DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L (287 cu in) PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-16-2013, 02:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT Quad 4.7
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:14
Cowboy is on a distinguished road
Default Spark Plug Location

Ok, so this may be a stupid question, but where exactly are the plugs located on an '09 4.7? Quick look reveals plug wires going to a row of plugs residing just below the valve covers. Where is the 2nd row?
Old 06-17-2013, 12:01 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

You have individual coil packs. Look for the wires going to the coil packs. Under the coil packs, on either side of your intake, are the plugs.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:11 PM

Awesome! Thank you! Going to knock the plugs out. Then just need to work the tricks to knock out the rear plugs on the lower bank. Not going to spend $300 to have the dealership do 'em. Although it could save me some time and frustration...
Old 06-17-2013, 10:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:1900
gonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant future

it's not that hard. my ram was my first plug change ever, took 2 hours. remove the driver side wheel and inner fender, makes gettig to the plug by the booster easier

if it's the same for the 4.7, not sure. mines the hemi
JVC Arsenal KD, Bilstein 5100 adjustables [maxed], aFe Stage 2 Air Intake, Superchips 3865, Husky Floor Mats, Saddleman Camo Seat Covers, Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler SI/DO, 20 % Tint. 35x12.5x17 Federal Couragia M/T, 17x8.5 VTEC Warlord wheels, -12mm offest.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:33 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Hey there. Your engine has an upper and lower bank of plugs(16 plugs total, 2 per cylinder). The upper bank is located directly under the coil packs(no plug wires). The lower bank is located in a more "typical" location, near the exhaust manifold, and have short plug wires coming from the same coil packs. So each cylinder has one coil, and 2 plugs. The upper bank are supposed to be changed every ~50k miles, the lower bank every ~100k miles. Both should be replaced with the EXACT same plugs as oem(and they are different for upper and lower banks). Part numbers are in the manual. Using other plugs can cause big issues. I know one other guy using other than oem plugs on this engine and we spent A LOT of time figuring out the best plug for his situation(he's heavily modified....spraying nitrous).

I just did my upper bank plugs at ~70k miles. Honestly they weren't in that bad of shape. Most of the boots under the coils ripped in half. What a PITA. But after figuring out how to proceed it was fairly easy. I ended up replacing every coil(you can't buy the boots separately) and I kept the original coils as extras. I bought them from autozone for ~$20/ea which is pretty cheap. I think the dealer wanted closer to $30/ea which is still pretty cheap.

They rip because there wasn't enough dielectric grease and the rubber fused to the plugs. I spent about 3 hours on the first plug trying to get the boot off. I finally found another guy online that had the same problem and used his solution. I took a piece of copper tube(plumbing) about 8" long, I think 3/8" might be 1/2" though. It will fit between the plugs and boot(after it's ripped in half) and separate the rubber boot from the plug. Then you can easily remove the boot, then the plug.

I put a SH*T ton of grease on the new ones, and intent to regrease them once a year, so they don't tear next time.

Any questions PM me. Also, I wouldn't do them all at once, do them in sequence. The bolts for the coils are also the bolts for the intake manifold, so removing them all at once leaves the manifold loose.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:34 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

gonefishin, FYI, your hemi also has 16 spark plugs. If you only change 8 you have 8 more to do!

Old 06-18-2013, 10:22 PM

thanks for the heads up snrusnak. i've heard about the boots ripping. that's probably my biggest hesitation. at that point it'd only save a little more cash doing it myself than taking it to the dealership. is it really that common for the boots to rip? guess i better make sure autozone has the boots in stock. doh!
Old 06-18-2013, 10:28 PM

They don't sell the boots separate, you have to buy the entire coil.

How many miles are on the truck? I'd still do them yourself, that way you know how and can grease them every so often so you don't rip them next time(they will still charge you for the coils if they rip them, FYI).