DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Notices

Body & Interior 4th Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-21-2013, 02:38 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1969
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future
Default OEM Chrome Horizontal Grille Inserts Installed

Replaced the stock OEM black honeycomb grille inserts with OEM chrome horizontal inserts on my truck. I've always loved the look of a billet style grille and for mods like this I'm definitely a fan of keeping OEM parts that fit correctly and properly. I definitely didn't want to add the cheep inserts that you can attached to your existing grille. Really half assed if you ask me....

Got these inserts off Amazon for around $160 plus shipping (which was around $20 I believe? Not sure as I ordered few other things at the same time) Here's the link if anyone is interested:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009NUJQSU/..._M3T1_ST1_dp_1

As far as the install goes it was fairly simple. Remove the plastic cover on top of the radiator. Remove the 4 bolts along the top of the grille. Then tilt it slightly forward and pull outwards. It's a little nerve wracking as it seems as if you're going to break something but they will come, don't worry. Also you don't have to tilt the grille very far forwards. I read a few threads saying it had to be at about 45 degrees... not true at all. It only has to be about 10 degrees in order to clear the plastic "locks" on the bottom clips.

From there I placed the grille face down on a soft surface and slowly undid all the clips holding the insert onto the grille shell. A few of them were definitely a pain to get off. I found the best way was to have two small flat head screw drivers and try to get at the clips from both sides. It also helps to have someone available to hold the grille if needed.

Once all the clips were off the inserts just pull right out and the new ones can go back on. Then it's just the reverse steps to attach it back to the truck. Definitely an easy mod even if you don't have much mechanical experience. It just takes some patience with the removing the clips.

And because I know what people would say if I didn't show these, here are the pictures!

Stock OEM black honeycomb grille:

No grille (big gaping hole):

New OEM chrome horizontal grille:

Also on a side note.... because of my busy schedule and wanting to get this mod done before a road trip this weekend I took the grille out Wednesday night and left it out Thursday until I could install the new one. I drove about 160 kms (100 miles) Thursday for work and definitely noticed that I wasn't getting as good of fuel economy. I could feel it and my Bully Dog verified with numbers (about a 1-2 MPG drop). It was also a very rainy day so that might have played into it a bit. I'm assuming it was the combination of changing the front end aerodynamics and allowing much more air into the engine compartment aka more wind resistance. Who knew a grille could make the much of a difference.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Sponsored links
Old 06-22-2013, 11:48 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:364
spoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nice

It looks great- You are correct about this Ram community- you could put up a post saying you just changed out your license plate frame and the good folks of the Z will be ... "Where are the pictures man"???
On that note... you should offer up your honeycomb for sale.... seems like every time I turn around someones is looking for that grille so they can get rid of their chrome..... of course you'll need many pictures of it HA!
Old 06-22-2013, 12:08 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Thanks spoiler!

I definitely will be putting the black honeycomb one for sale. I have a couple people interested already. I just have to get shipping quotes when I'm back home next week.

8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Old 06-28-2013, 01:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 RAM 1500
Trim Level: sport
Color: white
Rep:13
galfer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
Thanks spoiler!

I definitely will be putting the black honeycomb one for sale. I have a couple people interested already. I just have to get shipping quotes when I'm back home next week.

like me!!!
Old 06-28-2013, 02:12 AM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by galfer View Post
like me!!!
Hey galfer sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I've ended up being super busy after work all week and wasn't able to get any measurements or quotes.

So it turns out my dad went and threw away the box my new inserts came in so I can't measure that for a quote. What I'll do is measure the inserts themselves and base a box size on that and see what comes up. I'll try and get that for you by this weekend.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 RAM 1500
Trim Level: sport
Color: white
Rep:13
galfer is on a distinguished road

No problem. You had said you were going out of town if I recall so I wasn't worried about it. I just ordered hids and would like to do those and the grill at the same tI'm instead of pulling it apart twice so I started looking again..

Here's my number for an easier way to reach me when you do find something out. 321-323-4525

Thanks bud
Old 07-04-2013, 08:58 PM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: '15 Ram 1500 EcoD (ordered)
Trim Level: Longhorn: CC, 6'4"
Color: Granite Crystal
Rep:1787
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Looks much better on your truck than the honey comb
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 07-04-2013, 10:25 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Thanks Andrew. I definitely agree. Pulls together the chrome and wheels even more and helps dress up the front end a bit. My next front end thing will be getting a painted upper bumper cover rather than the textured plastic one. That should look a lot better as well.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:30 PM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: '15 Ram 1500 EcoD (ordered)
Trim Level: Longhorn: CC, 6'4"
Color: Granite Crystal
Rep:1787
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

You got reps from me.... So i like it

Did you swap with someone?
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 07-04-2013, 10:47 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Nice! Thanks for those!

Nope I ended up just buying the inserts off Amazon. Trying to figure out a good deal to swap with someone just wasn't working out and I was impatient. lol. I'll probably sell the honeycomb ones now though. Unfortunately my dad threw out the box my new inserts came in so I dunno how I'm going to ship these ones now though.