!!!!!

2007 dodge ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 5 percent tint all around 35 percent windshield, ported tb, diablo sport, arh headers, magnaflow dual exhaust, magnaflow y pipe, krc210x cam,nitrous,CNC ported head. 4.56 motive
Old 07-01-2013, 12:42 PM

Vehicle: 2012 dodge Ram Bighorn
Trim Level: big horn 4x4
Color: white
Rep:10
whiteknight312 is on a distinguished road

You know Doug Thorley headers had issues on the coating also. I bet they rusted before they coated them. they should be keeping the metal oiled up until they weld them and then oil them again and bag them until they are going to be coated. I bet 100% that they sit on a shelf with humidity and then they go out to be coated and it does not "stick" to the rust! just a guess.....

Chris
Old 07-01-2013, 01:16 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram rt
Trim Level: rt
Color: brilliant black pearl
Rep:1061
dodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud of

i thought if you used the extensions then there was no problems with o2's brian has them on his 2012 and has no issues