DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Accessories - Dodge Ram Parts - Dodge Ram Performance - Registered Vendors! > VARARAM - Dodge Ram Performance!

Notices

VARARAM - Dodge Ram Performance! Vararam Industries was created to bring true racing technology to the street, the most efficient air induction systems on earth. Our air induction systems produce more Power and Torque, offering you more real world performance than any of the other intake system out there, We've been tested to be the best, compared to the rest and each time VR comes out on top. - Dodge Ram Performance!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-14-2013, 06:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:35
Zixxer is on a distinguished road
Default Vavaram Air Grabber 2013 Ram 1500 Filter Concerns

I posted a review on some mods that I performed recently (under the 2013 Ram group) and one of them was the Air Grabber. I certainly like the style and the possibility of improved performance.

After about a 500+ miles I pulling the filter assembly to clean everything and check my catch can. I found a lot grit or fine sand and I thought maybe I had not secured the lid snug enough or it wasn't seated correctly. I noted there is really no sealing material on the top lid and you rely on the rubber double lip to seal to the hard plastic top.

In any event, I waited a few weeks and pulled the lid today only to discover the same thing. I think that's way too much dirt/girt to be getting past the filter setup. I only do highway miles and the truck has never seen off road, gravel, etc. You'll even see where a bug is stuck between the seal lips on top...tells me there's clearly a gap.

So I've added weather stripping to the top lid, cleaned everything up and will see if that fixes it. If not, I think there's a real problem with the sealing on these systems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AirGrabBug.jpg (121.6 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg AirGrabDirt.jpg (122.4 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg AirGrabDirt2.jpg (122.3 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg AirGrabWeatherStrip.jpg (119.9 KB, 103 views)

Last edited by Zixxer; 04-14-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 04-17-2013, 12:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:41
Vararam Industries is on a distinguished road

Call us at 832-701-7700 and our tech will help you -ask for Patrick -he will help you !
Thanks
Steve
Vararam
Old 04-17-2013, 08:01 PM

Steve,

Thanks, I'm working 0600 to 1900 right now so this will have to wait until the weekend. You won't hurt my feelings if you want to post suggestions or whatever Patrick may offer in the form of fixes, corrections, etc. I'm pretty confident I've got this things snugged down correctly but I'm open to any tips, etc. Thanks Rick
Old 04-24-2013, 11:32 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport CC 4x4
Color: Red
Rep:74
hemipowerv8 will become famous soon enough

What was the outcome of this?? Fixed up and doing ok?
I am looking to pickup the Vararam soon for the power gains...
Mods: Tint, Line-X spray in, PD emblems, Weathertech mats, Honeycomb grille, Mopar tow hooks, Magnaflow 18" and Y, Bilstein 5100s @ 2.1" & TGC rear spacer .75", Toyo All terrains 35x12.50x20, 5" black tips, BakFlip tonneau cover, 87mm tb
Next: Gorilla lifetime lug nuts, CAI, Diablo tune.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:18 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 ram 1500 Quad Cab 2wd
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:10
billhere is on a distinguished road

Yes, what was the outcome of this problem... Did your weather stripping mod on the lid assy work out for you...
Old 05-03-2013, 11:40 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport CC 4x4
Color: Red
Rep:74
hemipowerv8 will become famous soon enough

Also seems to be an issue with the 2013s with 8 speed and active grille shutters...
Vararam are you working on this? I'd like to get one ASAP once these things are addressed...
I have a Sport 8 speed (with active grille shutters) but do NOT have the sport hood...
Mods: Tint, Line-X spray in, PD emblems, Weathertech mats, Honeycomb grille, Mopar tow hooks, Magnaflow 18" and Y, Bilstein 5100s @ 2.1" & TGC rear spacer .75", Toyo All terrains 35x12.50x20, 5" black tips, BakFlip tonneau cover, 87mm tb
Next: Gorilla lifetime lug nuts, CAI, Diablo tune.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Color: Silver
Rep:41
Vararam Industries is on a distinguished road
Default Video on Air Grabber filter

Here is a video that shows the proper way for correctly installing the
filter on the 4G Vararam Air Grabber

Old 06-22-2013, 01:06 PM

The weather stripping did not work. I'm out of space to post pictures but after 1,000 miles...it's awful lot of dirt. I'm pulling it and putting back on the stock setup. Nothing is worse on the engine for wear than dirt...not worth the risk.

I do think the concept is spot on, but the design is flawed...too many issues about sealed against the hood...now my hood liner looks worn as well.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 ram 1500 Quad Cab 2wd
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:10
billhere is on a distinguished road

Zixxer:
You are so correct on dirt being bad... So far my filter is staying put, with minimal pressure from the seal from the hood... I'm thinking that to much pressure, trying to get the hood to seal to the base was warping the base allowing the filter to not stay in place... It will bend the outer parameter of the base downward allowing the filter to slip out of the base... There is no amount of pressure applied from the hood that will allow this design to seal against the hood.... Period... I'm guessing (imho) that it is not important to most folks for this CAI to seal against their hoods, but I do not want to be sucking all this hot under hood heat into unit... So I'm still trying to make this work as Vararam advertises, but no love yet... Patrick has ordered some kind of special seal for me to try and make something special (not Vararam 4G Air Grabber stock) so it can seal against a bone stock Mopar hood and truck... Still waiting on Vararam to get me something to mod a stock setup and make it work as they have advertised... I'm guessing that these units are in need of a complete re-design to work with the Gen4 trucks...