DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-22-2013, 12:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 express
Rep:10
injineer is on a distinguished road
Default dealer transportation fee?

The salesman says after an extensive search he's finally located the ram with the options that I requested but it's about 400 miles away and he has to charge me a $400 transportation fee to get it to me. I might understand that if I was requesting a special model with uncommon features but I don't think I'm looking for anything out of the ordinary. Don't they already charge us a destination fee anyway? The other thing is do I really want a "brand new" vehicle with over 400 miles on it(maybe they'd trailer it?)? I know it's not really a big deal but then again... Here's what I requested:

2013 Ram 1500 express
Flame Red
crew cab
4x4
popular equipment group
receiver hitch
integrated trailer brake
rubber floor mats

This particular vehicle has a few additional options as well such as:

anti-slip rear
3.92 gears
chrome clad wheels
back up camera
premium display package
CD player

All of these options I can live with and as a matter of fact after searching the site I think I'd really appreciate the anti slip rear with the 3.92 gears. I just get the feeling he's already trying to pull one over on me and we haven't even started haggling over the price. I wouldn't be surprised if this truck is down the street or already on the lot. I don't mind paying a little more than I planned on if I'm getting some cool gadget or something but not if it's for some made up fee.

Thanks for any wisdom into the matter.
Sponsored links
Old 06-22-2013, 01:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Hemi 8-speed
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:883
RedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to behold

Well I don't know where you are from, but I'm going to guess a small down somewhere?

I say that because it would appear that you don't have another dealer close by to go and talk to.

If there is another dealer near by then I would see if they could find your truck, and see if they give you the same story about delivery charges.

Here in Toronto they charge us Freight and PDI from wherever the truck is made, but I don't recall ever having to pay an extra charge to have the vehicle sent over from another dealer?

In fact I had mine sent over from another dealer and they didn't charge me anything.

The only thing that I will say is that the 2013's are getting priced better as they make way for the 2014's, so you could have a harder time finding the one that you want.

I would consider telling the dealer that if he is going to charge me that extra charge, that I am going to wait for the 2014's now and head out the door to another place.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:24 AM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

I think that the salesman is just trying to pad his commission. I've had several vehicles "found" for me, and I've never had to pay extra for delivery/ destination.

Keeping that in mind, all of my vehicles were dealer trades, meaning that they gave one of theirs for the one I was buying. They drove one up there, and then drove mine back.

If they're trying to charge you $400 find out what this extra money is buying you. If they're hiring a freight company then by all means pay it, but if they're just sending "Joey" up to get it, so that he can drive it back then argue, bitch, and complain until they realize that you're not about to be willingly taken for a ride.

good luck

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 06-22-2013, 05:04 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram RT
Trim Level: RT
Color: Steel Blue Metallic
Rep:136
ValleyRacer will become famous soon enoughValleyRacer will become famous soon enough
Default Organize the financing.........

At the dealer you've been using, organize the financing etc, then tell the salesperson or dealer ship you'll go get the truck - it's yours if you pay for it.
Screw that $400 stuff.
'My mom reached in and removed the "added dealer mark up" tag in her 2013 Corolla.
Don't let anyone gouge you financially.

Last edited by ValleyRacer; 06-22-2013 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Restore deleted text
Old 06-22-2013, 06:05 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 2WD Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT w/Big Horn EQ GP
Color: True Blue Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:119
plumcrazy73 will become famous soon enoughplumcrazy73 will become famous soon enough

call the dealer that has the one that you are wanting and start dealing with them over the phone or internet.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:36 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Maximum Steel
Rep:39
tev9999 is on a distinguished road

It is an additional cost to the dealer to do a trade with another one, so they are just passing that cost on to you. There is paperwork involved to transfer the vehicle, not to mention a driver to move it 400 miles. If they trailer it, there is another cost. $400 is not all that unreasonable. What would you charge to drive 12 hours round trip and burn $150 in gas?

They are also probably playing the emotional angle of it. They know you want that exact truck and will probably pay more for it, so there is less incentive for them to deal.

Look at online inventory and find a truck and deal directly with that dealer. All dealers would prefer to sell off their lot vs trying to find one somewhere else. If you do the legwork, you can save the money for yourself.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 express
Rep:10
injineer is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone. You all have brought up really good points. I think it's the color I requested, flame red, that's making it more difficult to locate as it's one of the less common colors. I also like the white so I'm going to see what he can find in that color. It should be much easier to find one with the options I'm looking for since its more common.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:54 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram SLT LONESTAR
Trim Level: 1500 SLT LONESTAR QC
Color: White
Rep:99
aepowell will become famous soon enough

I also couldn't find a Flame Red one anywhere with what I wanted on it, so I took a white one. I,m liking it better all the time.

Aepowell Sherman,TX.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:25 AM
MOPAR or no Car

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Black / Gold
Rep:145
madhatr02 will become famous soon enoughmadhatr02 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumcrazy73 View Post
call the dealer that has the one that you are wanting and start dealing with them over the phone or internet.
Yup and just to get a jab in I would ask the dealership that wants $400 for transport the name of the other dealership saying you will just deal with them directly.

It is called a dealer trade, your dealership sends them something they want and they send your truck, making you pay for it is just them trying to cover some $$$. It also does sound a little small townish but I could be wrong.

2013 Laramie Longhorn
aka "The Enterprise"
Old 06-23-2013, 08:45 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 2WD Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT w/Big Horn EQ GP
Color: True Blue Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:119
plumcrazy73 will become famous soon enoughplumcrazy73 will become famous soon enough

go in talk to them, get the deal on paper, if they are sloppy they will show you the computer screen, or paperwork and you can get the name of the dealer, or get the deal they are proposing on paper probably will have the vin, and then use that to search for the vehicle that way, I know because that is what I did on 2 different vehicles, the local dealer found them , would not give me a good price but gave me enough info to search for them, i found the trucks and dealt with them directly on both, one did not want to give a good deal, the other , well i bought the truck.

ask questions like how far away is the truck, what dealer has it, during small talk, request to see it on the computer so you can look it over.