DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-17-2013, 12:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: White 2013 QC 4x4 BigHorn
Trim Level: BigHorn
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:14
Irv is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjayf77 View Post
Anybody get the rust protection, undercoating spray or any other of the crap they offer from the dealership when you purchase your truck? are any of them worth it?
My dealer tried hard to sell me these but I outright refused on any of them.
I read an article yrs ago about these products and read where the dealers charge a 300% mark up on them.

I use Rust Check or Krown annually for a few years then usually end up skipping a year depending on the winter we've had and not once have I ever had any rust problems and most people who care, can't believe the year of my vehicles when I tell them.
(Just my opinion, nothing else)
Sponsored links
Old 06-17-2013, 01:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 DODGE RAM
Trim Level: SL
Color: TRUE BLUE
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:10
indamud is on a distinguished road

Vehicles these days last a very long time before giving you any major issues,in my experience anyways.So I never buy any extras from the dealer as most of them seems overpriced.I do get my vehicles rust protected at Krown but thats about it.If this truck is the same as my Dakota it should be good for 10years without any major problems.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:00 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Maximum Steel
Rep:39
tev9999 is on a distinguished road

Similar questions from me. I'm not interested in warranties, undercoating, or that kind of stuff, but accessories. I have not bought accessories for a truck in 20+ years, so I'm not familiar with current pricing and quality of dealer vs. after market. Lets assume I can get invoice pricing.

Bedliner - $404: I will probably go with a spray-on (if not factory on whatever I pick).

Running Boards - $446 (tubular) $510 (wheel-wheel). My limited searching seems to indicate I can get these for $250 or so and I also assume the install is pretty basic.

Tri-fold Tonneau Cover: $425. Not sure I need one, but if I do go for it I want lockable. My old Sonoma had the vinyl snap kind and it was a horrible pain to deal with. Also seems like an easy self install.

I am pre-approved at 1.74% to buy a truck through PenFed, possibly 0.74% if I end up with one of their car buying program dealers. Financially I'm better having the dealer tack anything onto the price and then throwing that cash at higher interest debt - as long as I am getting aftermarket pricing/quality from the dealer.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:43 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Hemi 8-speed
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Rep:883
RedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by indamud View Post
Vehicles these days last a very long time before giving you any major issues,in my experience anyways.So I never buy any extras from the dealer as most of them seems overpriced.I do get my vehicles rust protected at Krown but thats about it.If this truck is the same as my Dakota it should be good for 10years without any major problems.
Have you posted a pic of your truck yet? I'd like to see what the True Blue finish looks like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tev9999 View Post
Similar questions from me. I'm not interested in warranties, undercoating, or that kind of stuff, but accessories. I have not bought accessories for a truck in 20+ years, so I'm not familiar with current pricing and quality of dealer vs. after market. Lets assume I can get invoice pricing.

Bedliner - $404: I will probably go with a spray-on (if not factory on whatever I pick).

Running Boards - $446 (tubular) $510 (wheel-wheel). My limited searching seems to indicate I can get these for $250 or so and I also assume the install is pretty basic.

Tri-fold Tonneau Cover: $425. Not sure I need one, but if I do go for it I want lockable. My old Sonoma had the vinyl snap kind and it was a horrible pain to deal with. Also seems like an easy self install.

I am pre-approved at 1.74% to buy a truck through PenFed, possibly 0.74% if I end up with one of their car buying program dealers. Financially I'm better having the dealer tack anything onto the price and then throwing that cash at higher interest debt - as long as I am getting aftermarket pricing/quality from the dealer.
I'm like you in the sense that I have never really changed my vehicle from the way it arrived. Having said that, this truck I have opted to do a few small things like tonneau cover and lift gate assist.

If you are looking for some after market stuff then I would suggest giving the guys at Discount Auto Performance a shout. You can find them on this forum, and they have great products at great prices.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:50 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: CrewCab
Color: White
Rep:10
hemi808 is on a distinguished road
Default Nope

I didn't buy anything extra, the finance manager makes his money selling extras. If you read a lot of the extended warranties if you dont take the vehicle to the dealer to service it will void the warranty. The 100,000/5 year rust through is enough even living in Hawaii with all the salt. All new vehicles have galvanized steel so unless youre in an accident or penetrate the coating you should be good to go. When I lived in New Mexico all I did was pressure was the undercarriage every so often during the winter when they salt the roads. In the end it's a personal choice. You can also get cheaper extended bumper to bumper warranties through your auto insurance, mine is $16 extra every 6 months.