DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-21-2013, 08:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:367
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice
Default Anyone done an HID fog install on a 3rd gen with no issues??

Hi all. As usual, I have searched and read for hours before posting this question. Not saying the answer isn't here somewhere, just that I can't bear to read anymore, lol.

I am looking to improve the appearance and light output of my truck relatively cheaply. I have considered the "high performance" halogens as well as LED fogs but both of those have their drawbacks and to accomplish what I want I think HID is the only answer. I have pretty much decided to stick with the fogs only for several reasons.

So has anyone here installed HIDs into their OEM fogs on a third gen Ram with no issues??

I assume with a 35W kit I won't cause any heat related issues?

Do I need a relay/harness kit or can the OEM wiring handle the extra initial current draw?

What are your experiences with RF interference? My stereo is already slightly weak because of the shorty antenna....I don't need to make it any worse.

Thanks!!
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.

Last edited by starquestbd22; 06-21-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 06-21-2013, 09:46 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Rep:184
ORT has a spectacular aura aboutORT has a spectacular aura about

I have hid's in all of my lights. The fogs were just plug and play. I have been running them for years like that with no issues at all. The fogs haven't given me any issues with RF interference either. Having them on has made no difference in reception.
Sidewinder Cam/Edge Converter/Pacesetter LT's/SCT&SC Stack/Hemifever Tune/BFI #32/20% UD Pulley/Fastman TB/Triple Pillar/1 TonCooler/Sonnax/E-Cutout/Venom Hood/SRT Bumper/Roll Pan/HID's/Aeroforce Wideband/E-Fan/Hellwig/2" Drop/170 Stat/D&S Rotors/Remote Start/Hella 500's/5% Tint/Black Everything
Old 06-21-2013, 10:31 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Put HID kits on my lows (with a computer warning canceler/anti flicker harness) and on my fogs without any harness. I've had no issues with flicker, warning lights or RF interference.
I used the OEM fog light housing so I only did 35W because of the light scatter and WOW! they light up the night very well. Let us know how it goes and post a pic or two. Have fun!
Old 06-21-2013, 10:56 AM

starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

Thanks fellas. What kits did you guys use? I'm leaning towards either the Nightvision kit or the economy kit in 35W 6000k from DDM Tuning.

I want to stick with the fogs for now but I may eventually decide to do the lows as well. All the issues with making them work properly and some of the stories about the extreme glare and scatter of the stock housings worry me a bit. Roger, are those the stock headlight housings in your photo? It looks like you may have projectors or angel eyes in there.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:09 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Rep:184
ORT has a spectacular aura aboutORT has a spectacular aura about

Put them in all of the lights, you'll love it. I even have them in my Hellas. They really put out a lot of light.
Sidewinder Cam/Edge Converter/Pacesetter LT's/SCT&SC Stack/Hemifever Tune/BFI #32/20% UD Pulley/Fastman TB/Triple Pillar/1 TonCooler/Sonnax/E-Cutout/Venom Hood/SRT Bumper/Roll Pan/HID's/Aeroforce Wideband/E-Fan/Hellwig/2" Drop/170 Stat/D&S Rotors/Remote Start/Hella 500's/5% Tint/Black Everything
Old 06-22-2013, 01:12 AM
God Bless Texas!

RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Stock fogs but not stock heads. I replaced the stock heads with the Spyder Halos with projector low beams. Not impressed with the projector light output, but with the HIDs in my fogs, it really doesn't matter. And the Spyder smoked heads served its purpose which is to look good.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:43 PM

What brand kits are you guys using? Do you have capped bulbs on the fogs? I hear that the fogs really scatter the light and am wondering if the capped bulbs are necessary or will help any.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:06 PM
God Bless Texas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starquestbd22 View Post
What brand kits are you guys using? Do you have capped bulbs on the fogs? I hear that the fogs really scatter the light and am wondering if the capped bulbs are necessary or will help any.
OK, don't laff, 'cause I went really, really cheap. I spent a lot of money on other mods and really didn't want to "experiment" with $200 HID kits. I figured if these work, great! I can get better ones later. If not, then I'm not out too much. These worked and they look awesome. So, I'll run these until they go blooeeeyy and then put the "good" ones in. I ordered them off Amazon and couldn't be happier. HID Xenon Headlight "Slim" Conversion Kit by SDX, 9006, 6000K for my fogs, $29.99. HID Xenon Headlight "Slim" Conversion Kit by SDX, H1, 5000K for my projector lows, $39.99 and an HID Kit Computer Warning Canceller & Anti Flicker (1 Pair) for $6.99. So, for $80 bucks, delivered, I got HIDs for lows and fogs. I'm happy with them.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:49 PM

No, I won't laugh because the fog kit that I am looking at from DDM is about $40. Everything I have read says cheap is the way to go on the fogs.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:31 AM
God Bless Texas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starquestbd22 View Post
No, I won't laugh because the fog kit that I am looking at from DDM is about $40. Everything I have read says cheap is the way to go on the fogs.
Good deal. Hope they work out. Post a pic or two when you get them installed and running.