DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Notices

Off Topic Discussion Anything goes in here! Well, almost!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-19-2013, 11:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2004 Ram 2500 Hemi QC
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:41
msorbara10 is on a distinguished road
Default What is everyone using for an impact wrench?

looking to buy an impact wrench. Reason being is that whenever I am doing maintenance or some mods, I always find myself wishing I had an impact gun right now.

I want something that can take the lugs off my tires with ease. Or take the bolts off my echaust clamps that were a little rusty ( like this weekend when I was working on my exhaust and had a whole workout getting the clamps off)

My question is, what have you guys been using and what would you recommend?

I want something under $200.

Is air better then a cordless or a cord drill?

What drive should i get? 1/2 or 3/4?

Made in the USA would be a plus but I know thats hard to find now a days

here are a couple I was looking at

http://www.amazon.com/AIRCAT-1150-Ki...I1BAHQV0NDQRW7

http://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Pneuma...I1B8SZ7AEGJPY1

Also any suggestions on compressors I should look into?

Thanks all!!
Sponsored links
Old 06-19-2013, 11:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

I use this, and love it, have had all sorts of air guns, but 90% of the time I use this

I can pull off all 4 summers wheels, install 4 winters with the same battery on both my truck and the wife's car with no issues and still have battery to spare, I tighten them up a bit then finish with my Torque wrench. Use it for anything that would need a torque Gun, anything else I do by hand.

Dewalt 18V XRP Torque Wrench,

It gives around 300 ft-lb of torque, which is more than ample for most applications and I have to be careful on wheels as I only need 108ft-lb there, if I need something bigger then I go air. For most applications this is perfect, and no air hose.

Last edited by Asur; 06-19-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:18 PM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

^^^ I have the same one. Love it

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!
Old 06-19-2013, 11:24 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Checkout my thread below --

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread....cordless+drill

By far-n-away the best impact driver and drill I've owned!

Grub out!
Old 06-19-2013, 11:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

If i did not have all 3 types, air, electric, battery powered

don't get air powered if you don't have a 60 gallon air compressor

i would definitely consider
Ingersoll-Rand 1/2'' 625 ft-lb 10,000 RPM Thunder Gun Impact Wrench, air power
Ingersoll-Rand 1/2'' 19.2V Cordless Square Drive Impact Wrench

Milwaukee tools are good too
Milwaukee 1/2 in. Sq. Drive Impact Wrench with Rocker Switch and Friction Ring Socket Retention corded
Model # 9071-20
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 06-19-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:15 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Laramie QC
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Brillant Black Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:25
32seventeen is on a distinguished road

I have a Blue Point 1/2" air with a 60 gallan compressor. I got the impact wrench used from a buddy for cheap. I use it a ton, it always seem to come in handy.
I had a chinese cheapo 1/2, it often did not have the power I needed. I gave it away after buying the Blue Point.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:53 PM
Help cure Paulzheimer's

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Cloaking
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1749
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

I have an Ingersoll Rand 19.2 v like this one:

It was around $500 when I bought it with the battery and charger. It's got some really nice features for a piece of crap. The battery went dead after about 8 months. After a year of dealing with the company and it sitting in a drawer in my tool-box, they finally reached the conclusion that the serial number on the battery was included in a batch of defects, and sent me a new one. I didn't buy a replacement because I didn't want to spend the $260 on a battery after 8 months of very gentle usage.

Anyway, they sent me the replacement battery. I used it for almost another 9 months and the same thing. I thought Lithium Ion batterys were supposed to be pretty good.

After I got the second battery I started to notice some play in the bearing up at the nose of the gun, and since it spent more time in the tool box than on the floor or in my hand I didn't know what to do. Contacted IR. They said that it was past the warranty and I tried to explain I used it about as much as a birthday candle, the original battery had died and they could verify that...etc. Had to start lubricating the nose bearing every time I used it. THAT battery died shortly thereafter.

When it was working EVERYTHING had to be broken by hand and finished with the gun.

Do Not Buy An IR Cordless.

On the otherhand. My IR 231 is 20 years old and can stop and reverse the new Snap-On MG725 at full trigger, head to head.

Except that the IR now has the 231A, b etc... which don't even compare to a 20yo gun and still going strong.

The Cordless is still sitting in my tool box with the charger and crap battery if anyone want's to buy a new battery for it. I'm not spending any more money on this POS and it can just continue as a door stop.

DISCLAIMER
If you are offended easily don't click on my screen name

Last edited by Warlock III; 06-20-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I also like Milwaukee & Makita Tools, both stand behind their brands & almost every hardware store has them
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 06-20-2013, 06:06 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
I also like Milwaukee & Makita Tools, both stand behind their brands & almost every hardware store has them
Except Lowe's.

Milwaukee pulled the plug on Lowe's when Lowe's went to be with DeWALT.

Grub out!
Old 06-20-2013, 08:48 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: SLT Lonestar Edition
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:257
HemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to HemiLonestar Send a message via MSN to HemiLonestar Send a message via Yahoo to HemiLonestar

Craftsman 19.2v, as long as it has a good battery works on everything. I also happen to have a bunch of other 19.2v tools for the set.

"Big Red"
2003 Ram 1500 QC Hemi Lonestar Edition (Mods list in profile)
2006 Charger R/T
Sarcasm - it beats killing people