DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-21-2015, 03:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 ram sport 4x4
Trim Level: sport
Color: black
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
fleetmanlv is on a distinguished road
Default homelink garage door opener concern...

hey guys, well i just programmed my door opener and it works very well. maybe to well. i understand the convenience is nice, maybe too nice for some less than trust worthy people to open my garage door when im not home. It appears as long as the "door is open" anyone can just hit the home link button and open my door. Wouldn't it be better if this homelink button circuit was on a Run/start circuit?? is there a was to change it? I don't want to hear from you saying, "Well....thats why you lock your door" or "Dont crack your windows while your truck is outside" please keep those comments to yourselves. Thanks.
Sponsored links
Old 02-21-2015, 05:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 2500 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2013-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 370hp 800lb/ft (6-Speed Automatic)
Rep:72
RayK will become famous soon enough

Since my truck sits outside, I didn't program it to open the garage door because of that issue.

Friend of mine had a HD that was stolen out of his garage. The thieves broke the window in his pickup and used the garage door opener to put the door up and wheel the bike out into a Ford Van. His dog heard to door going up and woke him up. He went down to investigate, but didn't open the service door into the garage. He called the police on his cell as they were wheeling the bike down the driveway. Police said it was good thing he didn't open the door as they probably had someone standing there waiting with a bat or gun.

I turn off my garage door and lock the service door when I hit the sack. Habit now.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:20 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2657
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Some things just need you to take extra precautions:

There are electronic devices now that read Credit/Debit cards that are in wallet & in your pocket if your cards have a Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) chip
There are special envelopes that you can keep your cards in that stop it from happening

If your laptop computer is connected by WiFi, someone can connect to the internet using your connection, if you don't have a password blocking their attempts

A person that really knows electronics can actually steal your signal, ( using what is called a Black Box ), from any remote device, as long as they are anywhere within your remotes transmitting distance & you are using your own device
That goes for your garage door or your vehicle's remotes
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 02-21-2015, 07:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 ram sport 4x4
Trim Level: sport
Color: black
fleetmanlv is on a distinguished road

yeah i understand its a risk, i just really wish this circuit would only work with the key on/run
Old 02-21-2015, 07:37 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2657
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

You may be able to ask Ramtech if there is a way to do it

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > ASK A DODGE RAM TECH! > SUBMIT YOUR QUESTIONS!
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 02-21-2015, 08:42 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: Black
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:25
IBEW3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetmanlv View Post
hey guys, well i just programmed my door opener and it works very well. maybe to well. i understand the convenience is nice, maybe too nice for some less than trust worthy people to open my garage door when im not home. It appears as long as the "door is open" anyone can just hit the home link button and open my door. Wouldn't it be better if this homelink button circuit was on a Run/start circuit?? is there a was to change it? I don't want to hear from you saying, "Well....thats why you lock your door" or "Dont crack your windows while your truck is outside" please keep those comments to yourselves. Thanks.

To your point, the same goes for people who leave their 3rd party garage door remotes on their visor or in their console. I don't use either for the very same reason and remind my friends and relatives as well. It's basically a key to your house.

Black boxes work well for the older generation of RF devices. If your device uses a "rolling code", intercepting the signal won't do any good.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 laramie
Trim Level: laramie
Color: silver
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
m109ram is on a distinguished road

My truck is in the garage, probem solved.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black
TrevT1 is on a distinguished road

I agree with this. The key should have to be in the ignition for it to work. I'm amazed that the people at Ram haven't realized this.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
MrHammond is on a distinguished road

I agree, I could not believe they let it operative without the FOB. Very poor Judgement. If you don't park in a garage, don't use it, very dangerous
Old 03-04-2015, 06:56 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Big horn Crew V6 Navy Blu
Trim Level: Big Horny
Color: Navy
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Notgrownup is on a distinguished road

I have insurance, I don't worry about it too much.